Would It Be Important To You To Have Wireless Coils ?

For me to want wireless coils the cost needs to come down lots . If I can keep buying wired coils for about a third of the cost of wireless ones that alone is enough as far as I’m concerned.

Wireless headphones is something I don’t leave home without it and it’s something all can afford.

Chuck 

• Like 1

I never used wireless coils so maybe there’s an advantage that I can’t think of. The coil wires have never been an inconvenience, extra cost and something else to charge would be.

Wireless headphones on the other hand, are a different story. I do a lot of detecting around trees and in the woods and many times I’ve had wired headphones pulled off of my head because the wire got snagged. Also, it’s nice to be able to set your detector down and walk away from it easily. 

Joe

• Like 2

There is already a small amount of delay even with low latency wireless headphone systems. Wireless headphones can also suffer from interference and dropouts. It seems to me that wireless coils would be even more susceptible to EMI and more inherent delay and they would not perform submerged unless there is some new technology available that I am not aware of. That technology would come a quite a price too.

• Like 1

I'm a no vote too.  There are more important areas of improvement that I would be interested in, like real EMI reduction.  If you could shield most of the machine's electronics and maybe the top of the coil (somehow) to greatly reduce susceptibility  to EMI, I would definitely pay more for that.  All I can picture with a wireless coil is getting to my digging site and turning on the machine only to see the coil go silent due to a dead battery. I'm getting more impatient in my older years :laugh:

Being an XP Deus user for a while now, I am now of quite quite the opposite view on usage of wireless coils.  Is it crucially important to have a wireless coil, maybe not so, though it does throw up some advantages and conveniences that I have learnt to enjoy over the years.

Is there more EMI susceptibilty than a wired detector, not that I have experienced when compared to several other brands/models I have used, in fact it was probably worse on my previous Etrac and Explorer.  

The wireless connection between coil, control box and headphones works seamlessly and is extremely quick - no lag.  If you want to submerge the coil, there is a relatively cheap aerial kit for that purpose to retain wireless capability.  As for being completely submerged, wired detectors still rule the roost in that respect.  

I often detect some pretty scrubby locations that have played havoc with wired coils in the past, including shielding and plug issues. Having no physical connection between control box and coil means less avenues for water ingress, corrosion, damage, and downtime whilst allowing a phycially smaller control box with obvious weight savings.

Being a true compact fold up detector, you could probably do without stressing cables from constantly folding and extending the shaft all the time. The time it takes to change out coils to startup is literally in seconds, no winding cables, and no fiddly and easily damaged plugs (hello AT Pro).

With regards to cost, I have no issue with the price considering how flexible these coils are for various fields of detecting, especially when combined with the adjustability of the Deus.  Some wired detectors do physically require different sized coils to achieve similar performance, especially if you have no direct control over things like recovery speeds other than in preset programs (ie single tone = deep/slow recovery, 5 tone = shallow/ fast recovery).  With the range of coils I have for my Racer 2, I could have made do with 2 Deus coils for pretty much the same price. 

Inbuilt batteries have never been an issue, if taking a few seconds to connect a coil to the charging clip is an inconvenience, then life must be pretty hard.  Forget to charge up ovenight, only 15 mins charge though my vehicles's USB port will give me an hour of detecting, or I can run off a small portable power packcwhilst detecting, or just swap out to another fully charged coil.  Forget batteries heading out to a remote spot with your wired detector and you have nothing but a long drive ahead of you, and probably a few choice swear words.  Going on three years now and still getting good charge on my wireless coils.

Introducing electronics and battery into the coil has not come with the expense of weight, as any Deus owner knows these carbon fibre impregnated coils are extremely light to swing.  Aside from that we are now seeing electronics introduced into coil desIgns on a more regular basis (thinking Nox, CTX etc), so can't be too far off taking the next step to wireless capability. 

Why don't we see more manufacturers utilising wireless coils, probably for the same reason we don't see more manufacturers making true multi-frequency detectors - patents etc.

Wireless headphones were initially scoffed at as a gimmick when introduced to the market compared to tradional wired units, these days several manufacturers will struggle to move their products wthout the inclusion of such technology.  

I'm not sure why we are looking at wireles coils from the perspective of being new tech, afterall the Deus has been around since 2009 with essentially the same product.  Will it happen for US manufacturers, probably not, MInelab, maybe.

• Like 3

Wireless headphones offer a benefit. We don’t need to be physically connected to the detector should we set it down or walk away. Wireless coils confer no such benefit. As Dubious noted above the coil has to be connected to the handle anyway. Removing the cable adds the need for a battery that must be charged regularly and serviced periodically. Any weight saved removing the cable just puts the saved weight farther forward in the form of a battery, making detectors that are already nose-heavy even more so.

Worst of all it adds significantly to the cost of each coil. I much prefer wired coils that cost under $200. However, even if wireless coils could be constructed for the same price, I would choose wired coils if offered the choice. I personally derive no benefit from a coil being wireless.

• Like 2

...It's progress, in metal detectors ..- lightweight, compact,- the smallest and also the powerful detector ... .. this progress has its plus ,,...and also its minus-had battery capacity in the next years, it does not have to be enough for multi-frequency technology.

Coils are also more expensive because there is at least -50% of the detector.November20 iphone 5S 2018 002_DxO.jpg

• Like 1