Would It Be Important To You To Have Wireless Coils ?

14 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Wireless headphones offer a benefit. We don’t need to be physically connected to the detector should we set it down or walk away. Wireless coils confer no such benefit. As Dubious noted above the coil has to be connected to the handle anyway. Removing the cable adds the need for a battery that must be charged regularly and serviced periodically. Any weight saved removing the cable just puts the saved weight farther forward in the form of a battery, making detectors that are already nose-heavy even more so.

Worst of all it adds significantly to the cost of each coil. I much prefer wired coils that cost under $200. However, even if wireless coils could be constructed for the same price, I would choose wired coils if offered the choice. I personally derive no benefit from a coil being wireless.

Weight wise it becomes a bit of a moot point to a degree considering the addition of electronics in some of the latest detector coils - Equinox 11" coil - 524 grams, Deus 11" coil - 465 grams including skid plate.  Advances in coil construction with carbon fibre content also help lower overall weight to the point where the addition of miniaturised electronics and lithium batteries have negligible effect on balance.

Another couple of advantages include the ability to run more than one set of wireless headphones to the same coil should you want to learn on the run from a more experienced detectorist, or just have fun listening in. 

Secondly and more importantly is if you own two wireless coils, you can essentially create two separate detectors, one utilising the headphones for full control, and the other operated via the main remote.

I guess having wireless coils is one of those things that you have to experience over time to really appreciate the technology/benefits, just have to respect the fact that it is not for everyone.

• Like 3

Wireless coils aren't really needed if you have wireless headphones, although it's still pretty cool. 

After having a Deus for a while, I can't say that any downsides materialized. If you don't mind audio only sans-screen it's the only way to go, such a bare bones setup, it's like its not even real lol. It's like a tool or implement, perhaps weapon, not a detector.

If you're the type that must have a screen, then I agree the wireless coil may not offer as much of an advantage, other then snagging less brush, easier to clean and using multiple headphones. (Which can also be done with the Equinox WM-08 module.)

Also I might add that the lack of a wire reduces the risk of breakdown because the wire is usually the vulnerable part of the coil. Admittedly they wires on most coils are of good quality and don't really fail under normal use if you take care to leave some slack at both ends. Consequently a Deus is easy to break down and setup because there is no wire to carefully wind up.

As far as the built in battery, AFAIK they can be serviced, if you actually use your machine you will get an insane amount of detecting done before having to replace the battery. Years. If you're the type that stores a bunch detectors in a spare room, only to charge them once a year, then maybe a model that doesn't have a built in battery is better suit.

Now as far as cost of coils, there are a lot of regular coils that are basically the same price as a wireless coil, so that argument is moot depending on the actual coil shape you want. Personally I don't need a huge array of coils, so as long as the option is there to have 2 or 3 decent suitable coils, that is fine. I can only swing one coil at a time and too many choices can be paralyzing, IMO. 
As mentioned by Goldpick an extra coil makes an extra machine if you already have two headphones, or headphones and the remote. It's something for sure. 

When I switched from the Deus to the Equinox as a primary machine, I knew I may miss the wireless coils slightly. In reality I don't miss them during use, since I wanted the screen just for the sake of adjusting things it's OK to have a wire linking the coil and the screen. Slightly more work to clean and setup now, though it's a ritual I'm used to.

I can't say enough about the Deus, great machine, great experience. I kept my Deus equipment when I got the Equinox because I like it so much. It's a top shelf backup, great lightweight loaner for the nieces and nephews etc.

In reality, if there was a significantly better machine then the Equinox that had wired headphones, wired coil and cost twice as much I would buy it.
I am not a mainstream customer consumer, I consider myself to be in the upper echelon of detectorists. It's not arrogant, you have to know where you stand in relation to your competitors to be successful. Consequently, machines may get designed for the masses no matter how much I stomp my feet, it's a fine line.

It's like that old debate about cordless tools, it just depends on the job. There are times when a big heavy corded saw is the way to go, other times a cordless saw does the job. If a cordless saw will always do the work for you, then why drag around a heavy corded one?
If a cordless saw isn't up to the job, then a big heavy corded saw would be more welcome.

I especially love how the Deus coil never shuts off, it blinks all winter long ready to go, such enthusiasm.

• Like 5

Yes it blinks very long, you definitely will keep it blinking also the whole winter  :smile:...-good optical function of the battery charge status ..- I would appreciate this feature at any metal detector ..

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 11:45 PM, Goldpick said:

I guess having wireless coils is one of those things that you have to experience over time to really appreciate the technology/benefits, just have to respect the fact that it is not for everyone.

You nailed it in the second part of your statement. Because it is not a matter of using the technology over time and learning to appreciate it. I have used wireless coils and simply disagree there is any benefit to them at all - for me and my purposes. I see them as a net negative to be avoided. I also fully appreciate that you think there are advantages to be had - for you and your purposes. It is not a moral question, a right or wrong thing, an argument to be won. It is personal preference, and I prefer wired coils. You prefer wireless. It’s that simple.

If I want to buy multiple detectors I will buy them. I don’t want to buy another detector when all I need is another coil. I don’t accept that just because some companies overcharge for wired coils that the price issue is moot. Standard size wired coils should sell for under $200 and larger than 11” sizes between $200 and $300.

• Like 1

The wireless coil for couch potatoes.?

Land drone with wireless coil + GPS logger + physical marking chit(drop plastic poker chip) etc.  Folding lawn chair with umbrella and beverage holder(very important!).

Useful for athletic fields, flat beaches, and golf courses(night time only).

• Haha 1

The sky is falling is it?

That is a strawman argument. The electronics in the coil of the Deus have proven to be reliable. Now what?
Go to google and actually try and find a broken Deus.

The Xterra had a wire and electronics in the coil, oh no!

When the wire on a coil fails, it usually fails at the stress relief entering the coil, a spot not easily fixed.

It was merely an anecdotal benefit of not having to fix a wire, same as headphones.

You go through so many metal detectors its sad you don't appreciate quality when you see it. Its probably the best built machine on the market.

If Deus didn't have a patent on it, there would be more companies "messing about" with wireless coils. These machines can run headless, and that is cool.

Well I am talking about the Deus because it is the only wireless machine within the basis of reality, which is where I happen to live.

You're acting like other detectors don't have electronics at all.

If it's in the coil, who cares. You haven't actually demonstrated one real world scenario where the electronics in the coil has caused an issue that a wired coil would have avoided.

As far as failure rates, I'm not falling for the "gotcha" type questioning. Of course I don't have access to the literal number of failures and neither do you. It's such a loaded question, failure rate has as much to do with execution as it does complexity of the device.

After 10 years of sales, it's rare to see anything on the internet in regards to a broken Deus.

Your points of debate are very 2009.

• Like 1

For me, the only issue I have is charging another thing when I get home. I'm lazy what can I say :laugh: My way of thinking is that a wireless coil does not entice me to buying a particular machine, but if it comes with one, I am fine with that and will enjoy it. Kind of like buying a car... Don't need really need AC or power windows or nice chrome rims, BUT I will gladly accept them if they are there :wink: The patent comment may be correct or not. If there is a patent, and if another company wanted to, they would invest in finding a way around it. What I feel it comes down to is that it is way cheaper to make the simple coils we are used to.  Profit margins must be very high considering what is in the standard coil we have been buying all these years.  I do agree that I have not heard of many issues with Deus and unreliability. Honestly if I were to not have a Minelab, Deus would be my next pick, because they do invest in modernizing their machines and updates (including wireless coil technology). It's just a matter of taste and is not right or wrong.

• Like 3

...one of the most common damage to the coils is a cable or connector ... as is the case with audio earphones. The only downside with cordless coils ... is the price and .. less battery capacity ..- fewer possibilities than the detector performance...

• Like 1

Hi

I commented about this topic earlier and I did not particularly feel one way or the other except for possible EMI issues, especially since I have never used an XP Deus. That has changed since I had a friend who had too many detectors and asked me if I had tried a Deus and would I want to buy one of his. I jumped on the deal and am extremely impressed with this detector. I have the 9" round HF coil along with all the other bells and whistles. I'm afraid that it will take me the rest of my retirement to explore this detector's many features and possibilities which should be fun. I have not noticed any more EMI or ground interference problems than I have with my Nox 800 or F19. It operates fairly quietly, is sturdy, and feels wonderfully well balanced. The HF coil at 30 and 55 kHz completely nails my prospecting test bed as well as my former Gold Monster,  my Nox 800 with the 6 inch coil and quite a bit better than my F19 (which is understandable). That was in the stock Gold Field program with no adjustments. When I actually learn how to use it more expertly the results could be even better.  It should be a very good prospecting/relic detector and will get some coin and jewelry use too at 15kHz. 

Jeff

• Like 1