phrunt

Coiltek Anti Interference Coils

Has anyone had any experience with the Coiltek Anti Interference coils?  Interference is the thing I like the least about my GPX and these are said to work right under power lines.  I realize I can use a DD and Cancel mode and so on, but was wondering if these are even better?

Goldhunting Anti-Interference Series

The Anti-Interference series is unique to Coiltek. These four coils are used in regions around the world where there is high interference from power lines, salt lakes and other environments that cause electro‑magnetic interference.

There are options in the series which are lightweight and easy to manoeuvre with good pinpointing ability. Another option is a large, unique drag style coil for the ultimate in coverage and performance for gold and treasure hunting. This combination of good sensitivity and depth coupled with good ground coverage and low noise from external influences opens up greater possibilities in many gold and treasure fields around the world.

https://www.coiltek.com.au/coils/goldhunting-anti-interference/

• Like 1

I had the 11" DD version of the anti interference coil.  In the states, we have relic hunt gatherings and the most popular detectors are the GPX machines.  There may be 350 of them in one field.  So needless to say, interference is the biggest issue. We thought we would try those coils just to have a leg up on the competition.  I don't know anybody that actually liked the coils.  My experience was just the 11 inch version but it didn't have no where near the depth of the Commander 11" coil.  It also somehow changed the audio of the machine.  Several of us noted this, even with the different size coils.  It was different enough that you would have to relearn the machine.  I sold mine.  I did not really notice any reduction in EMI either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

I had the 11" DD version of the anti interference coil.  In the states, we have relic hunt gatherings and the most popular detectors are the GPX machines.  There may be 350 of them in one field.  So needless to say, interference is the biggest issue. We thought we would try those coils just to have a leg up on the competition.  I don't know anybody that actually liked the coils.  My experience was just the 11 inch version but it didn't have no where near the depth of the Commander 11" coil.  It also somehow changed the audio of the machine.  Several of us noted this, even with the different size coils.  It was different enough that you would have to relearn the machine.  I sold mine.  I did not really notice any reduction in EMI either.

Thanks, just what I needed to hear.   You just saved me some $

Hi Simon,

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I had a 14" round anti-interference Coiltek for my GP 30000...

minelab-gp-3500-metal-detector.jpg.b8bd2
Minelab GP 3000 with Coiltek 14" Anti-Interference Coil

The coils are a figure 8 winding. Like a mono but with a twist in the middle. That means the forward half of the coil is in reverse polarity to the rear of the coil. This in turn means that the coil is weak in the middle where the windings overlap, and that the tones are reversed front to rear. So a target that goes lo-hi on the front half of the coil will go hi-lo on the rear of the coil. Again, the signal in the middle can be weak or muddled because of this crossover point.

The coils were designed for use on salt flats and around power lines. In fact they used to be called "Salt Coils" because they worked well on salt flats, and the anti-interference properties were not touted until later. I am not aware of them ever being billed as a way to reduce interference between two Minelabs. They do work to reduce or eliminate interference from power mains. The reason I used this coil at this location was high tension power lines in the area.

• Like 3

Thanks Steve, I'm not fussed about other GPX's in the area as that would be extremely rare, I was considering one for power lines as they've rapidly become my enemy when using my GPX and so much of our gold country has high voltage power lines running all around it from all the hydro lakes... any little tool to help is a good tool.

After I bought mine, the first place I took it to was a Civil War camp we had found with high tension powerlines that run thru the center of it.  The ground is really bad there and I knew a pulse machine would work best but even with running small coils on the GPX (5x10 and 8" round), and all kind of setting changes, I never could get it to run stable without that motorboating from the power lines when near or under them.  I hoped that coil would help me be able to hunt in there.  That's why I went with an 11 inch over the bigger coils too...hoped it would be less prone to emi.  In my experience, the smaller coils helped more with the interference  than the CoilTek did.  But that was just me. 

I would love to be in that area with a GPX when a major pair outage hits for about an hour or two.  I'd hit it hard.   

• Like 1

Glad I saw this. I was seriously thinking of getting the 11" and 14" coils. Mainly because it stated that they were very close in depth to the non interference coil and that the discrimination would still work (one thing you lose when you use cancel mode). My interference is the train. When it's quiet on the beach I can just pluck the silvers from it. When the EMI starts, I'm lucky if I can even hear any of the more shallow ones. I was hoping these coils worked. Thanks for posting this topic.

So this is the information I thought was true. I read the parts carefully about how it compares to the DD coil and how the iron reject still works. They almost sold me on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CoilTek-11-Anti-interference-Coil-for-Minelab-SD-GP-GPX-Gold-Prospecting/201018963394?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649