End Of The Season At The Cabin

IdahoPeg

Nice gold....!!!!!  Looks like you've got a kick-ass claim also!!!!  Hard to tell from the phone pics but the size of that snout on the "yote" looks TO ME like you may have a wolf on cam and not a yote. (jmo)…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

Nice gold....!!!!!  Looks like you've got a kick-ass claim also!!!!  Hard to tell from the phone pics but the size of that snout on the "yote" looks TO ME like you may have a wolf on cam and not a yote. (jmo)…..

Yes, he does look a lot like a wolf, however I heard barking and yipping before I saw him...definitely sounded like a coyote. I used to see quite a few wolves at my previous cabin which was in more remote higher country....and this yote does resemble them, had me confused a bit.

2 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

I always heard wolves hated coyotes and would kill him

Definitely! Any canine is at risk....that’s why I’m pretty sure this is a coyote, as I hear them a lot here, wolves very rarely. Some folks say large dogs and wild wolves have bred, though I’ve only seen dogs getting killed by them. But who knows? Maybe love is blind and this one I’ve seen is a mix!

8 hours ago, IdahoPeg said:

Yes, he does look a lot like a wolf, however I heard barking and yipping before I saw him...definitely sounded like a coyote. I used to see quite a few wolves at my previous cabin which was in more remote higher country....and this yote does resemble them, had me confused a bit.

Hello Peg…the distant photo looks to me to be more wolf than coyote, but that is only an impression. It is possible that it could be a hybrid despite that in natural environments historically we observe that wolves do attack and kill coyotes. But here in Ontario a highly unusual phenomenon has occurred in recent natural history.

The Grey Wolf of Algonquin Park has mated with our traditional Eastern Coyote to produce a new species classified as the Coywolf. These animals reproduce and grow to approximately double the size of the Eastern Coyote. The adult male Coywolf generally tips the scale at about 80 lbs. Barking, howling and yipping is typical nightly Coywolf behavior, particularly as the summer season advances to autumn.

Field studies indicate that these animals exhibit typical coyote behavioral patterns, and have quickly migrated across the eastern part of the continent to the Atlantic coast. The last article I reviewed a few years ago was about the Coywolf population in Chicago, so indications are that this animal is able to migrate and adjust to different habitats similar to coyote populations. At the moment I have no idea how far west Coywolf populations have been established. The link below briefly overviews the Coywolf activity in Ottawa, Ontario. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/residents-wary-afraid-increased-coyote-activity-1.4158127

On a different note, congratulations on a successful season Peg, your gold looks just dandy and your claim looks like a bit of heaven. All the very best to you over the winter in Florida, and let’s hope that you can find some of that elusive Spanish Gold!!! :smile:

Jim.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jim Hemmingway said:

Hello Peg…the distant photo looks to me to be more wolf than coyote, but that is only an impression. It is possible that it could be a hybrid despite that in natural environments historically we observe that wolves do attack and kill coyotes. But here in Ontario a highly unusual phenomenon has occurred in recent natural history.

The Grey Wolf of Algonquin Park has mated with our traditional Eastern Coyote to produce a new species classified as the Coywolf. These animals reproduce and grow to approximately double the size of the Eastern Coyote. The adult male Coywolf generally tips the scale at about 80 lbs. Barking, howling and yipping is typical nightly Coywolf behavior, particularly as the summer season advances to autumn.

Field studies indicate that these animals exhibit typical coyote behavioral patterns, and have quickly migrated across the eastern part of the continent to the Atlantic coast. The last article I reviewed a few years ago was about the Coywolf population in Chicago, so indications are that this animal is able to migrate and adjust to different habitats similar to coyote populations. At the moment I have no idea how far west Coywolf populations have been established. The link below briefly overviews the Coywolf activity in Ottawa, Ontario. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/residents-wary-afraid-increased-coyote-activity-1.4158127

On a different note, congratulations on a successful season Peg, your gold looks just dandy and your claim looks like a bit of heaven. All the very best to you over the winter in Florida, and let’s hope that you can find some of that elusive Spanish Gold!!! :smile:

Jim.

Jim, thanks for the fascinating info on the Coywolf....possibly what my guy is? Either way, cool looking canine....and you should’ve seen how he was was eyeing my pup! She was like Velcro on me as we were walking by, smart little girl.

I’d be tickled pink to even find a silver piece of eight....maybe this year! Thanks?

• Like 1