Jump to content
cjc

CTX Battery Contacts Fix Sought

Recommended Posts

My old model CTX leaked in salt and the plate that goes into the cell (housing side) has been eaten off. Anyone have this problem and find a way to restore ;contact?   I'm looking at a bit of copper wire in the slot to contact where the plate sat...brutal makes me sick how bad this gasket seating is on this model.  Ive tried everything to keep it dry. 

cjc

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, cjc said:

My old model CTX leaked in salt and the plate that goes into the cell (housing side) has been eaten off. Anyone have this problem and find a way to restore ;contact?   I'm looking at a bit of copper wire in the slot to contact where the plate sat...brutal makes me sick how bad this gasket seating is on this model.  Ive tried everything to keep it dry. 

cjc

I just had my CTX repaired for that reason. I believe it was repaired at a dealer in PA (USA). Mine ate the terminals and my brand new battery connections. I found that the battery is shaped a bit funny (Has a ridge on it) and if you do not make sure visually that it is seated properly, it can hang up a bit and not be seated correctly. Feels like it's on good, by visually you can see that it wasn't tight against the machine. It was easier to have it repaired. I'm not sure if there is a good fix for it. Mine happened when I bought a new battery (new style?). I had put on better "O" rings and it worked well, until I bought that new battery. Leaked first time out. I hope someone has a fix for you to try, but I would consider getting a quote to just repair it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean one of these metal blades has corroded completely off?

battery-seat-minelab-ctx-3030-gpz-7000.jpg
Battery seat Minelab CTX 3030 and GPZ 7000

Presumably somebody way better than I could solder a new metal blade in place but beyond my skill.

From http://parts.minelab.com/category-s/118.htm

Bulkhead, Assy Control Box CTX 3030 with Flex Cct Part# 0705-0062

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey thanks a lot for your information--for sure it's hard to know when the cell is situated right--I tapped it manually seated it--the whole bit but somehow water poured in.  I'm looking at the soldering job--pretty much the same conclusion--it's a flush surface.  Really appreciate your response--Im in the Dominican Republic--might give it a hail Mary!

Kind Regards clive

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You mean one of these metal blades has corroded completely off?

battery-seat-minelab-ctx-3030-gpz-7000.jpg
Battery seat Minelab CTX 3030 and GPZ 7000

Presumably somebody way better than I could solder a new metal blade in place but beyond my skill.

From http://parts.minelab.com/category-s/118.htm

Bulkhead, Assy Control Box CTX 3030 with Flex Cct Part# 0705-0062

Yep, The blade wasted away. It's leaked 3 times and I finally replaced the gaskets with more durable ones that I saw on You Tube. A guy that was diving pretty deep with his machine, gave a parts list of his upgrades. It worked, so I decided my original battery was getting old so I bought a new one not realizing it was a redesign to help with the original gasket issue. it leaked while I was digging where the waves break on the shore. Here's some pic of it. The sand on the gasket is from when I was at home in my basement. I have always removed and cleaned gasket before every hunt.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the true failure rates were on the CTX? There would be manufacturer defect stuff like a bad o-ring. And there would also be operator error stuff. I am sure most CTX units that got used in the water never never leaked but beyond that it is hard to get a handle on. There are lots of examples on the forums that leaks do happen, no question about that. I am sorry yours was one of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I wonder what the true failure rates were on the CTX? There would be manufacturer defect stuff like a bad o-ring. And there would also be operator error stuff. I am sure most CTX units that got used in the water never never leaked but beyond that it is hard to get a handle on. There are lots of examples on the forums that leaks do happen, no question about that. I am sorry yours was one of them.

Thanks Steve. Once the blade loses it's (Nickel?) plating and exposes the copper, it was game over. After I cleaned all that gunk off of the blade, it started to crumble and then broke off while getting ready for another hunt. I remember the forums light up about it, and a fair number of people had that issue. It's a wonderful. powerful beach machine, especially with the 17" coil and using long tones. I would still be using it if it were not for that. I have not tried it since it was completely repaired (looks pretty new) and will be selling it soon. I kind of miss the sound of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had mine fixed since new cell and all but first time in--seemed properly seated but fifteen minutes--full of water.  Cant help thinking that new bulkkhead and all--it's the old clips; that are worn.  Ive put a sliver of plastic in each side of the cell (Akalikne, not the second burnt out rechargeable) to make for a tighter seal.  Not an impressive upgrade at all.  Very hard pressed to trust this machine in the water now.   Just can't seem to find a consistent way to keep it dry.   Shame great performer.

cjc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cjc said:

I've had mine fixed since new cell and all but first time in--seemed properly seated but fifteen minutes--full of water.  Cant help thinking that new bulkkhead and all--it's the old clips; that are worn.  Ive put a sliver of plastic in each side of the cell (Akalikne, not the second burnt out rechargeable) to make for a tighter seal.  Not an impressive upgrade at all.  Very hard pressed to trust this machine in the water now.   Just can't seem to find a consistent way to keep it dry.   Shame great performer.

cjc

That is my dilemma too. I just had it repaired and want to sell it but only if the buyer is aware that I can't vouch for it. It is an awesome machine on the beach, but I can't trust it in the water. I won't buy another rechargeable for it. But if I did, it would only be for dry use. I would use the alkaline pack for the water hunts. It's a lot cheaper to replace that pack. Kind of sad that the flagship machine, for me at least, was never waterproof long enough to enjoy it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cjc said:

I've had mine fixed since new cell and all but first time in--seemed properly seated but fifteen minutes--full of water.  Cant help thinking that new bulkkhead and all--it's the old clips; that are worn.  Ive put a sliver of plastic in each side of the cell (Akalikne, not the second burnt out rechargeable) to make for a tighter seal.  Not an impressive upgrade at all.  Very hard pressed to trust this machine in the water now.   Just can't seem to find a consistent way to keep it dry.   Shame great performer.

cjc

I honestly loved my CTX but a major reason for my owning it was water hunting. While there are some things CTX does better than the Equinox one reason I ditched my CTX immediately on getting the Equinox was this kind of uncertainty. Basically, every time I got in the water with the CTX I would worry about it leaking. Not a fun feeling with a $2500 detector. It remains to be seen how the Equinox holds up in the water long term, but the bottom line is I worry less about flooding an $800 detector than I do a $2500 detector. The issue is a real one and does affect people’s decisions on what to keep and what to let go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By kac
      Was in a field that was an orchard way back, had the Tejon cranked on sensitivity so it would just stop chattering. Going along and not even a peep for a while. Hit the all metal and nothing! Turned it off then on again and no signal! Figured I forgot to charge the lithium batteries as I usually do and of course I took the spares out of my pouch. Went home charged the batteries and they recharged really quick (usually take 2 hours from fully drained). Tossed them in, powered the machine up and Nothing!!! My heart sank. Checked to see if the headphones were ok and it turned out to be the inline audio volume switch was off. My guess is the switch would rub against my jacket and work its way off as I swung.
      All working good, taped the switch so it doesn't move 🙂
    • By californiagold
      Hello
      I havent been here in a while due to an injury. I decided to ride a mechanical bull for 10 seconds then jump off. But I landed wrong and tore my acl on my knee. I ended up with a partial seperation and tear. I ended up having surgery and im now doing therapy. it is a long slow process but I hope to get back detecting soon. Meanwhile I have plenty of time to study how to dismount a raging bull properly.  It will do me good to read some gold detecting stories on here; so I can remember what it is like to hunt for gold
      Good luc
    • By Au4Gold2
      This is more of a complaint issue post than anything else. My first GP handle lasted me 2 years or more before it gave wY and broke. The new one I have I bought about 6 months ago and just left be dead in the scrub with no paddle. My observation is Minelab is cutting costs and producing the new handles with a softer grade plastic and for people like myself who hunt daily it's not adequate. I am going to send these pictures to Minelab so they are aware that softer plastics Just don't cut the mustard! Anyone else had the same issue ? 



    • By Dingo Qld
      Here is a video every gold prospector should watch and take note of what not to do!
       
      http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/video/id-picXQ3eTrh5i8ZgmKQiwEEtz-cim98Dk/Lost-In-the-Outback
    • By cjc
      Anyone in North America able to work on an Aquasearch?  Kind of blares after coming off a target.  I've gotten different opinions on the problem--all above my electronics hat size (a "2").
      cjc 
    • By GaryM
      I'm getting only about 5-6" inches ,depth with on sensitivity setting of 15.  And when my wife or I run a hand down the coil the machine detects it and sounds off. Also,,can't say I'm a big fan of the teardrop coil can't came with it,is there a coil of close to the same size that would perform better??
×
×
  • Create New...