You Can 'Discriminate' With a 7000?

I've been out a few days with the Zed.  Sometimes there are some very hot rocks or 'formations' that are out of the ordinary even after ground balancing.  They are not quiet in high yield/normal.  So you switch to difficult.  It gets quieter.  Then you switch to severe and nothing or faint.

I used this same procedure on some targets before I dug them.  Not all targets would go silent but some that did were small parts of rusty cans and other iron.

It was not something I had to do often because I was hunting on hammered patches and nearly all of the trash was gone.  

Has anyone learned a discriminating procedure or just dig'em all and move on?

The problem is that you could easily miss gold that way. Each ground setting is less sensitive than the previous so a good target might also get quieter as you switch to Difficult and then to Severe and not just ground noise, especially tiny or deep targets.

Much harder is to track a target out. Or if you are in autotrack just swing the coil back and forth 5 or 6 times over the signal area, not big wide swings like when walking but enough to pass over the target completely from each direction. You will find that targets stay nice and sharp where as ground noise and hotrocks generally get more smoothy or track out all together. The tracking system on the GPZ in my experience so far is more powerful than the GPX.

As far as discriminating iron trash, I'm not sure what to think at this point. My experience is that the Z is slightly less sensitive to the rusty old iron stuff than the GPX was, and I'm still feeling that way but I can't really quantify it yet, but if that exists and isn't just something in my head then it's only slight and iron trash still definitely hits as a target which I can't track out.

As you may have read in other threads, it is possible to pass over some of the ultra tiny iron trash on or near surface if you are in areas where the gold is bigger and deep. I've used General for this, but I'm trying to ignore stuff that is like ~1 grain and under and basically on or near the surface. As others have noted, Extra Deep may find use for bigger stuff but a guy would need to do some experimenting to find what works.

• Like 1

You Can 'Discriminate' With a 7000?

The best discriminator I have found with any machine are my ears being a Beachie. On saying thatI cant prove this but I have a gut feeling the GPZ mark 11 might just have a few surprises leaning that way. ;)

ad...