Dumb Question

For some reason I have never turned on my machines in the house, i always go out in the field, or for VLFs the yard, and turned on there to learn.   I was curious if you turned on your machines like the Zed, PIs and VLFs inside, would it hurt the electroincs? Especially if its constanly overloading or going off on all the crazy EMI.  I just want to turn on to play with the settings and practice more with the buttons, etc.. Not actually detect.  Funny been detecting now for 5 years and never bothered to ask or try :laugh:

I’ve been doing it for many years and the only thing you may get is electrical inference. I’ve never seen it have a effect after I went out to detect with it.

Chuck 

• Like 2

No adverse effects on my VLF machines from turning on inside house.  Some work better than others inside (generally, turning sensitivity way down) but none very well compared to outside away from electrical interference.  Still, if you need to check something on the machine, you can do it.

• Like 1

Hi

Sometimes after having the GPZ on for long periods while manually transferring Find Points and Way Points to my computer the GPZ is very noisy the next time out. 

When this occurs an extra-long balancing over the ferrite core cures it.

Have a good day,
Chet

Chet,

I'd sure like to see what you found at some of those Find Points up there!  ?

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dumb Answer.  I must have gold under the floor because my machines go nuts.

Actually, I power many machines on when I take a used unit in trade and need to see if it powers up ok.  I also go through the menu real quick just to make sure all is good.  Never had a detector have long term issues from it, but I don't recommend folks doing it all the time either.  I know the GP and GPX series, I put them in the "Cancel Mode" so they quiet down.  VLF's I do it all the time and no issues other than my ears for a short time.

I think you'll be fine on occasion to do a quick power up to check "Battery Level" before a trip.

• Like 1

IF it does cause damage I will be the first to know. :laugh: I ran my GPX very close to a major train line in my area. Trains energize the tracks a while before and after they use them. You only get small intervals of nice quiet time between them. So I found a setting (207) that chatters so quickly that I can actually hear some targets above the chatter. That is the only way I can use it at this site. If that doesn't ruin my GPX (or my ears) nothing will. The results of yesterday's 8 hour hunt were 8 silvers and one gold earring and a lot of clad and wheat cents. I probably still have EMI radiating from my body :smile:

• Like 2

So, when I practice playing with the buttons and settings on my detectors, I just disconnect the coils, then there's nothing to overload. Moreover, for the detectors with a higher learning curve (lots of sub-menus, etc.), this is an excellent way to scroll through functions and learn the ropes (the settings, etc. with no access to any coil functions or metal detecting capability of course).

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

So, when I practice playing with the buttons and settings on my detectors, I just disconnect the coils, then there's nothing to overload. Moreover, for the detectors with a higher learning curve (lots of sub-menus, etc.), this is an excellent way to scroll through functions and learn the ropes (the settings, etc. with no access to any coil functions or metal detecting capability of course).

All the best,

Lanny

On some of the old detectors I thought you could cause damage if the unit was turned on without a coil connected. Maybe just an urban legend???