Dumb Question

It just depends on the device.

If you unplug a DC motor while operating, the motor stops nothing happens. Unplug a stepper motor while operating, the driver fries. Do they have fancy drivers that won't burnout when disconnected during use? Yes, but they may cost over 10 times as much.

Both these motors used in this example are inductors (similar to a detector coil) being currently implemented in 2018 designs controlled by modern solid state devices.
Some may chose to save money vs having the ability to yank wires out from operating machinery.

There are probably a lot of older detectors that should stay plugged into the coils just to be safe. Most newer detectors are probably safe to remove, but read the manual to be sure. They coil is part of some sort of circuit, even though it's interchangeable.

Unplugging the speakers from a stereo tube amplifier or guitar amplifier can be catastrophic, it doesn't mean it's a bad design. The speaker is "removable" by necessity, to physically locate the speaker away from the amplifier, (sound familiar?) this lead to this modern way of thinking that we should be able to do something that wasn't originally intended. This probably started with the quick disconnects as typically wires attached to speakers with screws give the impression that they are semi permanent. The speaker or coil IS part of a system, it's not a peripheral device even though it can be detached by the user.

I was analogizing VLF detectors to RF transmitters, where I learned as a kid to never key the transmitter unless the antenna or a dummy load was connected, or you would probably blow out the final stage of the transmitter.  I just googled the issue and it still seems to be accepted as prudent practice today even with modern designs (with RF transmitters).

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=79031.0

It would depend on the design, but unless I knew for certain that it was safe to run a detector without a load, I just would not do it.

I think my Deep Tech Vista Gold says not to turn on the detector without a coil attached, as it can damage the unit. But honestly, I may do that anyways :laugh:

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

I would like Geotech to chime in on this one, I'm sure he would give a clear answer, people often forget to tighten their coil connector which causes falsing, it would be disappointing if the detector was designed in a way where a poor coil connection or no connection at all damaged the control box.  I would possibly be more concerned with a detector from the 70's than a modern one.

I hope they don't start putting motors in detectors ? unless they put a pull start like a lawn mower, that'd be cool!  It would give that raw power feeling I get when I swing my T2, only even more powerful...

A motor is an inductor.

A coil is an inductor.

The analogy is that unplugging an inductor in a modern device while running may result in damage to certain driving circuitry, unless additional protections are applied.

Someone looking to maybe restore or play with an old, or unknown detector may want to keep the coil plugged in, that's all. 

If you need Geotech to give you a clearer answer, then maybe deep down you're not so sure? ?

The GPX manual says not to remove or change coils with the control box on, or you could damage the circuit. I have heard of guys doing this and blowing something on the circuit board.

• Like 1