Bad 2 Directional Falses After Upgrade With 6" Coil In Iron

amergin

Hello

I am still frustrated with my 6" coil after upgrade, and how it falses giving strong two directional signals on Iron

I don't want to roll back as i Enjoy the benefits with 11" coil

I wrote to Minelab Tech support asking if they where aware of situation and if they were working on a fix

I included a list of some of the comments on this subject in the past from Forums

I know it might just be a consequence of improving one thing another goes bad, but its worth try

please post your experiences here, if you've experienced bad 2 directional falses after upgrade with 6" coil in Iron

as I want to pass it on to them

My current settings

I am running Field 2, 5 tones , recovery speed 6/7, no iron bias and all metal on sens 20

I drop sensitivity to 15 and go over again

When referring Iron, I am talking about primally Nails at colonial cellar holes

for me and others the 6" with update is horrendous on two-way iron falsing, in my experiences. The falsing is so convincing of a good target from may directions that it is impossible to ignore.

pre up grade
I found the 6" great when I got it on Iron filled colonial cellar sites , I had already hunted out with 11"

it did as it promised find smaller good items amongst iron that I did not detect with multiple visits with 11" in many different modes and settings

now after the up grade, it falses badly on iron a

I seriously thinking of reversing the up-grade before using 6" on a site I hunted out with 11"

and then loading up grade when starting at a new site with 11"

Hi Amergin,

I hope a lot of other users that detect in colonial sites will post something soon. I tested the oldest nails I have (late 1800s to early 1900s square nails from Colorado mining sites) with the 6" coil and did not notice any falsing or iron wrap around in either zero discrimination Field 2 or preset discrimination Field 2 with the settings you posted. On modern nails the story is completely different. In zero discrimination Field 2 I got some very minor falsing or what I think is more likely iron wrap around or alloy detection on every third or fourth sweep, single beeps, in the 18 to 21 or zinc penny range. With factory preset discrimination Field 2 I got fairly constant two directional beeps again in the 18 to 21 range. All of this testing was done at 2" depth in my 4 bar, 85 ground balance dirt test container. I know a lot of people wouldn't bother with the zinc penny range. For me though, I think I have found some of my most interesting and unusual finds in that range! Hope this helps.

Jeff

• Like 2

I also haven’t had enough time using the 6” coil to say one way or another if iron falsing is any worse than with the 11” coil. I do know I’ve been making enough  finds in sites that the 11” coil didn’t detect to be plenty satisfied with it. I have not used the 6” coil with the original software so I can’t make that comparison. I think it’s quite possible that a mode plus settings combination will be found that mitigates any 2-way iron falsing tendencies that may be present. Maybe even one of the single frequencies?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, amergin said:

My current settings

I am running Field 2, 5 tones , recovery speed 6/7, no iron bias and all metal on sens 20

I drop sensitivity to 15 and go over again

When referring Iron, I am talking about primally Nails at colonial cellar holes

With your current settings your Equinox will for ever give falsing on iron as first of all you don't have any BIAS against iron set your "Iron Bias" to 3 or 4 and back off a bit on your "Recovery Speed" to 3 or 4 and work your coil sweeps slightly slower you should then be able to have a higher "Sensitivity" setting of 18 - 20.

And unless you want to hunt for small iron relics and nails whilst using 5 tones, in "Tone Break 1" which is -9 to 2   turn down the " Tone Volume" to 1 and the "Tone Pitch" to 1.

Hope this solves your 6" coil problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Amergin,.. ..when using a 6 "coil, edit the Field2 program: Discrimination acceptance from -3 to + 40, Iron bias0-1, tone break 0, ... 2 or -5 ton .. Sensitivity from 17-23,24 .. recovery speed from 3-4 to 6-7-8 ... To control the false signals from the iron with ID 14- and ID17,18,20, edit User program: Beach2: Iron bias 9, recovery speed 8, tone break 0-2, discrimination accept from 0-2 to + 40 ... sensitivity 17-23,24 ..- This user program has detected phonosy signals from the iron, you get a nice deep signal modulation, and on a small 6 "coil they are still quite sensitive even on small things .. Rightly "nonferrous" signaly I will mat equals ID in the main- and user program..signals from the iron I will point to the minus ID .....

EL NIN077

thank you,

I will definitely try all that you advise,

in addition to my set up posted earlier

I only do test on location at cellar hole where the noise cancel, ground balance and set up is true and the ground is full of mineralized aged Iron,     I run my iron Tone at 1  ,  

Even low settings of Iron Bias masks coins with a lot of nails around them and as it is only a filter I don't use it, I want to hear all the ground has to give, I also when presented with a mixed signal from iron and flashes of repeat good numbers

I test it at 20-40khz and Gold 1 both with the VCO define the metal type more accurately on VDI and expand the good signal if the object is non Ferrous

I test recovery speed between 7-4, but am aware any less makes Masking and fallsing a must.

Please note I go through all these tests and phases each time I am at a Cellar hole, with 6" coil before and after upgrade, the 6" to me now is over sensitive to iron after upgrade and has become obsolete without a patch from Mine lab

can you explain your reasoning behind using Beech 2

"edit User program: Beach2: Iron bias 9, recovery speed 8, tone break 0-2, discrimination accept from 0-2 to + 40 ... sensitivity 17-23,24 "