Bad 2 Directional Falses After Upgrade With 6" Coil In Iron

amergin

Randy

thank you, I will definitely try all that you advise,

see my answer above to EL NIN077 that notes all the other precautions and tests and object unmasking techniques i run on site.

I dont agree with your advice on Iron bias or recovery speed, Both i have field tested and get better results the way i run it

see this explanation of Iron Bias , which is exactly as i Experience it, and recovered coins at 0 when i previously went over at 3 and missed

http://thesilverfiend.com/minelab-equinox-iron-bias-explained/

And lowering recovery speed makes the masking worse, even if I gain more depth.

using "shifting Technique at sensitivity 15 is tried and tested method to go back over already searched area on same day, as it cuts out the exaggerated sounding of iron and lets non Ferrous peak through which I  then investigate using Gold 1 VDI

i am open to all advice as I far from Know everything, but as you can read I have been quite thorough with my field testing, object inquiry and un masking techniques  to date which enabled me to be  successful with 6" up to upgrade, now it has become obsolete to me, that is why I have brought to the attention to the engineers at Mine lab In AU.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1: The Beach 2 program uses the lowest frequencies and has the lowest performance of the least fake signals on the corroded iron, - also the best depth modulation ..- plus the overload feature on large object-optics. 2.-Iron Bias set to Max-9-the most suppressed-silenced signals of "color signals" on corroded iron, and thin colored coatings on cans ,. 3. High Recovery Speed 7.8 - is the least sensitive and less sensible about very tiny, thin stuff, and also on the thin coats of colored metal on the iron, the smaller the range - better sound depth modulation. All Multi Equinox programs give you ID IDs for non-ferrous things, for iron they have different IDs ... instead of beach2, you can try ini program Beach1, at zero GB.. .,,,  5. Discrimination -If you set the setting, set it from -3 to +39.40 and you will not feel the iron  in good signals.

• Like 1

Try to compare these 2 programs -on a small 6 "coil ,,it will be like Day and Night:wink:

I like all of Randy’s suggestions.  That beach 2.... id likely not use.  Reduced power AND a salt setting.  One of the design engineers said a Sov would be like using 6IB.  So I kind of use that as my guide since it really hates iron.....any more IMO is over kill for most hunting.   

• Like 1

I used my 6" coil yesterday at the only cellar hole I've found near where I live.  I've been through this place with a few other detectors:  F70, mojave, compadre and my nox with the 11" coil.  My nox has the updated software version.  

So yesterday using the 6" coil I got quite a bit of falsing with VDI's in the zinc penny range (19-21).  This also happens to be indian head penny range and the only coin I found at this site was a 1906 indian head, but I found it with my tesoro mojave.  

I would get some solid zinc signals in one direction, but always iron grunts in the other and sometimes iron grunts with the zinc signals.  I dug these in hope of an indian head with a nail next to it, but it was always a nail and there are tons of nails at this site.  I was running park 1, sense anywhere from 16-23, iron bias anywhere from 0-9, recovery speed anywhere from 5-8 and 50 tones.  

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 5:35 AM, Randy Dee said:

With your current settings your Equinox will for ever give falsing on iron as first of all you don't have any BIAS against iron set your "Iron Bias" to 3 or 4 and back off a bit on your "Recovery Speed" to 3 or 4 and work your coil sweeps slightly slower you should then be able to have a higher "Sensitivity" setting of 18 - 20.

And unless you want to hunt for small iron relics and nails whilst using 5 tones, in "Tone Break 1" which is -9 to 2   turn down the " Tone Volume" to 1 and the "Tone Pitch" to 1.

Hope this solves your 6" coil problem.

Randy,

The reason why many relic hunters here in the US shy away from using any iron bias is that it has been shown to exacerbate iron masking of non-ferrous targets in thick iron situations.  I think the downside is that you will then get a lot more falsing and just have to take your medicine then and dig all repeatable falses.  Or you can take the iron bias route and take the chance of missing a masked target.  In these tough bed-o-nails situation it's a pick your poison proposition. 

Amergin-

So the message I have for amergin is, no one said treasure hunting is easy.  The hobby is really all about managing tradeoffs whether it is machine performance quirks, soil conditions, or trash.  Sounds like your best solution (aka tradeoff) is to just roll back the update when using the 6" if you found the perceived pre-update performance to be acceptable and hope 6" performance improves at the next update.  HTH

• Like 2

I use the old program for beach hunting...... maybe a placebo affect just because i had so much time on the machine in that program before the new one came out.   Chase is so right ...... conditions very so much from place to place theres now real perfect settings for everyone..... WE become a factor as well.  

I dont know if you have used both the Explorers and Sov....... but IB 6on a Sov is like setting the smartscreen disc at almost half way...... somewhere around 22 i think.   It really shuts down the over reaction to iron/hot rocks.  The Xcal/Sov using iron masking HATED iron...... so they nulled a lot and had a very slow recovery.   Sometimes near targets came thru but a lot of times the machine became blinded by very small pieces of iron or mineral concentration.   Less IB like Chase says.......allows more of the non-ferr to bleed thru.

• Like 2

I have this same problem with the 11" coil at the heavy iron sites, but have noticed a few things that has helped me...

Pan Head/Roofing style nails with a wide circular head are the worst at any depth. They will give consistent high tones on a 90* swing with a mildly tight TID due to the roundness of the head. Deep square/cut nails tend to only high tone one way and are usually pretty jumpy on the TID.

There is most definitely a harmony that has to occur here between Sensitivity, Recovery Speed, and Iron Bias. Without this harmony happening, you are going to get some heavy falsing. Another big thing that has been evident is how wet the soil is. In my dirt, the falsing is amplified when the dirt is soggy. Don't be afraid to lower that sensitivity down to 17-18 when it's wet as you will still get excellent depth when the ground is wet as we all know. 

I do a lot of woods detecting at old home sites or active farms that date back to the mid 1800s. This is my basic "power-on" settings for these type sites and adjust as conditions dictate:

Park 2 - Multi - 5 Tone - Sensitivity 18 - Recovery Speed 5 - Iron Bias 2 - Auto Ground Balance (Pumping)

I run wide open Disc, but have some weird break points/audio ranges setup for Gold.

Also, I do not use the pinpoint button generally. I isolate the target then approach it both ways to locate it. This will tell you A LOT too.

Matt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt in IL said:

Also, I do not use the pinpoint button generally. I isolate the target then approach it both ways to locate it. This will tell you A LOT too.

I use pinpoint, but it’s less about pinpointing and more to get a bead on the depth and profile/footprint of the target.  I use the wiggle off method to actually PP the target (if the target ID confidence is high and I don’t feel I have to interrogate it using PP mode).

• Like 3