Equinox Single Frequency Users?

Cabin Fever

Just curious how many of you guys are hunting in a single Frequency vs Multi with your Equinox. I’ve had so much success with Multi that I can’t get myself to try anything else. My thinking is maybe using a single Frequency such as 20kHz in a situation such as extreme carpet of nails that it might perform even better?

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences on this subject.  Not just nails but any unique situation where a single Frequency might be better.

Bryan

• Like 1

I occasionally use single frequencies. As Steve mentioned, switching to a single frequency can really help with severe EMI. A few weeks ago I was searching a 1940s yard, and the EMI on one side of the house was horrible. No matter what I did I couldn’t get my machine to quiet down. Finally, I switched to 10 kHz and as if by magic the chatter stopped and I started pulling coins right and left.

This morning I hunted a local park that’s been searched so many times that it’s amazing that anything is still there to find. On a lark, at the end of my hunt, I switched from multi frequency to 15 kHz and went back over a patch of ground I searched earlier. I was surprised that I was hitting some good targets with 15kHz that I either missed or dismissed with multi frequency. 

I’ll still use multi frequency as my primary, but I’m definitely also going to play with single frequencies more often. 

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I use it occasionally.  Usually reserve for cleanup on heavy modern trash sites.  Some times I’ll alternate between multi and 5khz on modern trash sites.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, SnohomishDigger said:

I occasionally use single frequencies. As Steve mentioned, switching to a single frequency can really help with severe EMI. A few weeks ago I was searching a 1940s yard, and the EMI on one side of the house was horrible. No matter what I did I couldn’t get my machine to quiet down. Finally, I switched to 10 kHz and as if by magic the chatter stopped and I started pulling coins right and left.

This morning I hunted a local park that’s been searched so many times that it’s amazing that anything is still there to find. On a lark, at the end of my hunt, I switched from multi frequency to 15 kHz and went back over a patch of ground I searched earlier. I was surprised that I was hitting some good targets with 15kHz that I either missed or dismissed with multi frequency. 

I’ll still use multi frequency as my primary, but I’m definitely also going to play with single frequencies more often. 

Hmm, very interesting. I have such a park that I will try that out at. I'll let ya know if any more good targets show up. 

• Like 1

I did once when I was under some high power tension lines in 5k and the emi noise went away.  Otherwise I am in multi!

I found single frequency at 20 khz eeked out additional depth or cleaned up iffy mid-conductive relic signals for me in gold mode at a highly mineralized, high iron site in Virginia.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned it's a last ditch EMI mitigator at noisy sites or can sometimes help pick high conductive keepers through modern trash (use 5 khz) or as a ferrous falsing telltale on bottlecaps (10 khz).

Note that if you go to single frequency while in ANY of the Park or Field modes you remove the Multi IQ frequency weighting and processing that gives each of those modes their unique target optimization "personality" with the only thing left that differentiates them being their tone/disc pattern and user parameter settings (e.g., recovery speed).  Note that you also may lose some of the on-the-fly Multi IQ signal processing ground balance compensation that mitigates less than ideal ground balance settings (though ground balance setting mode works just as it does in Multi).  Finally, iron bias is non-existent in single frequency mode.

• Like 3

I use single frequency about 50% of the time. I am in Canada and it is really the only effective way of getting modern Canadian coins. It still hits nice deep silver so it is effective for me in a park setting.

• Like 4

I would think 40kHz would be good in carpet of nails.  Come to think of it I should've tried it last weekend, I hunted in multi and it was struggling in heavy iron.  

13 hours ago, W.Degenstien said:

I use single frequency about 50% of the time. I am in Canada and it is really the only effective way of getting modern Canadian coins. It still hits nice deep silver so it is effective for me in a park setting.

what frequency do you find works best for you on our modern coins? 

• Like 1