Crystals Before Color Tv!

If you can learn 1 thing? I'd call it Good! Love em or Hate 'em ?Enjoy! Ig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for posting that, very interesting. I did learn something, I just wish I could remember it.

Norm

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Excellent video Idahogold!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed viewing the informative basics of crystal formation, and particularly the section describing cleavage. The examples used were superb. Below is a photo of a muscovite mica “book” found several years ago from a roadside deposit just north of Ottawa, Ontario. The "book" layers can be peeled back to the point where each layer is much thinner than everyday writing paper, and almost completely transparent. 

Alum (aluminum sulfate) has a wide variety of uses. This is especially true in municipal water and wastewater treatment. Similar to ferrous sulfate, alum solutions under suitable conditions may crystallize to plug feed lines in treatment facilities. I was involved with laboratory evaluation, and the practical application of these chemicals to precipitate colloidal material (water treatment), and to reduce suspended solids and phosphates from wastewater discharges. Under winter conditions, feed lines were necessarily heated to prevent such crystal formation.

Incidentally, here in Ontario, Canlab, Walmart, and the Superstore carry aluminum sulfate. There are doubtless others. Municipalities are supplied on a much larger scale by commercial sources. Thanks again Idaho....................Jim.

1953272583_6.7LBCOMMONMICASFYG17.JPG.3f929f4d83fc50c9555aa56019143ee4.JPG

• Like 5

If you want to spend a few bucks you can buy crystal making kits online, most are alum based but there are other interesting ones.  I've done it with both the kit, which I purchased at a musiem in the gift shop, and used alum powder commonly found here where they sell spices and goods for pickling and preserving.  Sugar and Salt are good one's to.  Its also fun to try supersaturated solutions of these as well.

The stuff your looking at phrunt does not appear to be Potassium aluminum sulfate.   Try looking for it at a store that has pickling and preserving supplies.

• Like 1

Have fun ?  Be interested to see how it turns out.  Dont be disappointed if it does not look like the picture on the box ?  When I first tried Alum crystals I usually got strings of rock crystals.  The trick is seeding the solution right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Never go by the package myself ?  Takes some practice to get that kind of result.  But Good On Ya ?  If your feeling sparky try re-dissolving them and try, try try again.  Got a good result there and if you try again save one crystal for the seed.

• Like 2