What Records Do You Keep And How?

I’m a newbie to the forums.  In fact, since I don’t even own a detector (yet), I guess I’m a “no”bie. A bunch of questions are bubbling around in my head as I try to get better informed about detecting.  Here’s one that is currently on my mind.  I plan to keep some records of my detecting experiences.  Initially, a lot of my focus will be recording detector settings and results so that I may better learn how to use my (future) detector (maybe a NOX 800).  The advice I’m hoping some will share, is what records do you keep and in what format.  I’ve spotted some software created for use by detectorists.  Some allows recording of GPS coordinates (perhaps more useful for gold hunters than coin shooters); detector settings; “finds” records (including uploading photos); free form notes; etc.  So what do YOU record please and how?  Software?  A notebook or diary?  As a learning tool or just to capture fun memories?  Do you search or review your past records?   OK, I’ll take a breath.  Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!  PS - I searched the forums before posting this and found a couple of related threads but nothing very specific.  If this topic has been addressed in detail before, please point me in the right direction rather than create redundant threads.  Thanks, Bozko. (Thank you Steve for moving this post to the appropriate forum.  I realized after I posted it that it wasn’t in right spot but then wasn’t sure how or where to move it.  Newbie error.)

Welcome, Bozko!

I wouldn't say my record keeping is for everyone, and it does evolve with time.  I keep a simple Excel spreadsheet, with date, location (detailing exactly where within the property I hunted), number of hours spent searching, air temperature, detector(s) and search coil(s) used, a breakout of coins found (columns for clad dimes and quarters, Jefferson nickels, copper pennies, zinc pennies, 'old' coins) plus a record of pulltabs (number by type) and a column for brief notes.

I bought a digital voice recorder (I'm old fashioned) with the intent of giving details in the field, but have never gotten around to that.  My plan was to audio record details of good finds, such as depth, TID (including trash contamination ID's when applicable), and detector settings.  Maybe I'll get around to that in 2019.

• Like 1

Much like GB, I use an Excel spreadsheet to record date, location, amount and types of coins as well as notable finds. I also take pics of everything and store them in folders by year, date and location. I also store that Excel file within the applicable annual photo folder and it's easy enought to cross reference when I need to locate a pic of that 1850 coin I dug.....good luck!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome, Bozko!

I wouldn't say my record keeping is for everyone, and it does evolve with time.  I keep a simple Excel spreadsheet, with date, location (detailing exactly where within the property I hunted), number of hours spent searching, air temperature, detector(s) and search coil(s) used, a breakout of coins found (columns for clad dimes and quarters, Jefferson nickels, copper pennies, zinc pennies, 'old' coins) plus a record of pulltabs (number by type) and a column for brief notes.

I bought a digital voice recorder (I'm old fashioned) with the intent of giving details in the field, but have never gotten around to that.  My plan was to audio record details of good finds, such as depth, TID (including trash contamination ID's when applicable), and detector settings.  Maybe I'll get around to that in 2019.

Thank you GB_Amateur!  Your spreadsheet sounds great and gives me a good idea of what I neeed to consider tracking.  In my pre-retirement life, I was a bit of a spreadsheet aficionado so if I can knock some rust off the little gray cells, I’m sure I can put together something serviceable.  I like the idea of a spreadsheet or database to facilitate filtering, sorting, searching, and retrieving information.  I also like your idea of a voice recorder.  I’ve considered using Siri in my iPhone to record in the “Notes”  function but want to see if there are other options for getting voice notes directly in to a searchable database or other format.  Here are a couple of canned programs that I found but haven’t yet fully explored. The second one offers some level of voice data entry.

http://www.ginkgoware.com/products.htm

https://ismartdetect.com/

There are probably other apps available that I haven’t found yet.  These seem to have some potential to at least supplement a spreadsheet or database but perhaps not replace then altogether.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LoyalistDigger said:

Much like GB, I use an Excel spreadsheet to record date, location, amount and types of coins as well as notable finds. I also take pics of everything and store them in folders by year, date and location. I also store that Excel file within the applicable annual photo folder and it's easy enought to cross reference when I need to locate a pic of that 1850 coin I dug.....good luck!!!!

Thank you LoyalistDigger!  Yours sounds like a great system to be able to tie photos and data together.  Since I have not yet even purchased a detector let alone begun to search, I am struggling to wrap my head around what information I want to track.  Your ideas and GB’s are really helpful.  I’m sure whatever method/system I choose will change and grow but I want to try to get out ahead of it as much as possible so I’m not some day faced with a big backlog of tedious data entry.  I joined a fantastic local detectorist club last night so I’m well on my way to getting started and plan to buy a detector in the next week or two.  Thanks for your input and inspiration!

• Like 1

An app I use is Evernote...it lets me put as many spreadsheets, pictures, etc into it from PC, tablet, phone, anything...then have access to it on any of the others, even offline without signal, as long as I have synched it prior to losing service.  There are payment choices for it, but the standard free version handles anything you would need.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rod-pa said:

An app I use is Evernote...it lets me put as many spreadsheets, pictures, etc into it from PC, tablet, phone, anything...then have access to it on any of the others, even offline without signal, as long as I have synched it prior to losing service.  There are payment choices for it, but the standard free version handles anything you would need.

Thank you rod-pa!  I just finished checking out the Evernote website and it looks very cool.  Looks like it could be a good way to tie together all the various ways I might want to capture and review information.  Great tip!!!

I don’t keep a finds log per se. However, I do keep a journal when on trips with short daily notes of interest, including finds. This is something I highly recommend to everyone, along with lots of photos. I honestly don’t care about finds much once they are found. The stories and photos are worth far more to me than the finds ever will be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tnsharpshooter

Welcome  Bozko.

Some good info here and helpful folks too.

Keeping detailed records can be very time consuming.  Could cut into your actual detecting time.

Whatever you decide good luck.

David

On 12/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I don’t keep a finds log per se. However, I do keep a journal when on trips with short daily notes of interest, including finds. This is something I highly recommend to everyone, along with lots of photos. I honestly don’t care about finds much once they are found. The stories and photos are worth far more to me than the finds ever will be.

Thanks Steve!

Jim (Bozko)