This seems mighty weird, a guy on our local auction site is selling hundreds of roman coins from between 100 and 400 AD for $1 each, about 70 US cents I guess.

Claims they were found with metal detectors.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/coins/ancient/listing-1853382900.htm?rsqid=9420490cdc564a5cb2786431be84466f

888155205.jpg

Are these things likely to be fakes or are low grade roman coins really worth that little?

• Like 2

Hi Simon… I’m not qualified to state any opinion on Roman coins, because they don’t interest me at all. Viewing those coins in your photo, they don’t look very appealing. But then, how do we assign a value to historical interest? For example, I have a good collection of modern dug silver coins that are worn and not likely worth more than their silver bullion value. But I wouldn’t part with those coins, and certainly not for the sake of a dollar or two.

I suppose that it also partly depends on one’s character. I place a high value on the finds that I made as a result of my resourcefulness, hard work, and personal expense. Coins and jewelry aside, it’s inconceivable to me to even consider parting with any of my prospecting recoveries. I want to see those rocks tastefully displayed in my den, and nothing else will do.

Mind you, that’s not to pass judgement on those who do sell their finds, it’s strictly an individual decision. I’m afraid that this is not a terribly coherent reply Simon, but I do think that you will understand my point of view…………………Jim. 

1962017174_1.9LBDENDRITICAGCALCITESF17YGBLACK.JPG.fc7104b91244eef2499e9e7c2cae5b48.JPG

2061789202_PROSPECTINGAGCOINSSFYG16.JPG.da77fccc75bdb813b7f3b147da7a69b1.JPG

• Like 4

I understand completely Jim, I wouldn't part with any of my finds either! Selling isn't an option, I'd be more likely to give as a gift to someone who really loved one of my finds than sell one if I knew they wanted it for the right reasons.  My finds certainly mean more to me than their monetary value which is pretty low in the scheme of things.  Most of my nuggets would be lucky to be worth the money I spent on a drink they day I found them 🙂

I was just surprised to see someone in NZ had hundreds of Roman coins found with a metal detector they were willing to sell for 1 NZD each.  If they were my finds I'd have a lot of trouble parting with them, especially for $1 each! I wouldn't see that as worthwhile that's for sure.

• Like 3

Looks like a coin dealer based on the many other coins that are for sale by the same person. These coins look to be too much work to clean vs the money that would be generated by them if cleaned.

• Like 1

Hi,

Maybe the Romans went to NZ as well and, up to now, nobody knew about it.....? 😉

But seriously...in Europe there are a lot of roman coins found (on some French fora I even saw them called  "Roros" sometimes (- as in "today I found this ["interesting object"] and some roros"). A lot are "far gone" and/or not (very) rare and therefore have no great monetary value.  I'm still looking to find the first one myself though, here in Belgium. 😊

Greetings,

Bob'ke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My only Roman coin find was later ID’d by a museum as 2nd century AD from Mesopotamia.  Head of a man on one side, head of a woman on the other.  Silver, but essentially worthless.

The only interesting thing about it was that I found it on the edge of a scrapyard outside Riyadh Saudi Arabia - on the surface.

• Like 2

Simon, those coins are called "grots" (Grotty) and the price being asked is correct for coins devoid of numismatic value. More desirable specimens are likely to cost $5.00 and up. HH Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Roman coin the is very badly worn...I bought it to have something that I will never find for myself- about 5 bucks...

fred

• Like 1

From the looks of these "toasted" coins and the given date range of 100 - 400 AD they are probably from Britain. This is the date range from Claudius' major invasion in 43 AD to the Romans leaving around 383 AD. Fields with heavy fertilizer tended to turn the coins green and impart significant damage. The darker and black coins tend to be in better condition. The "grotty greenies" with no detail are virtually worthless  while some of the darker coins with detail are worthy of a little investigation. The dark coin in the front right center shows two soldiers holding an military standard. This is a classic reverse of many Roman coins especially around 330-348 AD. 

There is not much of a thrill in buying a "grotty greenie" but there is an emotional rush in finding one and knowing you are the first person in almost 2,000 years to be holding it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2018 at 1:32 AM, Jimmy M said:

Simon, those coins are called "grots" (Grotty) and the price being asked is correct for coins devoid of numismatic value. More desirable specimens are likely to cost $5.00 and up. HH Jim

That about sums up what those coins are and what they are worth,i have bags of them that i have found over the years and i mean bag loads,they are worth almost zero money wise,chemicals that man has put on the ground over the decades has also not helped the condition,but they have basically just been attacked by various acids etc in the ground,animal urine and many other things just kill them and as been mentioned thy are just 'grotty' coins and usually end up in the junk area of your finds bag,folks still cannot grasp that something that is nearly 2000 years old is worth basically peanuts and the reason why is they are very common and the condition is abysmal and hence the cheap price.

Silver roman dinari and the most desirable and scarcest of all roman coins are roman gold solidus,the solidus is the holy grail in my mind of our finds.,as of course no banks or other forms of security institutions had been around at that time and when the romans withdrew  around 400AD they basically just left and of course many many hoards and also many other smaller single soldier wage finds are also found and almost all found with metal detectors.

So they do look authentic but nothing mind blowing value wise,unless its a mint condition and very scares silver or the holy grail again gold solidus,i have been detecting with a club on a roman trading villa site for 10+ years and the finds still keep coming in vast amounts,almost all are 'grotty' finds as well,but of course over the years some desirable gold ones have also been found on this site.

• Like 6