Can Your Detector Do This?

Detector put into iron silent mode - swept over nails - Nails ignored - ring added - still in iron silent mode - ring detected with proper tone - ring removed -nails ignored again. Also works with ring buried couple of inches under the board with the nails. 

I know it’s just a drawing, but I’ve seen it done for real. How about you? 

P.S. ignore the numbers and the reference to the md-detector website, that’s just where the original graphic - without the added central nails and the ring came from. the finished graphic is the original nail board diagram plus the nails in the center and ring which were added in the actual testing.

F502DB04-16BD-4635-9298-32E6B2BAB06F.jpeg

• Like 2

F5 might do it at shallow depths with the stock elliptical concentric coil with a 50/ +6 Gain/Threshold setting.  wouldn't necesarryly ignore the nails but would most likely flash a non-ferrous ring TID number in the mix.

I dunno.

HH
Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 9:41 PM, Rick Kempf said:

Detector put into iron silent mode - swept over nails - Nails ignored - ring added - still in iron silent mode - ring detected with proper tone - ring removed -nails ignored again. Also works with ring buried couple of inches under the board with the nails. 

I know it’s just a drawing, but I’ve seen it done for real. How about you? 

P.S. ignore the numbers and the reference to the md-detector website, that’s just where the original graphic - without the added central nails and the ring came from. the finished graphic is the original nail board diagram plus the nails in the center and ring which were added in the actual testing.

F502DB04-16BD-4635-9298-32E6B2BAB06F.jpeg

Rick,

For a minute there I was thinking Monte had changed up the Nail Board Test and I was going to have to sell all of my detectors and replace them. ?

Rich - 

• Like 1

What are we looking at here?

If you scale the image down to actual size, the nails around the ring are quite small, with the 3" nails set off to the side. Placement looks deliberate.

I'm going to go ahead and assume there is a machine that hits this ring, but is it anything more then a parlor trick?

I'd be down for trying it, are these modern nails or cut nails?

Of my more than 50 years of detecting I’ve yet to come across anything that resembles that . To all the detectors that can’t pass the test don’t worry about it because more than likely you won’t either.

I’m not saying it’s not a great detector if it can do it . Here you got all this trash above ground so you can see it . You put the same setup you got in the ground for a year and not knowing what you got it may be a different story.

Then bring that great detector back and the rusty nails have rusted more but now you have a halo effect from all those rusty nails. I don’t believe you going to see anything but rusty nails.

I hope someone can prove me wrong. I’ll meet you back here in another year and then you can run a in ground test. If it still can pass the test I’ll want to buy that detector off of you are another like it .

Chuck 

No “aged nail” tests have been done as far as I know.

The same set up has been done with the card on the ground with the nails - and the ring under the card in the sand to a depth of a few inches at least.

Further fun will have to await the introduction of a production machine sometime next year (hopefully). then everybody can decide if this a revolution or a parlor trick.

Me - I”m saving my money for the “Beach Beast”. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1