Elko Area Gold Quality?

1515Art

I got permission to hunt some private property on the Nevada Utah border from a guy that owns 60 acres down in the bottom of a ravine, I think the area may also have flowing water. The area has gold mining history with a hard rock mine nearby although I know very little about the area except some deposits were discovered as late as the 1980’s and the gold reports I’ve found are very incomplete of numbers as the activity seems to have been limited. it’s a long drive, but I think I have 4x4 access into his property and may just have to drive up and put boots on the ground and look around. From google earth the area is very volcanic as is most of the desert and other minerals have been mined as well from what I’ve read, zink, copper, silver other than gold. I’ve been researching the diggins , land matters and my n Nevada mines guide, Anyone have a any idea about the detectable nature of gold from that part of N Nevada? 

2 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

Do you have maps of the area? Aeromagnetics?

I dont know the area well enough to give a good answer, but I would be checking the geo maps before i drove over there.... unless you are just in to taking a nice drive.....which is OK too...

Yep, it’s a lllooonnnggg drive, I’m gonna do some reading before going and check some of them Aeromagnetics??? when I know what that is, sound like something good to know I’ll google this right away? there is a gold mine next/near and I guess some huge red tailings piles too on his land. He’s more the rancher type and not into mining so the gold info is limited. He also has some property up in Alaska he says although it’s a 27 mile plane ride to get into, on that spot there is a 300’ quartz vein that runs down a 1000’ cliff he seems to think has gold although access might be a challenge?????

Check mylandmatters and see if there are claims in the immediate area?  That should give you a good idea of what your chances may be.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oneguy said:

Check mylandmatters and see if there are claims in the immediate area?  That should give you a good idea of what your chances may be.....

My friend mentioned a half dozen mines in the area and some surface disturbances that look like placer mining, but they are or must be older small workings that are not well reported because ? Land matters shows only the one claim adjacent to his property and I can clearly see what look like large red tailing piles and some surface disturbance he described so I’d assume that is what I see on google earth. I’m reasonably certain gold was found in the area and if there is running water the creek would be worth exploring with a pan and small sluice when I’ve some time to kill. He says the sky out there is one of the few truly dark sky areas left in the lower 48, be nice exploring the area just enjoying the seclusion if nothing else.

Here is some information about northeast Nevada and the Carlin Trend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlin_Unconformity

I was there one time and heard about a guy who does really well.  He is hired by the big mines to check out specific areas they are not going to excavate.  Most of their mines take the dirt and put it on a pad and leach it for years.  It is the source of most of the gold coming from Nevada.

You may want to contact this company and see if they can help you with a little info.  I know if you wanted a full report they are capable of giving you that but it's not your land.

http://www.carlin-trend.com/?utm_campaign=Branded&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=carlin trend&utm_content=2114825xCjwKCAiAlvnfBRA1EiwAVOEgfGuTFPHSOevLyvsD6etD3NmN9BdDlIoPa3SmHVQgiKMwTcMtb3UIdxoCj20QAvD_BwE 

Mitchel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Here is some information about northeast Nevada and the Carlin Trend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlin_Unconformity

I was there one time and heard about a guy who does really well.  He is hired by the big mines to check out specific areas they are not going to excavate.  Most of their mines take the dirt and put it on a pad and leach it for years.  It is the source of most of the gold coming from Nevada.

You may want to contact this company and see if they can help you with a little info.  I know if you wanted a full report they are capable of giving you that but it's not your land.

http://www.carlin-trend.com/?utm_campaign=Branded&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=carlin trend&utm_content=2114825xCjwKCAiAlvnfBRA1EiwAVOEgfGuTFPHSOevLyvsD6etD3NmN9BdDlIoPa3SmHVQgiKMwTcMtb3UIdxoCj20QAvD_BwE 

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel I’ll be looking at those links

2 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

I believe it’s private property east of Montello near the state border, he said he has 75 acres and is planning on grading a little flat camping area with a fire ring of some sort. 

1 hour ago, Hard Prospector said:

All of the well known areas past 30 years have been hammered in NV (among other places). If I was you I'd heard enough to take a chance. Alaska is far,  Nevada/Utah........not really

Sounding like I’m going to check the area out,  be fun to spend a night out in some truly remote dark skies probably my first chance will be early next year, might be to cold then the weather will be the main factor on when I can go and look around a little. Seems like the heavy hit areas are north west of this spot I guess the deposits might not have been commercially viable, but something like this could produce a little overlooked placer deposit, or not, only one way to find out.

• Like 3

i know of a guy who last year detected a 4.5 ounce speci. (in the desert) 30 miles outside the nearest mining district. There were a couple old prospect holes in the vicinity but nothing on any map or historical record. He was Jeep'n & prospecting around and decided to stop and check out this spot where float was coming down the side of a steep hill.

• Like 3