Equinox 15" Coil Id's

Tiftaaft

I have been hunting with my 15" coil for the past 3 weeks or so, and I have seen a shift in the ID's compared to the stock 11 and the 6".  For example, my first hunt I noticed that the two 1911 Wheats I dug, both were ID'ing in the upper 20's.  (27 - 30).  In between the two wheats, I got a solid high tone that was id'ing in the mid 30's (32 - 37) which ended up being a 40's rosie.  In my subsequent hunts, I have found that the nickel range is pretty solid (12-13) and zinc pennies usually don't come in above 20... so pretty similar to the other coils... but higher conductors... copper pennies and above, all seem to be coming in more bouncy and with several points higher on the id scale.  Yesterday I dug a clad quarter at about 3 inches... solid 35.  I don't mind... I am digging anything in the nickel range and above a 17 without question anyway... but was just wondering if other 15" users have see the same results. 

By the way, my standard setup is Park 1, 50 Tone, Recovery 5 or 6, IB 0 on the new firmware.  I have disconnected the coil and re-installed it, run a factory reset on the machine, and even reloaded the update to see if any would change the results.  No change. 

Having said all that... I am really enjoying the performance of the 15 in my ground.  Definitely a good addition to my arsenal for those wide open parks and sports fields!

Tim.

• Like 3

My 15 is pretty accurate as a rule on Aussie & old English coins but I am no expert on US coins.

Only if the coins have begun to breakdown does the TID differ for me

Once the coins surface breaks and its minerals within mix with the soils minerals a reaction occurs which changes the makeup of the coin a bit....this will skew TID numbers on every detector that I have owned.

Either way the target still sounds like a keeper ie the tone still screams dig me.

happy hunting ?

• Like 1

I have not noticed any difference between any of the three coils for ID. Pennies can be a bit wild at times with all three coils.  Especially the copper memorials from the 60s to early 80s.  They will ring up in the high 20s sometimes making you think you might be on to a silver dime.. kind of kick I the gut.

Bryan

• Like 1

Most likely operator error giving me these erratic results.  ;)

Thanks for the responses everyone. 

I had a hunt yesterday that I felt like I was holding onto both reigns trying to control the 15"... constant barrage of tones all over the scale.. I don't blame the 15"... I blame myself for not matching the coil with the site.  I will continue my education of the Equinox and the 15" coil... as they say... time takes time.  :)

~Tim.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s operator error Tim.  The Equinox is very good at keeping a target in its conductive range to full depth in my ground but it does not always have the very tight ID numbers that the CTX or even E-Trac has.  I’m ok with that because as an old coin hunter I’m digging anything 18 and up anyway.. Just makes for an occasional surprise.

Bryan

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 6:22 PM, Tiftaaft said:

Yesterday I dug a clad quarter at about 3 inches... solid 35.

My concern is what happens when you go to even larger coins (halves or large format dollars).  Does it wrap around to iron zone?

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

My concern is what happens when you go to even larger coins (halves or large format dollars).  Does it wrap around to iron zone?

Try one and see what happens. My testing with the big coil puts the big silver coins in the 38-39 area and stacked silver rounds at 40.

Tiftaaft

My 15” coil arrives tomorrow so I was searching forums for tips/problems before I start using it.  When I read your recent post, I thought I’d share what I’ve learned.

The jumpy VDI might be reduced if you back off on the recovery speed (RS).  I found this when using the 11” coil, when I can, I back off the RS when swinging over a jumpy high tone and it does calm down.  Try ithis with a variety of high-tone targets and see if it helps.  

From what I’ve read, most guys swinging in test gardens find that it is necessary to use a RS of 4-5 with the 15”.  

• Like 2

Something to think about is that being centered up over the target should give your most accurate ID. With the bigger, longer coil there is more opportunity to be off center wich could produce bouncy or different target IDs.

Bryan

• Like 4