Beach Hunting Recovery Speed

Yellowstone

On 11/30/2018 at 5:56 PM, Yellowstone said:

I have had good success with the 800 using factory settings.  Lately, the beach targets have slowed down significantly due to fewer tourists and more detectorists.  Will a slower recovery speed give more depth and increase targets?  Let me add I use beach 1, all metal, sensitivity around 22.

Everyone has to figure out what works out on their beach, but I personally do not see recovery speed tied to depth,  in the 3-6 range. However no doubt the higher sensitivity you can run the better. I think Clive has pointed out how a "high" recovery speed  can stabilize the unit in salt, therefore you may be able to run a higher sens. 

Myself, I HATE a detector that chatters too much on the beach.  I find that the time period of the low tide and the ability to cover more ground[sand] FAR out weighs trying to scrub every faint signal/false signal on the beach.  In a 3-4 hr period I need to complete 1 1/2 mile section of beach at the tides lowest point, if my detector is chirping too much for me to do this, I will have left possible targets in the sand. 

Looking at my notes from last season there were 4-6 days in the 45 days I worked that no chatter/falsing would have been mandatory. 

Dave

• Like 1

According to the manual...... only gold mode has a true threshold that can affect targets.   So..... basically its additional noise to be used to hear iron blanking. .... which you can do the same thing by turning it OFF and running the iron bin lower and using AM.   Which will give you more information and act like background threshold.

Recovery and sensitive are very similar.   3 can be chatty on a hard pan running at 18....... yet switch to 4 it smooths out and can allow say a sensitivity of 20.  But to me th higher the recovery..... the short the tone response.  In the Dry sand most of the time field 2 is a better choice depth wise than beach 1.   In or near the water .... you get a concentration of layers black sand..... which you can hear if you run N. to S. (which a lot of hunters do).   Beach 2 is a better choice........ but if you grid E to W WITH the grain so to speak beach 1 works better and is deeper..... and may allow running 3 and higher sensitivity like.... 22 or 23.   Big factor here is EMI.... which can reduce depth as well.

Just saw the ring....... wow cant argue with success..... great find. 

• Like 3

Thanks DC.  It's always beneficial to get additional information from other detectorists.  Depending on how I feel, I run N to S and E to W at various times.  Never thought about alternating between Beach 1 and Beach 2 when changing direction.  Also your comments on IB and threshold have sent me back to drawing board.  To be honest, I never considered (or even looked at) the IB and threshold settings.

I'm just now beginning to realize how many different tools are available on the 800.  Back to the classroom for my next quiz.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Phrunt,

Only had the 15" since Christmas, so about 20 hours on the beach.  Like you, I was at first disappointed with sensitivity to coil knock, target ID/scratchy signals.  I lowered recovery to 4 in the wet and am now a happy camper.  In the dry, I run recovery 5 and am amazed how quiet it is and also the machine's ability to sniff out small targets.  Also have spent some time using Field 2, recovery 5 in the dry with pretty good results.  Usual settings are Beach 1, sensitivity 22-23, Beach 2, 22-23.

For me, targets ID's do vary from the stock coil, especially our despicable zincoln pennies which can register from 12 to 24.  I have dug some US clad quarters that registered -6 on ID at first pass.  After the first scoop of sand is removed, the signal is more in line with what I am used to seeing.  That could be because the target is deeper.  With that, I am pretty much digging every repeatable solid signal, even if it falls in the iron range.

I definitely need more time with this coil.  Sweep speed is slower, but covers as much ground as normal speed with the stock coil.  Beaches here are pretty sanded in so targets are few.  Got some storms coming in and hopefully they will strip off some of the overburden.

Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

This behavior (large coil likes recovery 4) seems to be a fairly common observation.  I have heard others say the same thing.  This may be partially driven because you can go deeper with this coil than stock, so lowering recovery naturally tends to clean up those deeper targets.  But that is not really the case on the shallower iffy signal targets, so I can only guess is that they are otherwise more challenging due to their orientation or other factors.  It could also simply be that 4/5 recovery just happens to be optimal for this coil vs. stock and the 6" but I don't have solid technical theory on why that is the case.

• Like 2

...I also  surprised  me ..the "15X12  Coil"    in the more demanding terrain sweeps  speed 4-5 gives optimal results .., Speed 6 - weak signal, weak ID - try to sweep faster here .. you get better signal .    The 15x12" coil has more to do with the sweep speed - from the" recovery speed" -/ground filter+recovery delay scan/ -settings... in this case, recovery delay scan- this is the time of capture  signal- too short for a 12x15 "coil..in mineralized terain..  In another situation-To verify signals ... would  lower sweep,, and the speed to 2-3 you will get ,better signal,better ID ....- but in normal sweep you lose signal ....In low mineralized terrain it is not so visible...

• Like 1