Equinox 600 Vs Fisher F44 & F70

16 minutes ago, WV CoinMiner said:

Like anything with limits contains you in a box and you must work within that parameter. No one is going to do R&D if they can't sale it. I wasn't arguing gains after a certain watt, that never left my lips. Just stated the fact there is a government reg concerning it.

And all anyone that has responded is clearly saying is that the FCC regulation does not apply since the wattage limit you are quoting can never happen when it comes to hobby metal detectors no matter where they are made due to physics, not government restrictions.

As for metal detectors whether older or newer/single frequency or SMF, I passed up on several great deals on USA eBay today. I just don't see the point in buying a USA made VLF single frequency metal detector or the Garrett Ace Apex, since I like to be able to chose between the latest simultaneous multi frequency operation and competitive single frequency operation all wrapped up in one detector that can do it all easily, like the Deus 2, Equinox, Manticore and the Legend offer. I am definitely enjoying my USA made Garrett Axiom PI detector. It's fantastic.

You can keep using and enjoying any metal detector you like and I hope you keep enjoying this hobby.

• Like 5

Whites are dead, why? People were not buying enough of their detectors to make their business viable and I'll leave it up to anyone to work out why that could be; I'd imagine if First Texas wasn't making an abundance of entry level machines they would also be wound up, how big do you think the demand for the F-75 is new? they're hard enough to sell second hand at low prices around here, essentially they're no longer in the game outside of beginner detectors which their high-end machines are rapidly becoming with the introduction of initially the Simplex, Apex followed now by the new Score models from Nokta and X-terra Pro from Minelab.  Tesoro died, as will every company that doesn't keep up and innovate.   

I'm just hoping we don't face worse lack of competition in the future with even more companies giving up on metal detectors and their further development although it's very likely we will, it's bad enough as it is with the lack of competition now due to many just not making any new detectors for whatever reason for the past decade.  There has been much debate lately if there are 2, 3 or 4 actual metal detecting manufacturers in the game at the moment outside of beginner machines that are competitive with the best, that can easily drop down to 1 to 2 over the coming years just like Minelab has had no real competition in the high-end gold detector market.

Not many of us are involved in any way with the making of metal detectors and one those that are has pointed out the FCC limits are not part of the problem with increasing performance as I was merely pointing out there are other countries making metal detectors that are not bound by such rules and if the secret sauce was to take advantage of that they would be, some of which already don't sell into the US market and have no intentions of doing so.

7 hours ago, Guest WV CoinMiner said:

But it is not a myth of 5 watt regulation same as CB's.

While much of what you've posted has merit, this does not. Not even for CBs, which are limited to 4W. Here is an excerpt from ITMD-3:

image.thumb.png.79d99979ef117e35b20e9d5736287f35.png

ITMD also has a section that explains the actual FCC regs that apply to metal detectors but it spans 3 pages so I won't post it. But it explains the real emissions limits that detectors face, and that those limits are not a factor. If you want to know what they are, look up the FCC report for a recent detector (I think there was a thread here that talked about the Manticore) and it will specify every FCC reg that was applied. I've personally put several metal detectors through FCC testing so I know for certain what the requirements are.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Thank you all for the enlightening technical information. That's why I love this forum 🙂

Sooo...what the heck is Minelab talking about when they claim, "The Manticore has 50% more power than the Nox 800"? Is that just meaningless marketing jargon?

The Whites 24k now Garrett 24k also has 50% more voltage to the coil than the previous model.

24k.thumb.jpg.deca0dc5fa25ab46004a4ddfe5b29bff.jpg

• Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Sooo...what the heck is Minelab talking about when they claim, "The Manticore has 50% more power than the Nox 800"? Is that just meaningless marketing jargon?

See footnote #3. What ML probably means is that the Manticore has a 50% stronger TX field. I give ML a pass on this because what they are using is common terminology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vladimir 06660 said:

60 percent in our business is played by the correctly selected coil for the goals, tasks, environment, and also the factor of the chosen frequency. 

30 Percent Detector.

10 Percent Operator.

OK.  Not sure what those numbers really mean but I get the idea.

I guess I look at it a little differently and of course this is all more subjective than scientific.  This is a guess, but I think today's stock coils can get the job done in more than 90% of the detecting situations that are suited to the capabilities of any particular detector.  A gold-focused detector will typically be accompanied with an appropriate gold focused coil (small and highly sensitive to tiny gold targets) and the latest and greatest class of SMF/selectable single frequency detectors (Equinox, Legend, Deus 2, Manticore, etc.) come with decent general purpose coils.  Of course using the wrong coil for the job will certainly hinder your ability to recover desired targets in certain situations (e.g., using a coil too small for the typical target depths in the area of interest or using a coil too large for hot soils or micro targets) but I think using a middle of the road (stock) coil will likely only marginally affect your results vs. using the optimal coil.  Ask Manticore users who have been forced to use only the stock coil for nearly a year.

But I think equipment, ironically, comes in last overall in the list of factors that determine success or enjoyment in detecting.

Location and site conditions alway trump experience, skill, and least of all equipment.  A great site with good soil, little trash always makes for a great experience for the new detectorist who at least knows the basics on how to use their detector and recover the targets.  That's why people should spend more time learning how to research and gain access to great sites than they do fretting about the capabilities of their equipment. IMO.  (I know, blasphemy).

• Like 6