Vez

Long Time Detecting Buddy's Heartfelt Testimony On Tesoros

Mike makes some good points about misinformation, but (IMO) he unfortunately contributes to that misinformation in the end when he trashes air tests, nail board tests, and in ground test beds.  They have their place when properly interpreted.  The problem lies in misinterpretation, particularly when someone (apparently some YouTube video creators) steer you in a direction based upon their own biased interpretation.  Same is true with detectors, as Mike and others here already have emphasized.  Any detector with knobs/buttons can be set up incorrectly and end up looking like crap.  Use it in the wrong environment, ditto.  I personnaly avoid the detector comparison videos because the chance they are unbiased (that includes unintentionally biased) is pretty tiny.

Oh, and based upon Mike's comments on the video (and also on some past reports on this forum) I'm going to look into getting a used Tesoro.  😁

• Like 4

11 hours ago, therover said:

As always, the conditions, environment, personal preference and budget dictate how a person is going to mesh with a detector. 

Being in this hobby for over 25 years and owning close to 50-60 different units over that time frame, there were certain units that gelled with me and others, no matter how well they worked or how much praise they got from other people, they just did not gel with me. It was either the ergonomics, the tones, the way the interface worked for set up. Numerous things. I am sure this is also how others feel. There are units that just don't mesh with them no matter how much they try to like them, how well the unit works or what others say. What good is a top of the line unit if the person does not like it at all and will only hunt with if for a few minutes ? 

Point is, there are a lot of things that are subjective when it comes to what unit a person likes to use. The worst thing an experienced hunter can do is trash another persons preference. Yes...they have that right. But is it really productive ? Does it really help that other hunter ? Especially a person just getting into the hobby. If a person only has $200 to spend, the number of units available to them are slim. Especially if they want a unit that will work for more than a week. Tesoro has several low cost units that WORK. They will last and prior to their wows, had an exceptional warranty. Owning several over the years, I have NEVER had to use that warranty. 

Whenever I have a new person curious about the hobby and they want to come out hunting with me (salt water beach hunting not included !), I always hand them a Tesoro. At this point it's the Mojave. Even if they want to take the trek to the beach, it works very well in the dry sand so a beach hunt is not out of the question...they just can't follow me into the wet salt sand and suds.

Set it up just like the gent stated, discrimination just above iron, and tell them to dig everything that has a solid, repeatable beep. Simple. They would look at me with my E-Trac, Deus, V3i, F75, CZ's or whatever unit I had the fancy to use that day and want to know what all the advanced settings do and what the VDI display tells me and I tell them don't bother. Plus, I don't use VDI much. I am a tone hunter for the most part. Even single tone works for me.

Since it's their first go round, the main objective is to have FUN and find stuff. ANY STUFF. A Tesoro will do that. And the newbie can hunt for hours without any fatigue...physically or mentally (meaning no multiple tones to confuse them). We want newbies to want to get out again, want to learn more, want to research, want to have a smile on their face when they find a really cool relic, old coin or a piece of gold or silver. 

Bottom line is, everyone is different. Everyone has their own preferences. Telling someone who only has a few hundred dollars to spend that wants to get into the hobby,  don't bother unless they save more money and get a much more advanced unit, is selling this hobby short. 

So are you saying we should keep it dumbed down? I mean should we not publicly say a 1000.00 dollar detector will normally blow a 200.00 detector away? Misinformation can be defined in a few different ways.....keeping it dumbed down and not telling folks that all detectors are not created equal is at the height of the misinformation scale to me. Hey what do I know??

I have never belittled anyone about how much money the have to spend on a detector. We lived in the projects and lived on food stamps when I was young  so I know what its like to be poor...and would never insult someone for not having money to spend on a detector.

With that being said I normally show mid to high end detectors...except for the Cibola and Vaquero I showed...My target audience is the guys looking at mid priced detectors to high end ones.

I am just the opposite I am gonna hand a newbie  a metered machine and have them digging clad coins in just a few minutes. Maybe a Ace 250,350, . Found my first silver coin with a ace 250....

I dont tow the politically correct line like some ,we are all different and that's ok. That is what makes the world interesting. If your post was not about me please accept my apologies but since the thread started out by calling me out. I just assumed it was. Check out the Tejon, Anfibio and Equinox video over in the comparision section... Testing it on gold...wait a minute aint the Tejon a 700.00 dollar detector.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, calabash digger said:

So are you saying we should keep it dumbed down? I mean should we not publicly say a 1000.00 dollar detector will normally blow a 200.00 detector away? Misinformation can be defined in a few different ways.....keeping it dumbed down and not telling folks that all detectors are not created equal is at the height of the misinformation scale to me. Hey what do I know??

I have never belittled anyone about how much money the have to spend on a detector. We lived in the projects and lived on food stamps when I was young  so I know what its like to be poor...and would never insult someone for not having money to spend on a detector.

With that being said I normally show mid to high end detectors...except for the Cibola and Vaquero I showed...My target audience is the guys looking at mid priced detectors to high end ones.

I am just the opposite I am gonna hand a newbie  a metered machine and have them digging clad coins in just a few minutes. Maybe a Ace 250,350, . Found my first silver coin with a ace 250....

I dont tow the politically correct line like some ,we are all different and that's ok. That is what makes the world interesting. If your post was not about me please accept my apologies but since the thread started out by calling me out. I just assumed it was. Check out the Tejon, Anfibio and Equinox video over in the comparision section... Testing it on gold...wait a minute aint the Tejon a 700.00 dollar detector.

Lighten up dude.

It's pretty obvious a person doesn't need much information to know a $200 unit isn't going to perform or have the bells and whistles of a $1,000 unit. Don't need a YouTube video for that.  

Now you say YOU would rather hand a newbie an ACE 250. Right back to personal preferences. Have them dig clad coins and leave a possible gold ring or pendant in the ground or teach them most of their targets when relic and jewelry hunting will be trash. But hey, what do I know. 

Positively promote the hobby in all aspects...that's my mantra. 

• Like 1

I am not uptight....and yes a new person to hobby doesnt know his rear end from a hole in the ground when its comes to detecting. So yes some might need a youtube video to tell them the difference between a high end detector and a beginner model. On some ones first day of digging I wouldn't want them digging bubble gum wrappers and tin foil on a trashy site looking for gold all day....

BTW you tell me to lighten up the guy in the video was out in the field detecting walking around bothered about what I said about a metal detector. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2018 at 11:41 AM, GB_Amateur said:

to.  I personnaly avoid the detector comparison videos because the chance they are unbiased (that includes unintentionally biased) is pretty tiny.

😁

I agree, good comparison videos are very hard to find.That is what is nice about Calabash's videos, they are as unbiased as you are going to get.

He had mentions on the Deus site, yet was still able to do good videos on the Equinox when that came out, that must have been hard. 99% of youtubers would have caved.

Everything in those videos can be duplicated in your location, assuming somewhat similar soil. Everything he has said about every detector in those videos that I have swung has turned out to be true. What more could I want from a review.

If you are going to drop a grand on a machine without trying it, watching Calabash swing one in his test garden is the next best thing to swinging it yourself. Very to the point and information dense videos.

• Like 3