Vez

Long Time Detecting Buddy's Heartfelt Testimony On Tesoros

Was recorded today, ignore time stamp ūüôā

• Like 3

Nice video! I dont just live in the test garden. Go watch my channel and see over a 100 hunt videos in the field in iron most of the time. Your accusing me of misinformation because I was down on Tesoro.

I dont like them and IMO there are better machines on the market today for the iron... The Anfibio with 9 inch concentric will be in a video with a Tejon ..Oh yeah I forgot test beds and board test are useless...lol Check this hunting video out...you found one of these lately? Here is a few of my finds from the iron... I think I might be qualified to speak about hunting iron...I cant tell a gold ring 99% of the time like that guy you talk about ...hog wash!

Misinformation....ūüė鬆GW ¬†

DSCN0626.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

This situation was predictable. I have a lot of respect for both of these detectorists and I learn a lot from them when I visit their sites. Unfortunately I have seen more and more of this type of antipathy on this site lately. I wish we could all try to be more factual, informative, objective and  supportive on this site and less emotionally editorial when we express our views on detectors, detector users, detecting and prospecting on this site. I definitely seem to be allergic to detectors from one company in Texas. I really like their pinpointers. I just leave it at that. Its my problem not the detector company's problem. I have also been critical of the detector lines of some of our other detector companies in terms of modernization. I still support them along with the users of their products and I really want them to succeed and have fun detecting. Happy holidays, hopefully:smile:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Good video & he came across real well. I have to agree with all he said. Especially about the test beds. I have never rated test beds, air test etc. Even in my very early days of detecting I never put much faith in them. I have never done them or practised them. Like he said. It is what happens in real world detecting out in the field that matters. You can't duplicate that 100%. For me.... gold nugget detecting, more so than coin & relic.       We are all different & we are going to have different opinions on makes & models of detectors for whatever form of detecting we do. One thing I do know is that the more serious of us are going to have way more than just one detector. They will also be different makes & models. I love my Minelabs for gold nugget hunting. Time out in the field using them & other dedicated makes of gold machines & detecting alongside other people using the same & other makes all adds up to experience. While for me that experience has given me the utmost confidence & peace of mind & trust with Minelab. It also comes down to the application of a certain detector for certain conditions, gold size & depth of gold. Zed, 4500/5000, then there are the VLF's. Gold Monster, EQ 800. The EQ 800 being a very good all purpose machine. But by no means is it all about Minelab. I still love my GB2 & use it regularly. It still has its place for me & it is old analog technology. Just like this guy said about Tesoro's. While my focus is on gold nugget detecting & detectors for that purpose. The coin & relic side of things has such a huge range of makes & models that I am not too familiar with. But at the end of the day it is whatever machine, or machines that does it for you & gives you that confidence & peace of mind in your detecting. I know it won't be just the one detector. No matter what makes & models do it for you......enjoy being out there doing it.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:    

• Like 3

Great post JW,  I use test beds and air testing to get acquainted or sometimes reacquainted with my detectors in order to practice with them and to know their different characteristics and controls (if I haven't used them in awhile). I especially use them to remember tone characteristics and general target ID scenarios. I do not use them in comparison tests in order to keep one or get rid of one. That kind of testing can only be done in the field. Unfortunately it is 28 F with a 15 mph wind so no field work today! When I go to Calabash Digger's site or Mike's site I am looking for the kind of information I mentioned at the beginning. I don't really care about their opinions concerning certain detectors or detector companies. I do care when anyone starts bashing the users of those detectors.  That is just not OK with me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Unfortunately I have seen more and more of this type of antipathy on this site lately. I wish we could all try to be more factual, informative, objective and  supportive on this site and less emotionally editorial when we express our views on detectors, detector users, detecting and prospecting on this site.

50 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I don't really care about their opinions concerning certain detectors or detector companies. I do care when anyone starts bashing the users of those detectors.  That is just not OK with me.

I agree with you Jeff and do the best I can to tamp down that sort of stuff. It is hard to know where to draw the line, and if I exert my editorial powers too strongly then people think I am trying to sway the discussion. So I try to stay out of it unless people do descend into personal insults. The bottom line is I wish people could focus on their own experiences and helping each other, instead of spending time criticising each other personally. Feel free to contact me via PM Jeff if you have any suggestions for me as a moderator as i think we are on the same page. Thanks.

This is a Tesoro forum and anyone that has issues with Tesoro versus some other brand needs to take it to the Advice & Comparisons Forum to duke it out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You do a grand job Steve. Always a good balance. Very hard to know where to draw the line &/or not become a dictator. You do just fine.¬†ūüĎć

Best of luck out there

JW :smile:

• Thanks 1

Whether Tesoro or any other brand, I've always found objective air tests, test gardens and nail boards to be instructive and predictive. It is no accident that the machines that do the best in this regard also tend to be the best in the field. There are exceptions. I won't get into those here because they don't include Tesoro's. I've always found testing of Tesoro's to be predictive and instructive in general hunting. The key is you have to either conduct them yourself and/or follow someone who wants to and knows how to conduct them objectively. They have gotten a bad name from people who get the results they want or don't know how to conduct them. You'll find that a lot on YouTube, so it's easy to write them off and throw everyone into a testing basket of deplorables. Personally, I like the performance of Tesoros. They will do as well as anything else out there in mild to moderate mineralization and in heavy trash. I no longer own Tesoro for the same reason I don't own any First Texas Machines (other than Carl's new pinpointer). They aren't multifrequency, and in Tesoro's case they don't have the kind of disc tools that you can only get from digital machines. 

• Like 3

As always, the conditions, environment, personal preference and budget dictate how a person is going to mesh with a detector. 

Being in this hobby for over 25 years and owning close to 50-60 different units over that time frame, there were certain units that gelled with me and others, no matter how well they worked or how much praise they got from other people, they just did not gel with me. It was either the ergonomics, the tones, the way the interface worked for set up. Numerous things. I am sure this is also how others feel. There are units that just don't mesh with them no matter how much they try to like them, how well the unit works or what others say. What good is a top of the line unit if the person does not like it at all and will only hunt with if for a few minutes ? 

Point is, there are a lot of things that are subjective when it comes to what unit a person likes to use. The worst thing an experienced hunter can do is trash another persons preference. Yes...they have that right. But is it really productive ? Does it really help that other hunter ? Especially a person just getting into the hobby. If a person only has $200 to spend, the number of units available to them are slim. Especially if they want a unit that will work for more than a week. Tesoro has several low cost units that WORK. They will last and prior to their wows, had an exceptional warranty. Owning several over the years, I have NEVER had to use that warranty. 

Whenever I have a new person curious about the hobby and they want to come out hunting with me (salt water beach hunting not included !), I always hand them a Tesoro. At this point it's the Mojave. Even if they want to take the trek to the beach, it works very well in the dry sand so a beach hunt is not out of the question...they just can't follow me into the wet salt sand and suds.

Set it up just like the gent stated, discrimination just above iron, and tell them to dig everything that has a solid, repeatable beep. Simple. They would look at me with my E-Trac, Deus, V3i, F75, CZ's or whatever unit I had the fancy to use that day and want to know what all the advanced settings do and what the VDI display tells me and I tell them don't bother. Plus, I don't use VDI much. I am a tone hunter for the most part. Even single tone works for me.

Since it's their first go round, the main objective is to have FUN and find stuff. ANY STUFF. A Tesoro will do that. And the newbie can hunt for hours without any fatigue...physically or mentally (meaning no multiple tones to confuse them). We want newbies to want to get out again, want to learn more, want to research, want to have a smile on their face when they find a really cool relic, old coin or a piece of gold or silver. 

Bottom line is, everyone is different. Everyone has their own preferences. Telling someone who only has a few hundred dollars to spend that wants to get into the hobby,  don't bother unless they save more money and get a much more advanced unit, is selling this hobby short. 

• Like 6