phrunt

Detecting A Train, What Detector Would You Use?

This may seem hilarious but I want to use my detector to find a locomotive or two.   In the 1920's some trains were buried nearby as a bit of a stop bank for the river to help with flooding as they no longer had a use for the trains when they decommissioned the train lines and their scrap metal value at the time was next to nothing.   A team of guys are finding the trains to restore them to put them on display in the town.   It seems from the surface currently the ones that have been found are about a meter down when you first encounter the metal but that could obviously vary, that's just ones they found using a digger exploring. 

I have a limited supply of detectors but I think possibly my GPX 4500 using the biggest coil I can get my hands on might be the best choice of detector?

I can detect my car from almost what feels like about 2 meters in the air using the GPX and 14x9 Evo Mono and a train has a whole lot more metal than my car.

I also have the Equinox with 12x15" coil, the T2 with 15" Teknetics coil and Garrett Euroace which is quite low frequency at 8.25khz with the 12x13" Nel Tornado coil and I have the 12x15" DD Commander coil for my GPX.

Here is the ones they've found already

1543833464322.jpg

1543833464322.jpg

And the Newspaper story on it

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109051796/trains-unearthed-in-southland-for-the-first-time-in-nine-decades

Does it seem feasible I would be able to help them find more using the GPX or any other detector?  It's been mentioned I maybe able to help them but I wasn't sure.

Also, if the GPX is the best, is there settings on it that would be best to find bigger deep targets, I have it setup to find small gold.

Thanks 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I think your GPX wit a large coil would do very well. For a test, check out the response on a culvert buried in a roadway.

Norm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you please send us a picture of you detecting your car 😄😄

RR

• Haha 2

I would think your GPX and big coil would do the job.

• Like 1

Such a cool story! I agree that you should check out trying to find a culvert buried under a road, which shouldn't be a problem, and that will let you know about which coil works the best for a large, deep target. If it's only a meter down, I imagine your machine should shout back at you with a strong response.

On a different note, I remember speaking to a WWII veteran. He told me how after WWII was over, they dug huge trenches and pits by wartime runways and pushed planes into them, then set them on fire. However, he also told me of one pit where they just pushed the planes in and didn't burn them. Now, wouldn't that be something to find?

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 3

I can loan you a 25 inch Nugget Finder mono coil. At one meter deep you should have no problem. You will probably pick up a train in China. :laugh:

JW :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

I can loan you a 25 inch Nugget Finder mono coil. At one meter deep you should have no problem. You will probably pick up a train in China. :laugh:

Thanks!!! 🙂 25" is damn huge, that'll do the job nicely.  We'll see what happens, seems like a fun mission, although If I find one I'll refuse to get my mug in the paper!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simon steam locomotives are small potatoes.  Imagine the fun you could have with your very own tank ☺️

• Oh my! 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

Thanks!!! 🙂 25" is damn huge, that'll do the job nicely.  We'll see what happens, seems like a fun mission, although If I find one I'll refuse to get my mug in the paper!

You might get Minelabs find of the month again. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1