Fisher Gold Bug 2 Price Decrease

The Minimum Advertised price for the Fisher Gold Bug 2 has been US$764 for many years. I just noticed that at least a couple reputable websites are now advertising the Gold Bug 2 for $699. The Gold Bug 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth, having been in production since 1995, yet you can still argue that to this day no detector does a better job of getting the tiniest gold bits with its little 6" concentric coil.

I am not sure if this is a temporary holiday price decrease, or just a response to all the new competition on the market. Still, I thought I would make a note of it for the Fisher Gold Bug 2 fans out there - you know who you are! :smile: Google search for "fisher gold bug 2"

fisher-gold-bug-2-metal-detector.jpg.4b2
Fisher Gold Bug 2 metal detector

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IDMineralSurveys said:

My 3rd trip out I found my first nugget (ever) ...a 218 grainer out of an old tailings pile.  My next three trips nothing, and then 6 tiny pieces one weekend on a late summer trip with Lunk. For the record he had found 16 more to my 6!

That's a cracking bit of gold plus some solid follow up pieces. 

Well done and well done also to Lunk and Gerry - good service to set you on the right track  ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kiwijw said:

.03 of a gram. Not sure what that is in your language.

JW, that little ripper would be called an half grain bit in yankeese lingo. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IDMineralSurveys said:

I was originally looking to purchase the GM1000, but as they weren't available yet March 2017 and knowing Lunk had the experience, I called him up chatting about what areas I wanted to go detecting... N Idaho gold!. He recommended the Gold Bug 2 for me - he's right ...it fits my personality. He introduced me to Gerry and I met him during a trip to Boise and bought one from him with the 6.5" coil. I really appreciated Gerry's helpful nature in getting me started with it. 

Mike, we sure enjoy hooking folks up with a detector that fits their predilections and search areas, and then seeing them going out and being successful with it. Congrats again on those nice nuggets, the first of many!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

If that's the case you should seriously consider getting some Lithium or Lipo batteries for it rather than using normal alkaline 9v batteries.

Something like these

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Premium-200mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B004S7BF4G/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1544424915&sr=8-17&keywords=9%2Bvolt%2Bnimh%2Bbattery%2Brechargeable&th=1

Ad says they are NiMH....

Simon,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did pick up a set of Lithium batteries after my last trip out and am going to give them a try - maybe they will help the voltage stability for prolonged field performance like you mention.  It just might be a while as we have winter setting in. I will let you know how they perform in the GB2.

I think the price drop is because of competition and their price points.  $799 for a GM-1000 with 2 coils and $699 for a new 24K with 2 coils certainly is shaking things up a little.  The GB-2 will certainly go down in history as one of my all time favorites though.  My last 1+ pounder was recovered with a GB-2.

1E.JPG

1J.JPG

1Card.jpg

• Like 8

On 12/9/2018 at 11:50 PM, IDMineralSurveys said:

I was originally looking to purchase the GM1000, but as they weren't available yet March 2017 and knowing Lunk had the experience, I called him up chatting about what areas I wanted to go detecting... N Idaho gold!. He recommended the Gold Bug 2 for me - he's right ...it fits my personality. He introduced me to Gerry and I met him during a trip to Boise and bought one from him with the 6.5" coil. I really appreciated Gerry's helpful nature in getting me started with it. 

My 3rd trip out I found my first nugget (ever) ...a 218 grainer out of an old tailings pile.  The last time i was on that mtn was for a gov't survey in May 1988.  My next three trips prospecting - nothing, and then 6 tiny pieces one weekend on a late summer trip with Lunk. For the record he had found 16 more to my 6!

He was right that I would like the GB2. The one thing l've noticed is that I can tell a difference in the sensitivity after a solid 8 hr. run on the batteries. It seems to like the full voltage of fresh batteries best. 

20181208_144056.jpg

20180902_092725.jpg

Mike,  I appreciate you allowing us to help your gold collection get even bigger with our detector knowledge.  If I would have known you were goign out to score a nice ID specie like the one above, I may have headed you south...lol.  Nice finds and thanks for sharing.

• Like 2