XP Orx Compared To XP Deus

Chase Goldman

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Notice these machines have two coils for less cost than the Orx

Yep.  XP has an uphill climb to compete effectively, offering only compactness without groundbreaking performance above the crowded competition.  Like I said, if XP was offering a choice of two of their coils with ORX at that price point, it could be interesting.  Fat chance they will do that though and they would really need to add a few features back to the coin programs for more widespread adoption.  Instead of filling a market niche, they may have gotten themselves into a divot...:sad:

Chase 

Thanks for clarification on the coil in relation to the controller and how it works.

I know I sound hard in respect to the ORX but if you going to include a feature don’t do it half way. If what you come out with can’t compete in price why bother?

Chuck 

3 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase 

Thanks for clarification on the coil in relation to the controller and how it works.

I know I sound hard in respect to the ORX but if you going to include a feature don’t do it half way. If what you come out with can’t compete in price why bother?

Chuck 

Agree.  XP has been enormously successful in the UK.  The Deus design sets up very well for the type of relic and old coin hunting done there.  Similarly they tapped into the Aftican gold craze with their budget gold detecting version of the Deus.  But this ORX gambit and other forays into the US marketplace (especially how they market their products in the US) has often left me scratching my head.

• Like 1

Chase Goldman  

I don’t know if you took note that when the ORX was put down the stand make in with the arm rest is about worthless. When you sit it down it comes to rest right under the grip and falls over every time. Unless you plan on carrying a table to set it on each time it’s going to fall over like a dead horse.

I like a stand that keeps my detector upright and if it don’t I make one that will before I go out the door with it . It would be great that your high dollar detector fell over in a puddle of water while you digging a target.

I know what’s on the inside of a detector is very important but so many times they fall short on the design outside.

Chuck 

11 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase Goldman  

I don’t know if you took note that when the ORX was put down the stand make in with the arm rest is about worthless. When you sit it down it comes to rest right under the grip and falls over every time. Unless you plan on carrying a table to set it on each time it’s going to fall over like a dead horse.

I like a stand that keeps my detector upright and if it don’t I make one that will before I go out the door with it . It would be great that your high dollar detector fell over in a puddle of water while you digging a target.

I know what’s on the inside of a detector is very important but so many times they fall short on the design outside.

Chuck 

Frankly, due to the small form factor of the Deus/ORX, I really don't give it much thought.  It bothers me about as much as whether or not my pinpointer rolls to the side when I set it on the ground.  With a case cover on the remote, or often with no remote attached to the stem at all while in use (I keep it in my chest pocket) it really is no big deal.  You have to use one to know why I feel this way.  Different story with my more traditional detectors like the Equinox or F75.  Prefer those not tipping over.

• Like 1

I kind of like the ORX data sheet when I'm comparing it to the GoldBug 2.  I'm in the market for ultra HF elliptical and so I'm doing the weighing hands thing.  Proven performance Gold Bug 2 vs some additional versatility ORX.

I dunno.  But I'm watching.

HH
Mike

I’m not sure why but I printed the ORX manual today . I like laying the sheets out when viewing what a detector has to offer.

I don’t know if it has enough to offer me to buy it but could be the backup. Just what that is only my pocketbook knows.

Chuck 

Don't forget the excellent 5 year warranty on XP detectors - not that much goes wrong with these detectors.  Something to think about when comparing say the ORX with a waterproof competitor, as most will only offer a 2 or 3 year warranty.

• Like 1

Hi Goldpick

I’ve got one detector that is over 20 years and never seen a repair shop. Then another stayed in there the whole two years of the warranty.

I think a 5 year warranty is great and I think it’s a great detector but it still can only run in one frequency at a time.

I’m not going to say it’s less detector but it does make it less in value.

We all know in 2018 a new standard was set in a detector and price. If you going to put something out in the end of 2018 are 2019 and ask more it has to have more to offer.

Chuck 

• 4 weeks later...

From the outside looking in, I think the Orx has more than enough features to satisfy the average to advanced detectorist.  My take on people in general is that a lot think they are smarter than they actually are. ? This hobby is no different.  That's why they can run a machine with limited or automatic controls and then get themselves way over their head with a machine that has a lot of manual settings.  8 out of 10 will use a Deus and never venture outside of presets. 

The pricing does come at a surprise.  But then again if you break it down, it's not so bad.  Used Deus with LF coil, out of warranty generally sell for $550-600ish.  You could buy that, but then you'd need the HF coil to match the Orx's operating freq. Those are $425 new. That puts you at $975 and no warranty on the machine itself...and that's if you can find one for $550. That's about the cheapest I recently saw one sell for.  At least with the Orx, you get the 5 yr warranty and the $425 coil.  For somebody like me that has been curious about the HF coil performance but don't wanna drop $1,500 on a new Deus...that might be the route to go.  Easy to sell if I don't like it cause it's new and with lots of warranty left.  

Yep it's still a single freq machine but those do have applications where they are still the best tool in the box.  

• Like 4