XP Orx Compared To XP Deus

Chase Goldman

On 12/7/2018 at 7:19 AM, Chase Goldman said:

No independent silencer setting adjustment - (I wonder if it tracks with reactivity setting or if it is turned off?)

Update on this based on the XP ORX FAQ page linked in Steve H.'s post here:

For Coin Fast - Silencer tracks reactivity setting

For Coin Deep - The silencer is turned off

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the XP ORX questions answered site ID normalization is always ON and automatically normalizes IDs for both HF and X35 coils and frequencies. If so, that is a major improvement over the constant up averaging, especially using the HF coils on the Deus. At least in the discrimination modes on the Deus, it always seemed to me that the HF coils were only partially integrated software wise. They seem to be fully supported on the ORX 

In both ORX Gold modes target IDs are displayed, another helpful difference from the Deus Gold mode.

thanks for this informative thread.

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi,

this is an update with some corrections of previously stated information in this thread after very preliminary testing of the ORX using the HF elliptical coil.

ID Normalization is definitely on full-time with the HF coil. Shifting frequencies on surface to 4" deep coin sized targets (used a nickel and quarter) in my test bed did not result in any major changes of target IDs. They stayed roughly the same with only slight up averaging on deeper targets. After 4" in my dirt (ground mineral bar on the ORX is up to 2/3 filled) only the Nox will ID a nickel with any accuracy. Target IDs also stayed the same when changing between the four search modes regardless of frequency used. So even in the gold modes the target IDs remained the same. Nickel=61-63, zinc penny=85-86, copper penny/clad dime/mercury dime=90-92, clad quarter=95-96. One of my biggest complaints with the Deus using the HF coils was the complete lack of ID normalization which resulted in a tiny target window for most US coins between 90 and 95 and high tones on almost all targets that weren't on the surface.

Tone Breaks are adjustable for the lowest tone. You can put it anywhere from 0 to 99 by changing the discrimination. So for instance, if you set you discrimination on zero in either of the coin modes you will not have a low tone for any target above zero. Medium tone starts at the highest number of the user set discrimination level and goes up to 75 where high tone begins.

Audio Modulation does exist on the ORX. In the 3 tone coin modes surface to shallow targets have much louder and broader responses and deeper targets have progressively softer and shorter responses. In the single tone gold modes the same holds true. It is similar for pinpoint mode. Surface to shallow coin sized targets produce strong higher pitches and deeper or very small targets produce much softer and lower pitches.

A Depth Meter of sorts does exist on the ORX. It is built into the pinpoint function just like on the Deus. I have only tested this on coin sized objects. Surface to shallow (0 to 3") coins pinpointed will fill in or almost fill in the pinpoint target box. Deeper to very deep coin sized targets (4 to 8") will only fill in less than half to only 1/8 or less of the pinpoint target box.

The updated armrest and shaft are amazingly lightweight. I know that there is only a 2 ounce weight difference but to me it feels like a lot compared to the Deus.

Jeff

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 3:10 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

In both ORX Gold modes target IDs are displayed, another helpful difference from the Deus Gold mode.

Target IDs ARE displayed in Gold Field mode on the Deus as well.  The ORX implementation of Gold Field mode is almost identical to Deus Gold Field with the exception of the range of adjustability of reactivity and no GB tracking.

• Like 1

Hi Chase,

my Bad!!!  I should have just said that the same large numerical target ID screen is used for all the modes on the ORX. Yes, there are numerical target IDs displayed in Gold Field on the Deus. Depending on which visualization screen one is using the numerical target IDs are medium sized characters to extremely tiny - 1/8" characters. I usually used the XY graph when prospecting to get an easy to read visualization with no other clutter. I never even remember getting a numerical target ID up in the top right corner of the screen. I probably would not have been able to see it anyway without magnification. The ORX seems to be tailor made for me and my age related worsening eyesight..... 

thanks for the correction...

Jeff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I should have just said that the same large numerical target ID screen is used for all the modes on the ORX.

Jeff,

Oh yeah,  got it,  I am with you! I love that ORX VDI popup feature and the iron probability display.  If ORX had pitch on the coin modes and GB tracking, it would be able to do 90% of what I need it to do vs. Deus.  As it is, it makes a serviceable backup to Deus.  I hope XP incorporates the ORX display features as an option on a future Deus update, probably unlikely, though.  I would also take an ORX update to add pitch audio, which seems lije a trivial upgrade to accomplish.  HH.

• 4 months later...

Ok I changed my mind on purchasing the ORX..the price was lowered to 599. with x35 9” coil. Since I already have the two Hf Coils on hand it was a simple choice. Headphones were another $99. We’ll see how the ORX does on the beach for me.

• Like 2