Review Of Gerry's Field Training Course

I was there, one of the under 50 guys :biggrin:

GB's write up is spot on.  Excellent class and had a lot of fun.  The main thing for me was asking questions.  Come with lots and lots of questions.  Its your chance to ask directly, get advice, and see with your own eyes any of the things you might only read about.  With all the questions I asked and all the new techiniques I learned my confidence as a good detectorist increased exponentially!  

Also it was fun to meet other detectorists and hunt with them, bounce ideas, etc. I have no detectorist friends where I am from.  Finding gold on your own is not as much fun as to share your finds with someone immediately.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

I was there, one of the under 50 guys :biggrin:

With all the questions I asked and all the new techiniques I learned my confidence as a good detectorist increased exponentially!

Ok, Brian, you confirm I got at least one of my age conclusions correct.

Yes, I agree 100% that the main takeaway from the class is confidence.  That always sounds so simple but it is probably the most difficult thing to accomplish, especially when learning on your own.

• Like 3

You guys hit the nail on the head. I read somewhere once that the one big secret to successful nugget shooting is that there is no one big secret; it's many things combined, including technique, location, persistence, etc. And I know from experience that the sum of all those things is an emergent confidence: confidence in your ability to operate your detector, confidence in your detector, and confidence in the ground you are searching. When you attain to that level of confidence, you’ve truly become a successful nugget shooter and the gold finds come as a matter of course.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have always heard good things from people I meet about Gerry's sales and service. I have not personally had any dealings with Gerry.

I have been out in the field prospecting for over 10 years now.

So many people think a detector does not have a learning curve. It beeps when it's over metal, how much more to it could there be?...haha after 3 PI machines and running a few VLF's besides the one I own, I can tell you there is much to learn about running a detector, let alone looking for gold with one.

If you can attend a class or get out with a experienced nugget shooter, your going to be more successful!!

• Like 6

I too was at the Rye Patch training with GB_Amateur and about 15 others, great time and learned quite a bit. This was my second training session with Gerry and his crew of top notch instructors. I had also gone to Oregon in September and learned a lot and found my first gold with a detector at that training.  Having the time and desire to learn more I went to Nevada to pick up more tips and tricks for gold detection, I was not disappointed.

I did pickup two more pieces but after the training.  I stayed for an additional two days and wished it could have been more.  I did run into Lunk out in the field, the guy is amazing to watch with a detector, thanks for the help!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 12/17/2018 at 6:47 AM, Majuba Man said:

I too was at the Rye Patch training with GB_Amateur and about 15 others, great time and learned quite a bit. This was my second training session with Gerry and his crew of top notch instructors. I had also gone to Oregon in September and learned a lot and found my first gold with a detector at that training.  Having the time and desire to learn more I went to Nevada to pick up more tips and tricks for gold detection, I was not disappointed.

I did pickup two more pieces but after the training.  I stayed for an additional two days and wished it could have been more.  I did run into Lunk out in the field, the guy is amazing to watch with a detector, thanks for the help!

Earl,  Now you have 2x the knowledge and have a better understanding of desert style nugget hunting and then the mountain terrains as we did in eastern Oregon.  Now it really doesn't matter where or what states you are hunting gold with a detector, your skills will be served.  After all, you did find the nicest nugget in Sumpter on that last day, all on your own too.  Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1