Equinox Complete Carbon-fiber Shaft Prototype Is Complete (more Pics Added -- Prototype #2)!

steveg

alldugup -- I agree with the idea that the one on the right is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, as do most who have commented on the various forums...

Thanks for your feedback!

Steve

• Like 1

dew --  I do think the one on the right has a bit more "surface area" that contacts the smaller (lower) rod, as you are noting.  But at this point, I'm not sure that the additional "surface area" is resulting in stronger clamping strength...both clamp extremely securely.

Here is a question; is it in any way a "hindrance" to folks, having the adjustment screw require an Allen wrench?  Would that be something folks would be unhappy with?  Would a thumb screw instead, for adjustment of the clamping lever tension, be a "make-or-break" feature?

Steve

I personally like the one on the right the best too.  Would it make or break a deal, It wouldn't if I never knew about both :biggrin:

But now that I have seen both (but don't have them in hand to make any determinations) I think the looks and possibly quality of the one on the right is the way to go.

As for hex bolts.  I would not see that as a problem.  Once they are adjusted they should need to be adjusted again or that often I would assume.

• Like 1

Id likely change the bolt to a SS with a wing nut on the back...... but MOST would be ok with the bolt ... IF its SS..... something id ensure or if not let people know who might want to salt water hunt with it.    Looking at the way it closes thou Steve i dont know that you have a choice as far as the allen.  How many times are you going to have to adjust it anyway..... very few

Dewcon --

Yes, it's a good point; there are not many times you'd ever have to adjust it.  Once you got it set the way you wanted it, that would pretty much be it.

YES, the screws are stainless.  That was something that was a definite requirement for the design, given the salt-water hunters.  The thumb screw would be stainless, too. 

I wasn't sure how they'd do a thumb screw either, dew, based on the design, but it IS an option, according to the factory; they sent me a picture, and the thumb screw goes on the back -- opposite the clamping lever, not on the top of the clamping lever itself.  Otherwise, the clamp is identical...please see the picture below (though it's a bit hard to see...)

Steve

clampwiththumbscrew.jpg

For your first runs, i would not worry about the thumb screw.  Locking nut on the hex bolt?  If so that probably would work the best.  Otherwise if your gonna just do thumb bolts you then have two adjustments (thumb screw and clamp).  As a buyer i then would resort to pluggers clamps which is just one adjustment, the wing nut.  I would try to keep it simple, to me that is just the clamp (my reasons for wanting it, plus it looks better imo)

afreakofnature --

I think maybe you misunderstood.  There would not be two adjustments.  Only one.  The thumb screw you see in this picture, is to adjust the tension of the clamping lever.  In this version of the clamp, you make the adjustment from the "back" of the cam lock, via the thumb screw.  In the other version, you make the adjustment from the "front" of the cam lock, via the hex screw, using an Allen wrench.  EITHER WAY, there is only one adjustment -- a screw that allows you to adjust the clamping lever's tension...the only difference is, do you want to adjust the lever tension with an Allen wrench, from the front of the clamp, or with a thumb screw from the back -- with no wrench required?  See what I'm saying?  And like you and Dew both mentioned, it's not an adjustment you'd make, except for rare occasions, anyway.  Once it's adjusted to the right tension, it's pretty much adjusted.  I just thought a "no wrench" version might be preferable to an "Allen wrench required" version...

Steve

Hi Steve,

The new shafts look great! I’m wondering if the lower rod that I’ve purchased from you, will work with the new shaft? I’m assuming it will. My apologies if this detail has been gone over already.

Thank you for letting us be part of the development process.

BH