Equinox Complete Carbon-fiber Shaft Prototype Is Complete (more Pics Added -- Prototype #2)!

steveg

13 hours ago, SnohomishDigger said:

What type of durability testing do you have planned?

Snohomish --

Thanks for your question, and your interest; it's appreciated.

I have already done a substantial amount of testing of the shaft -- and particularly the cam locks.  Specifically, a focus has been evaluation of the strength of the clamping capability of the cam lock (I've been very impressed).  I've been producing the lower rods for quite awhile now, and these will be included with the complete shaft system; over the past year of producing shafts, I have learned to have confidence in the tube suppliers I use; the tubes are of high strength and high quality. 

I am also having the shafts field-tested by a very well-known, very demanding detectorist.  He's both a land and a salt-water hunter, and he already uses my EQX lower rods.  He's providing feedback on the upper shaft now, as well.  One of the main questions he will be helping to answer is whether there is any benefit to adding the button holes (for the lower rod spring button) for heavy-surf hunters, and he'll be helping me to answer this question.  I am highly impressed with the clamping strength of the cam locks, but not being a surf hunter myself, I am seeking to determine -- in the demanding conditions that water drag and surf place on a coil/lower shaft from a torque perspective -- whether the inclusion of the button holes for such salt-water hunters might add additional security with respect to any potential for shaft twist.  (Of course, I WILL add those button holes for any customer who prefers them, for whatever reason).

Otherwise, I am highly confident in the design -- and as one additional point, I specifically chose cam locks that do NOT get epoxied onto the shaft, but instead are secured with clamping screws.  That way, if anyone were ever to have an issue with a cam lock for any reason, very simple/easy/inexpensive replacement could be done.  I also spec'd stainless steel for all screws/etc. -- to minimize any potential for oxidization/corrosion.

FINALLY, if you should every have an issue of any kind, with the shaft, I will personally see to it that it is taken care of in whatever way is necessary -- to your satisfaction.  To me, that's just a given -- I know of no other way to do business...

If you have additional questions, let me know; hopefully I have addressed your concerns!

Thanks!

Steve

3 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Hi Steve,

The new shafts look great! I’m wondering if the lower rod that I’ve purchased from you, will work with the new shaft? I’m assuming it will. My apologies if this detail has been gone over already.

Thank you for letting us be part of the development process.

BH

BeachHunter -- absolutely.  The same lower rods will be used with the complete shaft system, as the one you purchased.  The upper has been designed around the already-existing lower rods, for that reason.  I will be offering the option for anyone who already has a lower rod, to purchase the upper shaft only (with appropriate price reduction, of course) -- if they so desire.

THANKS for your business, and your interest in the complete shaft!

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveg said:

Snohomish --

Thanks for your question, and your interest; it's appreciated.

I have already done a substantial amount of testing of the shaft -- and particularly the cam locks.  Specifically, a focus has been evaluation of the strength of the clamping capability of the cam lock (I've been very impressed).  I've been producing the lower rods for quite awhile now, and these will be included with the complete shaft system; over the past year of producing shafts, I have learned to have confidence in the tube suppliers I use; the tubes are of high strength and high quality. 

I am also having the shafts field-tested by a very well-known, very demanding detectorist.  He's both a land and a salt-water hunter, and he already uses my EQX lower rods.  He's providing feedback on the upper shaft now, as well.  One of the main questions he will be helping to answer is whether there is any benefit to adding the button holes (for the lower rod spring button) for heavy-surf hunters, and he'll be helping me to answer this question.  I am highly impressed with the clamping strength of the cam locks, but not being a surf hunter myself, I am seeking to determine -- in the demanding conditions that water drag and surf place on a coil/lower shaft from a torque perspective -- whether the inclusion of the button holes for such salt-water hunters might add additional security with respect to any potential for shaft twist.  (Of course, I WILL add those button holes for any customer who prefers them, for whatever reason).

Otherwise, I am highly confident in the design -- and as one additional point, I specifically chose cam locks that do NOT get epoxied onto the shaft, but instead are secured with clamping screws.  That way, if anyone were ever to have an issue with a cam lock for any reason, very simple/easy/inexpensive replacement could be done.  I also spec'd stainless steel for all screws/etc. -- to minimize any potential for oxidization/corrosion.

FINALLY, if you should every have an issue of any kind, with the shaft, I will personally see to it that it is taken care of in whatever way is necessary -- to your satisfaction.  To me, that's just a given -- I know of no other to do business...

If you have additional questions, let me know; hopefully I have addressed your concerns!

Thanks!

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

• Like 2

Snohomish -- 

Certainly!

Steve

www.stevesdetectorrods.com

www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

Sorry I guess I was mistaken about the hex bolt and thumb bolt for tension on the clamp.  

However if the hex bolt is the same size as the control unit bolts that are used to clamp on to the upper shaft that would be awesome.  Then you could tighten and adjust everything with just one Allen wrench.

15F44F52-F590-452D-8ED5-32C3F3158369.jpeg

afreakofnature...

I can't recall, for sure.  I THINK (trying to remember) that the hex (Allen) bolts on the bottom of the EQX handle are 3mm, the bolts on the cam lock I did NOT choose are 3mm, but the ones on the cam lock I DID choose are 4mm...

Steve

Pax,

Thanks for your interest!  I appreciate it!

Lower rods can be ordered now; I have some in stock and ready.  I can get you my PayPal address if you would like to order.

The complete shafts are not quite available yet.  I will be placing the order for the first batch of parts/supplies in 1-2 days; I expect 3-4 weeks for delivery of those parts, and then I should have the first of the shafts assembled and ready to start shipping with a week or so after that.  So figure 4-5 weeks from now; i.e. roughly mid January.  

I will put up “for sale” ads on the forums, and announce the complete shafts on my website and Facebook page, when they are ready.  So, you can either wait until then to order the lower rods you need, OR you can order lower rods now, and the upper shaft later — whatever works best for you!

Thanks again for your interest!!

Steve

www.stevesdetectorrods.com

www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

pax --

Sounds good!  Thank you very much for your interest, and the kind words!

I'll mark your name down on my "wait list," as well.

Thank you!

Steve