Equinox Complete Carbon-fiber Shaft Prototype Is Complete (more Pics Added -- Prototype #2)!

dew -- 

Absolutely.  As you well know, putting, say, 10 oz. of weight at the butt end (let's say 12" from the "fulcrum" -- i.e. the handle, in our case) is different from putting 10 oz. of weight 6" BEYOND the butt end (18" from the "fulcrum.")  Another way to say it is, if 12" from the "fulcrum," you need 10 oz. to balance the machine,  you might only need 6 oz., if you move that weight farther out -- to a distance 18" from the "fulcrum." 

Anyway, yes -- a longer lower shaft (moving the weight -- the coil -- farther from the fulcrum) changes things weight-wise/balance-wise, and in the exact same way, moving any counter-weight farther away from the butt end of the shaft (farther from the fulcrum) ALSO changes things, weight-wise, in the very same way.  

And, finally, you sort of "subtly" introduced another variable, there at the end -- and that is, IN the water balance is totally different from OUT of the water balance, assuming you have part of the machine (the coil end) IN the water, and the rest OUT of the water...  ?

Steve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all! I've been talking about this for so long, that I figure some of you may have wondered if it was ever actually going to happen, BUT... I am happy to announce that parts for one of the

Looks great Steve! I did some playing with my Nox and dug out some of my archery gear.  I figured out if I moved my arm cuff forward, that I could get some of my stabilizer weights and attach them via

Thanks, Steve.

Posted Images

Wow, it is going to be harder than I anticipated to decide which supplier to choose!  I received the parts for the second prototype today, and WOW!  Another very high-quality, extremely strong/secure cam lock, and very nice tubes...I am EXTREMELY pleased, and encouraged.

These are going to be really nice shafts...

Time for some side-by-side testing and evaluation, of the two prototypes!

Steve

camlocktop-50.jpg  

camlockopen-50.jpg

camlockright-50.jpg

camlockleft-50.jpg

Based solely on looks from the pics (and not at all on function).  I like the first ones. They seem more "sleek."  Especially in side views.

• Like 1

freak --  

From limited feedback so far, this seems to be the consensus!  

I spoke at length with both suppliers today, asking them various questions, about their ability to provide me the necessary drilled holes in the tubes, if they can handle custom requests, and on and on and on.  Both companies seem VERY similar, based on what they can do for me.  As such, I am having a hard time making a clear choice, and I think one thing that suggests that I COULD do, is I might consider figuring out a way to use BOTH suppliers.  It's always good to have two sources, and maybe there's no need to "burn a bridge" by telling one of the suppliers that I "picked the other company."  Maybe utilizing both of them, is the best of both worlds?  Not sure, just thinking out loud.

So let me ask you a question, along those lines, totally hypothetical.  Based on your comments above, let's say I had built you a shaft, and built it using the SECOND cam lock.  Do you prefer the first one enough that you'd be DISAPPOINTED to have received a shaft built with the second one, or is it a little bit of a "six of one, half dozen of the other?"

Just trying to gauge customer reactions here, as I work through this decision...

Thanks!

Steve

For those interested...

A few of the differences between the two cam locks...

Steve

camspecs(smallrot).jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Nakky said:

Left has more material under the bolt.
Nakky

schermopname.png

I like the looks of the one on the right, but the one on the left looks like it has more clamping surface and looks like the camlock itself is beefier.

Terry --

Consider it done, thank you very much!

Nakky --

I need to check and see specifically if that's correct, or if it's just the angle that they two clamps were sitting at, when I took the picture, that makes it LOOK that way.  THANKS for the observations!

NCToad --

The one on the right DOES have a bit more "surface area" that would clamp on the lower rod.  Surprisingly, I haven't noticed any difference in clamping strength in testing, yet.  I am truly AMAZED at just how tight these things will lock onto the carbon-fiber tubes.  The tubes will not BUDGE.  THANKS for your feedback!

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By nickeldNdimed
      My arms are long and skinny. I have a good amount of slop when swinging that I would like to improve. Even with a jacket!
      I see some folks use padding on the cuff. Would like to see or get some ideas to try.  I know there is an option out there off the shelf but was looking for a DIY idea where I could customize to my arm if possible. Thanks. 
    • By Stu
      Hi, just though this was worth sharing as it turned out so well. A number of things happened to bring this together - the biggest one being having just bought an Equinox my neighbours changing their curtains for blinds. I ended up with 3x6ft lengths of wood curtain pole.
      I also (long story) smashed my right hand up some years ago in a bike crash - straight stem won't work for me. I had read the threads (various threads on straight vs S) and puzzled over the alloy pipe bending method. But then I already have a Mars universal shaft and took a closer look at this. After reading the thread on the  Garrett gizmo that screws into the end of the stem so the arm cup can be moved along I got to thinking some more - I don't own a Garrett but am always intrigued to read what others are up to.
      So the Mars universal shaft will come apart. Held by a holding screw and with some hard pushing and pulling the arm cup pole (I'll call it that) will release. I measured the length I needed, then by hand whittled the shape to Mars flat sided (not round). A tight fit and the holding screw back in place to hold. The strength of this part of the Mars hand grip (the bit under the hand grip) left me confident that it could cope with some pretty minimal stresses - like it would have to do anyway.
      The curtain pole hand whittled at the arm cup end, then drilled through with a slightly under size drill bit. I didn't note the size, but it waggled freely in the Equinox upper stem hole for the arm cup. As I drilled it I waggled the drill to make it a little splayed out (as is the shape of the plastic fitting in the arm cup bits).
      For the Equinox itself a similar blind hole, but on an angle (judged by eye) as per the angled shape of the Minelab underneath grip bit - and also drill waggled around to get the splayed out shape. Two lines of wood were whittled away to the correct diameter for the equinox and it lower grip to meet perfectly. It could be neatened up. I may spray it black.
      Some things considered were the Equinox grip needed to be far enough away from the Mars grip to allow fingers of winter (thick) gloved hands - and also the coil cable and head phone cable. The Mars shaft can be made to shorten - and in effect smash into the back of the Equinox unit. I would just put a wrap of tape around the release lever. I won't ever release it - I don't need to I have a long detector bag - but I guess somebody could.
      Weight for weight the wood pole is pretty light. I weighted the Minelab top piece of shaft, and my piece of wood was 14 grams heavier. 
      The next step (which I am waiting to arrive) is a proper Minelab Equinox lower stem end piece for the coil to go on, The Mars universal one is a bit narrow and this looks it will swap over fairly easily.  

• By tvr
      Today I went to shorten the rod by one notch to put the coil closer to my feet for water hunting. I have been hunting, both in and out of the water with a length more suited to wet sand sweeping. It was very difficult to get the locking mechanism loosened up so I could slide the rod. Same issue I've had before with similar locking mechanisms when used in salt water; particularly with fine sediment in the water.
      Please change to a different type of locking mechanism.
      The one in the first picture is the AQ, and I do not like it since it is already freezing up and took a lot of work to free it up. The second picture is an after market straight shaft with locks that work very well and don't freeze up. The last two pictures are of locks on my wife's shell / shark tooth scoop with the lock open and closed; this one works well and also does not freeze up after much sand and salt water use.

• By nickeldNdimed
      For those that have extra coils, do you just get an extra lower shaft?  

Or would it make sense to have lower and a middle shaft as well so that length can already be set and you have all of your coil wraps already there? 

I also thought about a second full shaft and using one of those 3D printed pod quick connects but they don’t seem durable and it adds to the cost of for the extra convenience...
      Thanks 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The first aftermarket shaft I got for my Equinox was a Golden mask telescoping shaft. The early version took a lot of crude adapting to make work. Later versions had custom adapters made for a more finished product. I also ended up getting a TeleNox telescoping rod.
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/6247-equinox-golden-mask-shaft-conversion/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/8628-new-minelab-micronox/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/10299-tele-nox-rods/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/10716-aftermarket-shafts-for-in-water-use/
      Between the two they are both fine but I like the Golden Mask version a little more. A bit stouter, no flex, and less levers and other moving parts. The plus for the Telenox is it is directly compatible with the Equinox rod size and therefore the pod/handle swaps over with no fuss. The Golden Mask requires the adapter and its own armrest due to the larger rod diameter. The Telenox starts with the smaller rod and so the last section is thinner than with the Golden Mask, which starts with a larger diameter rod (a need for adapter) but then ends with a larger diameter rod section also.
      There was a final Golden Mask kit you could buy that had everything you need, but now it seems to be no longer available.
      So what did I do a while back? I know much better than to ever leave my detector leaning on the rear end of my truck. But I did it anyway and backed over the detector. Right over the pod. Crushed the handle completely! A testament to the Equinox is after I pried the pod out of the ground it still worked. I had to clamp and glue the lower part of the face back to the housing later but it is still working fine. But the rod was a total loss. All I scavenged was the adapter parts and the armrest.
      With no more Golden Mast complete assembly available, after lots of Googling I found what looked like a possible replacement rod and took a gamble and ordered it. If nothing else I figured I would end up with a new walking stick. $46 delivered from Amazon.

I got lucky - seems to be the same rod, except if anything of higher quality. I peeled off the foam hand grip and removed the last rod section, which is too small and makes it too long anyway. I am lucky in that I have a lot of Equinox lower rods sitting around, because I had to cut and grind the part needed to bolt this rod to a coil from a spare lower rod. That could be a tad expensive otherwise. I glued it into the lower rod opening, drilled the new armrest holes and bolted it on, and used the adapter to add the Equinox pod/handle. Finished item is probably a little nicer than what I ran over, same exact length, etc. That worked out quite well and at $46 a lot cheaper than if I had been able to find a new Golden mask assembly. But like I said, I had all the other parts required. If you get this rod, the Equinox handle and armrest will not adapter directly to it without additional adapters.
      Bonus is I have a nice case for the rod when not in use, and an adapter sticking out of the end that I am going to use to create a removable coil counterweight. Not needed at all for the 6" coil, but nice for the larger coils.

Custom carbon fiber telescoping rod for Minelab Equinox

Custom carbon fiber telescoping rod for Minelab Equinox
    • By Dan(NM)
      I decided to see if I could balance out the Nox without too much time or $ involved. So far I'm at $7 and we'll see if this will even pan out. First, I moved my control box forward 11/2"  moved my armrest forward as far as possible and added some ballast at the very back. I used 9   3/4" washers, with a piece of 3/4 round stock in the center as a bushing. I ran a 1/4" hole thru the bushing and mounted it in the last armrest hole. I'll see if the extra weight is worth trying to balance the machine just a little bit more tomorrow when I take it for spin.