Equinox Complete Carbon-fiber Shaft Prototype Is Complete (more Pics Added -- Prototype #2)!

steveg

dew -- 

Absolutely.  As you well know, putting, say, 10 oz. of weight at the butt end (let's say 12" from the "fulcrum" -- i.e. the handle, in our case) is different from putting 10 oz. of weight 6" BEYOND the butt end (18" from the "fulcrum.")  Another way to say it is, if 12" from the "fulcrum," you need 10 oz. to balance the machine,  you might only need 6 oz., if you move that weight farther out -- to a distance 18" from the "fulcrum." 

Anyway, yes -- a longer lower shaft (moving the weight -- the coil -- farther from the fulcrum) changes things weight-wise/balance-wise, and in the exact same way, moving any counter-weight farther away from the butt end of the shaft (farther from the fulcrum) ALSO changes things, weight-wise, in the very same way.  

And, finally, you sort of "subtly" introduced another variable, there at the end -- and that is, IN the water balance is totally different from OUT of the water balance, assuming you have part of the machine (the coil end) IN the water, and the rest OUT of the water...  ?

Steve

Wow, it is going to be harder than I anticipated to decide which supplier to choose!  I received the parts for the second prototype today, and WOW!  Another very high-quality, extremely strong/secure cam lock, and very nice tubes...I am EXTREMELY pleased, and encouraged.

These are going to be really nice shafts...

Time for some side-by-side testing and evaluation, of the two prototypes!

Steve

camlocktop-50.jpg  

camlockopen-50.jpg

camlockright-50.jpg

camlockleft-50.jpg

freak --  

From limited feedback so far, this seems to be the consensus!  

I spoke at length with both suppliers today, asking them various questions, about their ability to provide me the necessary drilled holes in the tubes, if they can handle custom requests, and on and on and on.  Both companies seem VERY similar, based on what they can do for me.  As such, I am having a hard time making a clear choice, and I think one thing that suggests that I COULD do, is I might consider figuring out a way to use BOTH suppliers.  It's always good to have two sources, and maybe there's no need to "burn a bridge" by telling one of the suppliers that I "picked the other company."  Maybe utilizing both of them, is the best of both worlds?  Not sure, just thinking out loud.

So let me ask you a question, along those lines, totally hypothetical.  Based on your comments above, let's say I had built you a shaft, and built it using the SECOND cam lock.  Do you prefer the first one enough that you'd be DISAPPOINTED to have received a shaft built with the second one, or is it a little bit of a "six of one, half dozen of the other?"

Just trying to gauge customer reactions here, as I work through this decision...

Thanks!

Steve

For those interested...

A few of the differences between the two cam locks...

Steve

camspecs(smallrot).jpg

• Like 2

Terry --

Consider it done, thank you very much!

Nakky --

I need to check and see specifically if that's correct, or if it's just the angle that they two clamps were sitting at, when I took the picture, that makes it LOOK that way.  THANKS for the observations!

NCToad --

The one on the right DOES have a bit more "surface area" that would clamp on the lower rod.  Surprisingly, I haven't noticed any difference in clamping strength in testing, yet.  I am truly AMAZED at just how tight these things will lock onto the carbon-fiber tubes.  The tubes will not BUDGE.  THANKS for your feedback!

Steve