• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By 1515Art
      We had a friend come by the studio with some opal samples she brought back from a friend of hers who has an opal mine in Australia. The pieces she brought this time over to the studio were small samples of Boulder opal. The mine is a 3 day drive from Melbourne and over 200k of that drive is off road into the bush a very difficult and somewhat risky drive she says requiring careful preperation and notice to the locals to come looking for you if you fail to come back out is also a good idea.
      This is a chunk of the local boulder opal,

The next question on my mind was is there any gold????? I’m thinking Australia, minerals and gee I wonder and if so, is the owner finding any gold? She didn’t know and sent him a message asking because a friend was interested to know, he’s going to be visiting the US later this month and I invited them both back for a visit when he is here if they have time I’d love to learn more about his adventures. Anyway, my friend sent over some plctures I think might be of interest, seems there is a few nuggets to be found here and there along with the other goodies in the ground.

• By AussieDigs
      Hi Guys n Gals.
      I’ve never ran a detector but very much looking forward to it. I live in the Nth East of Victoria Australia with access to what was some of the richest gold fields. I have no idea as to what the ground is like but it would be a fair guess that it would be at least reasonably mineralised.
      I know i will be a beginner but i dont want to spend my limited budget on a beginners detector. I’m willing to do the hard yards with the likes of an intermediate detector. The areas that i would be concentrating on is Beechworth and the Buckland Valley etc, so the ground will have plenty of iron and the likes and mineralised. I will be working mostly around the mines on hillsides etc. 
      I noticed a used Nokta Fors Core for sale so did a little research. Nice detector. VLF struggling in the mineralised ground or does the Nokta fair not too badly? A good used GP3000 is going to be twice the price and above my budget but i could work on that. Lack of descrimination would probably be an issue at these workings? Whites SPP? I’m finding it hard to get too much info on these but from what i have read they seem like a good detector.
      Because of the likes of the trash and mineralised ground, i’m finding it difficult to choose between the VLF and a PI. I could start with the likes of the Nokta and purchase the likes of the GP or SPP further down the road.
      Does the SPP come under another name or as an updated model?
      Thanks all.
      Al.
    • By Rivers rat
      Hello to all i managed to find a bit of time to share my experience and trip in the Goldfields.So here we go:

I managed to escape Melbourne for 3 days as wife was working there and i was doing the driving.Was hot very hot and i understand now why there is time to prospect and time to stay in an air cooled house.
      Anyway as a result of a post on the forum i contacted Goldrat (aka Peter) and after some very good chat and instruction we met in Maryborough .The drive from Melbourne for me was epic as :
      1)i loved the scenery
      2) i get lost very easily (But thanks to Peter instruction and a capricious phone i reached my destination without problem).

So we head up to Talbot for bnb and to pick up a SDC2300 complimentary of my landlord Neil.We then headed to our first spot ,and while Peter was narrating the tales of mountain of gold retrieve from the area i was taking as many pics as possible as this was completely new to me

Peter found the first bit of gold using his faithfull Equinox with the 6".......for the setting ask him .

My bnb road

SPOT 1 

Wasn't me!!!!!!!!

Scoooooore Peter first gold ,he gave it to me lost it in my suitcase.......

• By geof_junk
      The Poseidon Nugget’ was unearthed in the Parish of Waanyarra. The huge nugget weighed 953 oz gross and 703 oz net. Woodall and party found the nugget 10
      inches underground, 2 inches above bedrock with much quartz. This find began the last of the big rushes to the area.[1906] On private land. This [Poseidon] was the last great alluvial rush in Victoria.
      3000 were camped here in 1906 with store established catering for all the miners’ needs. One storekeeper was charged and fined for selling sly grog. The reef above and opposite the gully had been rushed in 1859, but this side neglected. It was nearly fifty years before John Porter testing the ground with a hand auger, found wash and sank a shaft onto nuggets.
      From its size, more large nuggets have come from this lead than any other in the world. 703 oz, 675 oz, thirteen others over 100 oz, nineteen from 50-99 oz, fifty two from 20-49 oz and two hundred and eight from 1-19 oz. ... the Premier awarded [James Porter] £500 for the discovery. He was the last man to receive a reward for the discovery of a new goldfield in Victoria.
    • By mn90403
      A couple of days ago I pulled the trigger on a solo trip to Australia, Melbourne and Victoria to be exact.  I have the Visa.  I have a Miner's Right.  I'll be there from Thursday morning 8:30AM the 9th of May thru Thursday morning the 30th of May which will make for 20 days of detecting.  It says the highs will be in the high 60s and lows in the 50s.  The sun will rise about 7:30 and set about 5.  There seems to be a fair amount of rain for the month.
      I've been reading Fred's books.  He has one of Doug Stone's which is the Gold Atlas of Victoria.  There are also many online resources and several of you here have some great suggestions for me.  My itinerary is open for some nugget prospecting days and a couple of beach days.
      My tentative plan would be to get off the plane, rent a vehicle and head to Bendigo area for a motel and then be ready for a hunt the next day.  I might even be up for a hunt the day I arrive ... possibly at a beach.
      I'm sure I'll be meeting up with some of the forum members when I'm there so let's just see what happens.
      Mitchel
    • By vanursepaul
      New story thread....
      Leaving for OZ around May 4th this year--
      Can't reveal the details because it is super secret this year....
      But hope to be upload some better video this year---
      I have been searching for the simplest way to use a camera while in the field...
      I haven't found any yet that are that simple, most ways i have tried become so time consuming that they interfere with my fun and relaxation!!!
      ANd my TAsk mAster dont like it when i am ... "fkn around!" If he sees too many videos or pictures he will scold me...
      Maybe a selfie, "follow me" cheapie drone----- I could hang a piece of bait meat on it for the flies while it is hovering near me,,,LOLOL
      This is Jan 20th and I will be traveling to LA  on Feb 3rd ..for my last 3 months of "work"
      Carry on !