Australia 2019

mn90403

On 12/10/2018 at 12:52 AM, vanursepaul said:

I learned a trick from a WA prospector this year that keeps the flies out of my face and ears---

He said, "You just do a little poo in your pants and they won't come around your head!"

Are they biting flies? Or just irritating?

The bit about the flies is not as crude as expressed by Paul. The saying goes; "to keep the flies out of your face, tear the arse (ass) out of your pants". But seriously, the flies can be unbearable and drive a person to distraction. A fly net is the only way to preserve your sanity, as sprays and creams don't last very long, and the little buggers often ignore it. You will get tired carrying them around as thousands will hitch a ride on your back.

If you happen to be in cattle country the flies will be swarming all over cow droppings, and then visit you, where they will have a little rest and wipe their feet. The result is that by the end of the day you end up smelling like one big cow turd.

• Like 4

I just wipe a little brown stuff on my back and that is where they go.  Keeps most of them out of my face.  But yes I agree a head net is a must in some areas at times. 

Certainly get some time on your detector before you go and have really good non metal walking boots.

DSCN1738.JPG

• Haha 1

The biggest problem with the flies is that they gang together and lift your eyelids and start drinking the moisture from your eyes. They also see how many of their mates can join them in your mouth. If you want revenge you can use a electric zapper racket and feed them to the ants, if you can tolerate all the smoke from their fried bodies and wings.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The biggest problem with the flies is that they gang together and lift your eyelids and start drinking the moisture from your eyes. They also see how many of their mates can join them in your mouth. If you want revenge you can use a electric zapper racket and feed them to the ants, if you can tolerate all the smoke from their fried bodies and wings.    

This fly was on my jacket sleeve one morning when I came out of tent.  Not sure exactly what it is, but geeze it sure is big and looks like it could suck some blood.  Any Aussies know its name?

DSCN1598.JPG

• Haha 3