Australia 2019

mn90403

A trip to a different country chasing gold would be a great experience. Depending on how long you had to spend on the ground I would say the best value you could have is to not worry about gold tours and simply spending the money saved on vehicle hire and either tent it or stay in a cabin at a caravan park. Or maybe hire a camper. I have many a trip to the outback and its great but thats spending months out there. If I had a shorter time Victoria would be the place as you have many choices of Goldfeilds and more to see in terms of old timer workings. 

Outwest it is just vast spaces with not much to see in terms of old timers. Victoria has prolific workings and you can simply drive into town for a meal. Easier and cheaper and more to see and do imo. More junk though but just as much potential for gold. At least you know yr in the gold zone as the workings and surfacing is all around. You will know it hasn't all been worked due to the lead targets you find. Out West the gold is spread out much more and the learning curve is much steeper. 

How long do you plan on going for? 

• Like 5

OzGoldAu,

Some people have different trips in mind.  They HAVE to go to WA.  It is not a requirement for me.

I like your trip idea.  My trip would be in the 3 week range.  I can rough it for 3-4 days and put in some long hours but then I need an internet connection!  That had been my plan but now I have to do a plan.  Life happens in a good way with lots of choices.

How many Yanks actually make it over there in a typical year looking for gold?

Can you find anything in WA with a week or two?

Mitchel

Mitchel;

there are no guarantees no matter where you go. Two weeks is not nearly enough time for WA...if you are lucky you could find some nice gold. If you are not then...that's the way it goes.

Ozgoldau is correct about the junk and the scenic tours and the potential. If you only have a few weeks the Golden Triangle is the place to be. Things are different away from the main cities so do your research...otherwise you may not be able to buy essentials...

maybe he would guide you around-local help is the way to go!

fred

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

OzGoldAu,

Some people have different trips in mind.  They HAVE to go to WA.  It is not a requirement for me.

I like your trip idea.  My trip would be in the 3 week range.  I can rough it for 3-4 days and put in some long hours but then I need an internet connection!  That had been my plan but now I have to do a plan.  Life happens in a good way with lots of choices.

How many Yanks actually make it over there in a typical year looking for gold?

Can you find anything in WA with a week or two?

Mitchel

It took me two months to get a reading on WA--mainly because it is mostly elluvial-- i would always go to the lowest areas --= deep dirt--- Not necessarily the best place to be in WA--

I probably wouldnt have found anything had i not been properly chastised by a local...lol

Local help is usually always better than blundering around on your own. Just take some of it with a grain of salt-- and if you happen to go to WA i can tell you ONE bloke to avoid like the plague---he's crazy. :biggrin:

I would love to hear your experiences from a trip over east--- then we could compare notes.

• Like 2