Australia 2019

mn90403

Much caution is required when chasing that heavy stuff, our first trip top WA, we stopped at Norseman at a rest area that had showers and a tourist advisory centre. There we were given a glossy "official" pamphlet of a xter in Kalgoorlie who for a fee would take you to his leases and let you fossick there for however long you were prepared to pay for. We set up camp there at one of his "leases" after 3 days of successful prospecting the actual lease holder turned up. Fortunately for us he was a reasonable xter, and listened to our position and even let us take the gold we`d found. Although he asked us to move on he gave us some good local advice, "go with a reputable Tour operator and learn the ropes". We took his advice and enjoyed 2 years of trouble free prospecting in WA.

I can only suggest the same to anyone plus you need a lot more then 2 weeks, take Pauls 2 month advice there, remember he was given the good oil, "chastised" and acted on it.

Victoria is a good first option, you have the advantage there of local State Forests Maps on gold where you can prospect but remember you are following in the footsteps of thousands, be prepared to enjoy your visit and accept any gold you find as a bonus. This forum has  OZ members that are prepared to help you, take them up on their offers, they are the real gold.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Northeast said:

I'm sure that a few of us Victorians can spend a day or two each with you Mitchell if you end up coming our way  ?

They're ya go mitchell..... buy the tickets !

You'll never regret it... only when you figure out you should have stayed longer?

• Like 3

Yes, yes ... they are making it simple on me!  Thanks again.  I hope some others reading this see the potential.

Now, can I go without seeing Curtis for 3 weeks?  haha

Mitchel

20 hours ago, mn90403 said:

OzGoldAu,

Some people have different trips in mind.  They HAVE to go to WA.  It is not a requirement for me.

I like your trip idea.  My trip would be in the 3 week range.  I can rough it for 3-4 days and put in some long hours but then I need an internet connection!  That had been my plan but now I have to do a plan.  Life happens in a good way with lots of choices.

How many Yanks actually make it over there in a typical year looking for gold?

Can you find anything in WA with a week or two?

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel, 

I can understand why people want to go to WA as it's a beautiful place. I haven't come across many yanks out there but I don't see many people around either. Some people enjoy staying at caravan Parks and driving up to 60 kilometres each way daily to go prospecting. Sometimes they only drive 5-10klm out. Caravan parks are certainly a social experience and a good place to meet fellow prospectors.

I much rather be camped on the gold out bush. It's certainly nice to wake up early, have a coffee and some bacon and eggs and simply grab the detector and go for a wander. 

It's hard to say if you can find gold in what time. SDC's work well in WA for small gold. I'm not one to chase small gold or work dozed areas. Some people love it and find plenty of small nuggets in the well known areas. Of course they sometimes find bigger bits too. 

These areas are vast though and the erosion process more developed than Vic. so the illusion is there that one could come across a nice untouched patch. Although by Vast I really mean HUGH expanses of minerised ground with some potential. Finding these patches are probably the same odds as finding very large Vic gold. So pretty rare. 

Thinking about it some more you can't go wrong with any of the gold fields but if I were coming out from the US maybe I would choose WA as it's more of that wildness experience. If you go and are near Kalgoorlie the superpit has a great lookout. 

Cheers

• Like 3

But remember the people are mean out in there WA---

and there are so many things to derail your hunt--

Like the deadly bung-arrow,

the poisonous Willy Wagtails ,

The Purple Flesh-eating Fauna plant, the Carnivorous Meat ants---

and you have to remember that you cant brush up against ANY vegetation for fear of the toxic sap that will put your heart into arrhythmia before you can smoke that last ciggy.

Yeah mate, ......It's a bloody miracle that I made it out ALIVE......

Merry Christmas ya'll  :biggrin:

Outback Yank

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Oh my! 2

• 1 month later...

Kayak just told me I could get to Melbourne (and back ... haha) for around $550 in May!

Maybe when I see Nurse Paul he'll ...

It's up to me to pull the trigger on this trip or 'no trip' event.

Mitchel

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Kayak just told me I could get to Melbourne (and back ... haha) for around $550 in May!

Maybe when I see Nurse Paul he'll ...

It's up to me to pull the trigger on this trip or 'no trip' event.

Mitchel

If you are going to Melbourne the Golden Triangle is only an hour or so away and stretches west for about 200km. Plenty of spots to choose from.

Give me a yell if you decide to come over and I can show you a few areas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As most of you know I did pull the trigger.  I just wanted to acknowledge this thread for helping me to say yes to Australia and Victoria in May.

Mitchel

• Like 3