Show Us Your Favorite Ring Find From 2018

I found this ring 2 days ago. I have to mention that I live in Germany. I would love to know more about it. It reads a VDI of 22 on the Nox800 but doesn't look like silver.

DSCN2204.JPG

• Like 5

Horst,  Any ring save is a good one.  It does not look to be silver to me either.  I would think if it was gold, there would be more yellow and shine, plus the # would be less on the EQ readout.  It looks like you have cleaned it with something?  Maybe one of the late 1800's copper rings so many of the poorer people would purchase and wear?  Either way it is a start to your collection.

• Like 2

Get an acid test kit, pretty cheap and easy to use. basically scuff the ring across the test stone to leave a mark. Use a part of the ring where it is least noticeable like an edge. 

Next start with the 10k solution put a drop on the mark and see if it disappears, if not then go the the next solution up 12k, 14, 18. The lowest solution that clears the mark is the karat.

Good gold and silver don't typically tarnish and won't have any patina (sign of copper) nor would they bubble as a plated piece does. Gold should be similar on the vdi and maybe a nudge lower than a aluminum square tab.