3 Beach Hunts

mn90403

I've had a chance to go out to the beach 3 times in the last week.  Each time there was something interesting to find or learn.  Each of these hunts was to just about the same beach but each time conditions were a bit different.

The first hunt was to an area of the beach where I found the sword/cross.  There was nothing similar this time but as you can see it was LIVELY!

IMG_9644.thumb.JPG.cedb53ac7b11d029715ceee0f4ad9f1f.JPG

I went in one direction on the beach and found nothing when I turned the opposite way I was surprised to find one of the live 44 Mags.  Nearby was another and then there was a 38 and then a 22 long.  As you can see there is some corrosion on them so they had been in the water and sand for a bit.  All of the live rounds were found withing a 50x50ft area.  Go figure.  This hunt I was using beach 1 and the 11 inch coil.  They were down 6-8 inches.  After I finished gridding that area near it was the ring and chain.  The chain was very crusted/black but has cleaned up nicely and is 13.5 g/.925.  The ring is cheap.

A few days later I went back to the same area with the 15x12 to see if I could find more of the ammo.  Nothing was to be found so I headed in the opposite direction to the south.  The beach was without targets.  I was near the waves at low tide and nothing for a couple hundred yards and then a quarter.

IMG_9639.thumb.JPG.a1d63120efbcb91702494359e994186c.JPG

As it turned out it was mostly quarters but there was something unusual about this patch.  I would get the quarter sound as a high pitch but then it would go higher.  This was in the 5 tone setting.  (I've tried some two tone and 5 lately because I constantly have to keep blowing my nose to make my ear pressure normal for better hearing.)  I discovered that the higher tone was because some of the coins had fused together.  You can see that in these photos:

IMG_9635.thumb.JPG.2649842405c3e9bda7f4e83f3642f6bd.JPG

The final hunt was tonight.  I went back to the fused quarter location and found a couple of quarters at the low tide but moved on down the beach.  It was a lot of trash which you can see in the black container.  I was walking at a brisk pace but wasn't finding much but I was at the bottom of the hill as I say.  At the end of 2 miles to the south I had to return to my car but I was not satisfied with how the machine sounded.  I had been using a lot of Beach 2 at 6 speed.  I switched back to Beach 1 and lowered the speed to 4.  I walked about half way between the water and the top of the sand.  The sounds were louder but I still needed to get back.  I was going to write about it and say it was just a trashy day.  Then I slowed down and heard an interesting target.  I dug and dug and down about 15 inches in the damp sand on the side of the beach hill I got a quarter.  This must be the deepest quarter I've found, ever!  The slower speed with the 15 had made a difference and it changed the entire hunt.  I continued on this same line and found the two cheap rings (the corroded ring I had found on my way out) and the imitation nugget bracelet.

IMG_9646.thumb.JPG.3bf2fa7f7123fc2fcb9f23c28c08d6ce.JPG

The slower setting with the large coil seems to be very effective and I keep it that way for a while.

Mitchel

• Like 7

I went out again tonight and found $2.46, a toe ring, ear ring, turquoise bracelet that are silver and a stainless steel ring.

I'm finding the 15 inch coil to be very finicky if you know what I mean.  On the beach is take the right direction of swing for it to ID a target properly.  Sometimes when I'm digging the target the numbers jump and even in the dig out pile the target can be invisible until I spread it with my foot.  Could this be the 'edge' problem transferred to the big coil?  Most of the time now I'm in Beach 1.  Tonight I tried to use Park 1 but it would not settle down on the ground balance at 22.  Maybe it would work lower but I didn't try that.

Mitchel

I had to clean them up!

IMG_9647.JPG

• Like 2