Gold Bug 2 Battery Swap For Extra Life

Does anyone have experience with switching the batteries for prolonged performance? I thought I read somewhere that in the GB2 the main board runs on one battery and the audio circuitry may be running on the other? 

Thanks, Mike

fisher-gold-bug-2-nugget-detector.jpg.2a

Yes, one battery basically runs the detector completely. The other boosts the power to the audio circuit. The one that runs the detector and audio normally goes dead first. The other will have remaining power, and swapping them will get you more detecting time. Not as good as replacing batteries but will save you in a pinch.

To discover which battery is the “master battery” try running the detector with only one battery and see which compartment will run the detector by itself. You may need a near dead battery in the other compartment to complete the circuit? Not sure about that part but it does seem I once lost a battery and still ran the detector on the other one.

• Like 4

Thanks guys!  Great suggestions. 

I am intending to try the Lithium Batteries this next season and chart the voltages on each battery from brand new in each port;  I hadn't been doing that yet this past season.  For now I'm using the non-rechargeable Li because a friend in the electronics industry pointed out to me that the rechargeable types run a typical max voltage just under the 9.0volts  (more like 7.7 to 8.6V).  New voltages on the non-rechargeable ones I have purchased thus far ranges 9.24V to 9.49V