Equinox And Acc. Charging During Winter Months

Propjob

Well the Northeast has for the most part been blistering cold.  Pretty much made me decide to follow new pursuits during the winter, as well as hanging up the NOX.  Didn't give much thought until now about keeping battery for the Nox, headset and adaptor. Was kind of thinking every two or three months until spring.  Do you people (gender Neutral) have any different thoughts on this?  

PROP

There is a "winterizing your Equinox" topic on here somewhere. I think you are about right though with the 2 to 3 month time frame.

Jeff

Equinox Owner’s Manual page 8:

”Battery Maintenance - Lithium-ion battery performance may degrade if unused for long periods of time. Fully charge the battery at least once every 3–4 months to prevent this from occurring.”

Probably applies to most any rechargeable batteries. Remove alkaline batteries from those items that use them to prevent damage from leaking batteries.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would like to assume [ that can be an issue - because the acronym says so 😉 , that all consumer grade batteries - batteries are made up of cells - which are some number of cells to make a battery , again most consumer grade .

An example of common single cell lithium that come with BMS chips , 18650 cells have a BMS chip under the positive connector .

Where as non consumer cells come without mostly - one BMS per battery , instead of one for every cell - cost cutting vs. battery - multiple cells building companies is normally added when they build a battery of cells . 

Every lithium chemistry should have a BMS Battery Management System , this depending on manufacture should have AT LEAST low voltage , high voltage , overcharge cut-out .

And the better manufactures would have temp high/low cutouts also .

During the winter I charge mine before each detecting trip. I'll be charging mine today for tomorrows trip and again tomorrow night for Saturday's. I love Arizona winters. 😀

On 1/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, Tom Slick said:

OK, I don't hunt a lot in the summer heat but at least I don't have to shovel it. 😁

Goldilocks 😉