Franconia Hunt

Lunk

Nice finds!  How accessible are the fields you hunt there?  Would a car do it, or is something more rugged needed?  I have been thinking about trying some flat places down south (I am in N.Cal.) for meteorites in the winter (when it isn't too hot!).

• Thanks 1

Lunk, you are one hell of a he-man to swing that 19 inch coil while hunting in Franconia. The ground coverage is excellent but the strain is much greater. I am curious how you mount the 19 and gpz...harness, hip-stick, swing-arm???

Very nice irons, much larger than most, I think! The stones are cool too...

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Dubious said:

Nice finds!  How accessible are the fields you hunt there?  Would a car do it, or is something more rugged needed?  I have been thinking about trying some flat places down south (I am in N.Cal.) for meteorites in the winter (when it isn't too hot!).

Thanks Dubious. The southern half of the strewn field south of Interstate I-40 is accessible by car. The large majority of the northern half is included within the Warm Springs Wilderness, where vehicles and other mechanized equipment are prohibited.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Lunk, you are one hell of a he-man to swing that 19 inch coil while hunting in Franconia. The ground coverage is excellent but the strain is much greater. I am curious how you mount the 19 and gpz...harness, hip-stick, swing-arm???

Very nice irons and stones...

fred

Thanks Fred,

Being only 5’4” tall and a scrawny 130 lbs, I’m certainly no he-man. But the GPZ stock harness and bungee adjusted correctly  fits me well, and I can swing that massive coil all day without fatigue. I never use the swing-arm either. However, if I get crazy and swing too fast, the inertia can about knock me down!?

As a side note, I once ran into a guy at Rye Patch that could swing the GPZ all day unaided by a harness, hipstick or bungee, and he WAS a he-man. I don’t recall his name, but I may as well call him Arnold...with a German accent...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Lunk...I thought you were taller than 5-4...we met at an Outing at Rich Hill many years ago...when Chris and JP were filming, you had a rock that we all thought was a meteorite....

I have seen guys using the GPZ without aids...they are way tougher than me!

Wishing you continued "good luck" in your hunts

fred

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, fredmason said:

I thought you were taller than 5-4...we met at an Outing at Rich Hill many years ago...

Fred, I must have been standing on one of those granite boulders out there...??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2018 at 1:28 PM, Lunk said:

Thanks Dubious. The southern half of the strewn field south of Interstate I-40 is accessible by car. The large majority of the northern half is included within the Warm Springs Wilderness, where vehicles and other mechanized equipment are prohibited.

Can you still use a metal detector in the Warm Springs Wilderness?

Dubious, I see nothing on the BLMs website of the Warm Springs Wilderness that prohibits the use of metal detectors there.

• Like 2