Franconia Hunt

Lunk

Hi Lunk

I made it to the south side of Franconia in March. I had never hunted for meteorites before so I dug everything. Using the GPZ 7000 resulted in a lot of deep and shallow junk.

Evidently it was a WW II training area resulting in a lot of 50 Caliber bullets. There are a lot of small pieces of screen wire everywhere. The wire is on or near the surface so the magnet in the handle of my pick came in handy to quickly pick it up. 

I didn’t find any meteorites but I will try again in the future.

Have a good day,
Chet

Franconia area.JPG

• Like 5

Chet, you have made an amazing effort. That is an impressive haul of finds. My hat is off to you.

Franconia has become a stingy mistress only rarely giving up a few nice specimens like Lunk  recently found. The south side I have read tends to have fewer larger meteorites. I will give it a two day try after Christmas on the north side. I have had minor success twice but on my last two trips I have been skunked. I get renewed energy from Lunk.

As for technique, along with my GPZ I now use my metreorite stick (a hiking pole with a magnet taped to it) as my companion machine. 

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting!

• Like 5

That's a lot of targets Chet, you certainly get an "A" for effort! Like Randy said, the south side of the freeway is a tough hunt with far fewer meteorites, but I'm sure there's a big one out there with your name on it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lunk, Having the ability to find a meteorite in that area with any VLF gold detector is pretty amazing in itself.  Glad you were able to break the 24K cherry on space debris.  Using the 7000 with 19" coils allowed you to make up ground coverage lost when using the small coil on 24K.  It is most important that folks realize that not 1 machine is best for everything and that is why some of the best hunters (such as yourself) have more than one gold detector.  Nice photos, story and thanks for sharing something a little different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...