What Happens With The Tesoro Lifetime Warranty?

If Tesoro does close their doors, which appears to be the case, what happens to your "Lifetime Warranty"?

Warranties are only as good as the company behind them. In theory if a company goes away, so does the warranty. However, warranties are a financial obligation that can't be tossed on a whim. For Tesoro to completely ditch all their warranty obligations I believe they have to go bankrupt and prove they do not have the financial resources to back the warranties any longer. Otherwise a company can just close their doors and walk with money in the bank that would have funded future warranty work.

I am no legal expert in this stuff, but I do think there is hope on the warranty front still. Tesoro may be looking for a buyer or some other avenue under which warranties will continue to be honored. Until and unless a full bankruptcy occurs there is hope.

On the flip side anyone buying a Tesoro right now and assuming they have a lifetime warranty better think twice. I do wonder about the liability of the dealers who still have these in stock and are still selling them and advertising them as having a "Lifetime Warranty". This is an area that dealers would be wise to resolve with Tesoro immediately.

From http://www.tesoro.com/service/warranty.html

"Our lifetime warranty covers defects in material and workmanship for as long as it is owned by the original purchaser. The warranty excludes batteries, damage caused by leaky batteries, cable breakage due to flexing, wear of the searchcoil housing, and leakage caused by the condition of water seals on underwater detectors. Also excluded are instruments which have been abused, altered, or repaired by an unauthorized party."

• Like 2

Not sure how it will all work out.  Seems like in the states you would have to get a group together to start a class action suit or something similar. 

At this point I’m not really worried. Never had an issue with my Compadres or Mojave.  In fact the Compadres would be void of warranty due to one being water proofed and the other having a coil connector installed and the multi disc mod done.  Only machine I ever sent in was my used GSII to get checked out and make sure the notch width wasn’t monkeyed with.  Used to be a very pleasant conversation talking with Rusty though.   Seemed lime he may have lnown something like this was coming along though as the last time I talked with him before he retired he didn’t seem quite as upbeat as usual.  

Anyway, I doubt I’ll be in the market for a new machine from them. The Tesoros I have take care of exactly what I need them too. Primarily totlot, park, and sports fields for jewelry.  The Mojave is my suitcase travel detector.  At this point I just wish they would make some kind of announcement.   Seems to me the silence is going to do more damage in the long run. The longer it goes on the more the negative reports pile up making it a far less attractive investment for anyone who may be interested in carrying on Jacks legacy. 

Noah

• Like 1

Not sure how that would work. I always assumed if you go bankrupt, that's was the end of it, and bankruptcy laws protected your personal assets. So maybe they could sue the company but only recoup what the company owns?? Hopefully someone will do side work on repairs and maybe buy out the rest of the machines and spare parts. It's very sad to see a company go out of business with such a loyal following if that is what is going to happen.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 7:47 PM, Noah (FL) said:

Not sure how it will all work out.  Seems like in the states you would have to get a group together to start a class action suit or something similar. 

At this point I’m not really worried. Never had an issue with my Compadres or Mojave.  In fact the Compadres would be void of warranty due to one being water proofed and the other having a coil connector installed and the multi disc mod done.  Only machine I ever sent in was my used GSII to get checked out and make sure the notch width wasn’t monkeyed with.  Used to be a very pleasant conversation talking with Rusty though.   Seemed lime he may have lnown something like this was coming along though as the last time I talked with him before he retired he didn’t seem quite as upbeat as usual.  

Anyway, I doubt I’ll be in the market for a new machine from them. The Tesoros I have take care of exactly what I need them too. Primarily totlot, park, and sports fields for jewelry.  The Mojave is my suitcase travel detector.  At this point I just wish they would make some kind of announcement.   Seems to me the silence is going to do more damage in the long run. The longer it goes on the more the negative reports pile up making it a far less attractive investment for anyone who may be interested in carrying on Jacks legacy. 

Noah

i agree! i have a "mojave" and it is a little jewel!..i use it as my "travel" instrument too! have a compact rig consisting of a "wilcox50s" digger,
a "jimmy sierra coin popper",a  "garrett carrot",and a brass probe carried by a small tesoro pouch. can "slap" this rig on at a moments notice when i spy a nice "curb strip",or totter.i mainly hunt "old" strips and totters for coins and jewelry. tesoros are built very well,and are rugged,so i don't anticipate anything going wrong,but still nice to know the warranty is still valid.latest i heard,is that there phones are "operational" again,and they are repairing detectors,so still around! they make great detectors that are a ton of fun to use!

(h.h.!)

j.t.