Show Us That Unique Find Of 2018, Here Is Mine.

Hi Gerry… your boy grasping the pig is a great find, especially finished in brass. We even keep iron relics from prospecting country for future reference or use. Your recovery will make a fantastic mantelpiece and be quite a conversation piece over the years. WTG!!! :cool:

I have not made any oddball finds in a few years, but depicted below is the last really different or unusual find that surfaced in the old Lion’s Club Park adjacent to an Anglican Church where we were married many years ago. It’s the only brooch I’ve ever found in thirty-two plus years of metal detecting.

The soil was essentially a clay loam that became enriched with spruce and broadleaf detritus for well over a century such that it has evolved into quite a dark fertile substrate. I mention this factor because the silver brooch was at least six-to-seven inches deep, a fair indication that it has likely been in the ground for some sixty-to-seventy years and perhaps even more. 

It is infinitely exciting to dig down into the dark depths to find untarnished silver gleaming back at you. In fact there was no evidence of sulfide reduction on this piece, hence it was scrubbed with a toothbrush under warm tapwater and towel dried to what you see below. There are no markings on it, the target ID is in the lower silver quarter range, and looks to be about sterling quality. The stone may very well be colored glass, but then too it could be aquamarine. For obvious reasons I don't want to do a hardness test on it. Apparently aquamarine with silver is fairly common according to my wife. I don’t see aquamarine in our mineral collecting areas and really can't identify it with any confidence without utilizing a spectroscope. In this case it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Many thanks for another interesting thread. It prompts us to actually think about our various recoveries and what we do with them after the hunt. My coin and jewelry finds normally get tossed into a container stored in the basement, never to be seen again unless my daughters or wife wish to have them. It’s the search with that magical metal detector that I so enjoy…………….Jim. 

970286679_5.6GRAMTURTLEBROOCHSFYG17.JPG.fcbf42884fc1f83f396a634c31392f93.JPG

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Alluminati said:

If there are any broken attachment points at the bottom, it could be a candle holder. That's the first thing that comes to mind anyway.

I was thinking the same thing. There was a metal rod that extended up...they used to call them "Hog Scrapers" which would make perfect sense....Nice Find Gerry! that would look great in any ones collection 

strick 

• Like 1

Jim,  You certainly have a cutie there.  Not sure if it is the lighting from the photo, but almost seems gold or gold plated.  Certainly looks to be aquamarine and the time vs depth even adds more % of it.  Looking back at the years of detecting and digs, I get some of the most "oh my" from the ladies when they see some of the smaller ornate pieces.  I actually recovered a little gold turtle brooch about the size of a US 1 cent.  I'll try to find it and get a a couple photos.    Mine is more modern as your certainly takes the cake.  Yes I enjoy sharing finds with others, especially in the winter when I can't get out any more.  Seeing others treasures is like walking into a Fishing Store and going to the photos board to see all the trophies others have caught.  Thanks for contributing such a fine piece.

• Thanks 1