Epic Seated Dime Cache Dug

On 12/13/2018 at 7:10 AM, strick said:

Thats really cool. Merry Christmas BTW :smile:  Looks to me like they made them into buttons of sorts.  Congrats on an epic hunt. 

strick

Thanks strick, and Merry Christmas to you and yours too!!

On 12/14/2018 at 12:00 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

That is a pretty amazing find - congratulations!

Were they in a container, or all in one hole, or just scattered about?

Steve you'll just have to watch the video to find out :rolleyes:

There was one main area of about a 12 foot diameter that the bulk of them came from, and interestingly once you got down around 7-8" it was scorched earth and that's where the coins where.  A few pieces of jewelry came from the same scorched earth and some buttons (old 4-hole buttons).   About 4-5 of the coins where further away, maybe 10-15 feet away scattered in various directions. 

Interestingly (Steve perhaps you can comment on this), we have had a multitude of detectors on this same patch of earth - Explorer2, Tesoro Silver Sabre, F75, Racers, Multi Kruzer, etc., and none of them even detected a single coin.  I could see if they missed most of them, some of them, but to not even detect one out of twelve is a complete mystery.  I suspect that the scorched earth caused the detectors to see everything as iron, and we skipped them.  If I had more time, I should've went back to my vehicle and grabbed my Kruzer to see how the ground sounded, but it's been over that patch of ground on two different trips now and didn't get any of the targets you'll see in the video that the Equinox was able to get, some deep, some not so deep.  So the Equinox is doing something completely different then anything else we've had there.

• Like 5

Burn areas of any sort trouble a metal detector. Heating rocks or dirt actually realigns the magnetic particles and can change the nature of the material. From this post:

Maghemite (gamma ferric oxide) is an earthy iron oxide mineral found in most soils and some rocks. Red iron rust is a form of maghemite with which everyone is familiar. Maghemite is formed by the oxidation of lower oxidation state iron minerals such as magnetite, free iron and pyroxene. The oxidation commonly happens through weathering and exposure to fire. Maghemite is usually reddish brown or red in color, and even in low concentrations its color tends to dominate the material it’s in. Like magnetite, maghemite has high susceptibility. It differs from magnetite in having a substantial loss angle, causing it to ground balance in the range of 40 to 80% of full scale on most metal detectors and under most conditions.

Why Equinox Is Special

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Burn areas of any sort trouble a metal detector. Heating rocks or dirt actually realigns the magnetic particles and can change the nature of the material. From this post:

Maghemite (gamma ferric oxide) is an earthy iron oxide mineral found in most soils and some rocks. Red iron rust is a form of maghemite with which everyone is familiar. Maghemite is formed by the oxidation of lower oxidation state iron minerals such as magnetite, free iron and pyroxene. The oxidation commonly happens through weathering and exposure to fire. Maghemite is usually reddish brown or red in color, and even in low concentrations its color tends to dominate the material it’s in. Like magnetite, maghemite has high susceptibility. It differs from magnetite in having a substantial loss angle, causing it to ground balance in the range of 40 to 80% of full scale on most metal detectors and under most conditions.

Why Equinox Is Special

Interestingly the soil where that burn spot's located IS red, which I found interesting when digging in that area because no other spot around there has this reddish dirt.  Makes perfect sense now.  

Thanks for posting that Steve.  

• 2 weeks later...

You sure can get a guy all fired up.  Those Seated Buttons are amazing and to catch it on video is even more rare.  Some of the early seated dimes and actually larger in size than the later dated seated dimes.  I think they will read a little different. too.  Hats off to you Cal_Cobra and yes I like that glass trade bead and the cool black glass cuff link.  I feel the exact site of your finds were a seamstress shop.  Yes the Multi IQ technology of the Equinox can penetrate and see objects better than most other machines when in burned areas.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...