Welp, I reckon to sell a sack of nuggets for one of these magic wands. But, I'm cornfused. Does Minelab keep, share, sell, store, trade or do some fantastical wonders with my data?

Can I fliparoo a switch to turn off the GPS?

Can I fliparoo a switch to stop GPS transmissions?

Heck, I just dunno, Maybe one of you do or we can call Scooby Doo! 

Bob,

All your patches will be sent to my 7000 GPS. I don't even know if mine works, I think this machine would be one pound lighter without the GPS...lol. No worries, your GPS cords are safe and sound within your unit on or off.

Rick

Hi Bob,

I will be doing some Treasure Talk blogs on the GPS system. But realize it is not new. It is basically the same thing as used on the CTX 3030 for a couple years, and these questions have long since been put to rest.

The GPS is off by default. If you are worried about it, just leave it off.

If you elect to turn it on, the GPS is transmitting nothing anywhere. It is receiving information from satellites to determine your position and the time.

You can use the tracking but not have the unit save anything. It just all goes blank when you turn the detector off. Or you can have it save tracks and other location and status information on the detector when it is turned off.

It still goes nowhere. unless you decide to save it to a computer. It still goes nowhere, but once on a computer connected to the Internet nothing is 100% secure.

The level of concern on these issues frankly surprised me and so I will be treating it a bit differently in my blogs on the subject. I do not think any amount of reassurance will matter to those inclined to believe their data is at risk. So my goal is not to in any way try and convince anyone they want to ever turn the GPS system on. Just leave it off and forget about it.

However, for those that do want to use it, I am going to do my best to share some information on how to do so. My GPS is in full use every minute my GPZ is in operation. The map and track screen is my hunt screen.

This was also discussed previously and in more detail on this forum at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/752-gpz-and-gps-software/

• Like 1

Thanks fellas! Campfire talk is what it is and concern is what I'm hearing from folks around the fire. I'll contact Minelab too, see if they will answer. Thanks again for taking the time to help.