Not Your Typical Zincoln Find

Running out of days (especially decent weather days) in 2018.  Yesterday I was hunting my favorite park that I've been searching over the past 4 years.  I was basically doing some experimentation with settings and detectors.  Going over a grassy slope in the shade of a large tree I got a very strong, irregular signal which turned out to be a recent spill -- 2013-D Quarter, two 2017-D dimes, 2006-D dime, 2005-D nickel, and (only 'old' coin) 1964-D nickel.  All coins were on the surface of the ground, under the grass blades.  Oh, there was one more coin amongst those -- a shiny penny.  I figured 'typical Zincoln' but put it in my 'coins' pocket (Zincolns usually go in the trash pouch but get sorted later).  It's gotten to the point where I don't even look at the dates on Zincolns since most of the time I can't discern them, they are eaten up so badly.  Just toss them in their own jar.

When I got home and was sorting through the finds (1940 Jeffy being the oldest but nothing to get excited about since they made a gazillion of them), I noticed the shiny penny had an -S mintmark (see photo below).  The 2005 date had me scratching my head since I thought (and later confirmed) that 2005-S coins were only minted for inclusion in proof sets.  Only 3,273,000 made (compare that to over 7.7 billion combined between 2005 plain and 2005-D cents).  Second lowest mintage penny I've ever found, either detecting or searching through bank rolls.

Phrunt was just talking about the "what was that doing there?!" question we often asks ourselves when identifying unusual finds.  Just another one for me.

2005-S_proof_2_cropped.jpg

• Like 8