Tnsharpshooter

My Tarsacci MDT 8000 Commentary, Pics And Videos

On 9/14/2019 at 7:19 AM, Skate said:

While waiting for the Fisher Impulse AQ I have also been looking at the Tarsacci and really enjoyed this thread but it seems to have died. Are folks not talking about it because it's too good? Is it a detector not worthy of the price tag, warranty etc.?

My interest in it is purely the wet sand and the extra depth possibly available for recovering gold rings. I'm trying to figure out if getting one now is better than waiting for an AQ later but there is very little out there from beach hunters on the machine. Any input related to it is appreciated. I know there is a huge thread at Dankowskis but this is my home base for all things detecting.

You have to be realistic and consider that the Tarsacci is a first model from a new company that seems not to advertise. They have almost no dealers. That being the case only a handful of people own them, and of those only a few post.

It seems clear it’s a top tier performer pushing VLF to the limits. That being the case I am sure you would do well with one. The Impulse AQ being a PI may get more depth but it will have you digging more trash also.

I have come to the conclusion for me at least that there are dozens of detectors I can be happy to use and do well with. If I want to make more finds, the real secret for me is more hours of detecting and/or better locations. A new detector and the same hours will not usually produce more finds as simply using the same detector and getting in more hours.

The top tier machines basically all get the job done in the right hands, and I think we give too much credit to our detectors and not the person using it. So I suspect you will do well with what you have, or a Tarsacci, or an Impulse if they ever appear. Sometimes the best thing about getting a new detector is it just motivates us to get out more and try harder than with that other machine we have gotten bored with.

But just to repeat... It seems clear the Tarsacci is a top tier detector pushing VLF performance to the limits.

Tarsacci MDT 8000 Data & Reviews

tarsacci-mdt-8000-beach-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 3

There is indeed a reason we say 10% of the people make 90% of the finds.    Thanks for posting all the info.   Yes Demitar and Tom are listening to the users....  I’ve gotten a few changes to suit my hunting.   Again it’s just a fresh new machine that’s fun to use.   

I actually looked into the MDT but the only thing that deterred me was it wasn't really all that waterproof. Submerged more than 30 min to me sounds more like splash proof. For freshwater I the ATP does work not super deep but can keep it underwater all day with no issues. My Seahunter is good for 200ft and love it for the salt. Yes you definitely dig more trash with a pi, heavily iron riddled beaches can be a pain especially when the sounds are so loud on the tiniest bits of lobster traps, fish hooks and bobby pins. 

If your combing the beaches and not going deep it looks like it will really get the job done. I'd be curious how it does as a relic hunter, know some fields that have really bad mineralization that I can't gb my tejon in that have old coins.

After owning my MDT a year now, the only draw back I have is only the stock  11 x 8” coil is offered. I feel like a second choice of say a 12” round coil would better suit the dry, damp and wash, as well as the relic and coin hunters. The stock coil works well in the water with the exception of the location of the coil wire entering the coil in the rear. I bump my scoop right up against the coil in deep water and the coil wire location makes it a little bit tougher as I worry about nicking the wire. I have learned overtime how to reduce this chance happening though. All I want is a slightly larger 12” round  coil. I can’t think of any other VLF machine that does not give optional coils. For $1500+ I think this should be a option.

If I wanted a bigger coil, it would be to achieve more coverage on each swing.  So I'd want something more like 14" by 10" or so.

Adding just one inch to coverage with a 12" coil wouldn't be enough of a difference to help me much with coverage.

I'm happy with the 11 by 8.5, especially if that's the size that optimizes depth. Bigger coils strain my arm and shoulder.  I would probably want a smaller coil (8 or 9 inch, perhaps) for hunts to relieve the strain sometimes.

Hi Tall Tom. I hear you. It is square inches of coverage I am looking at since we swing in a arch, not horizontally like rail road tracks if I can explain myself. There is 70 sq. In. In the stock coil 11x 8 being gracious. There is 113 sq in. in a 12” coil. That is 43 sq. Inches more coverage plus some added depth due to the width adding 4 inches. I am a salt water hunter and a 12” coil is about the max I care to swing in knee deep wash especially with the Tarsacci shaft. But hey, we all have our thoughts and needs and I too would like a 7” or 8” AFTER I got a 12”. 😁 Wish you luck with all your spins, and as I said before, $1500 + for a detector that only offers one coil is strange to me. But again that’s just me. Tom has tried to explain that there is more to it than meets the eye but surely there is a way.  

You are having as much luck getting your coil as I am getting a 6” x 10” elliptical for the Equinox. Wish in one hand and %#$# in the other, and see which fills up first! 😄

• Like 1

At least the Equinox has optional coils ( plural ) available and it cost half as much as the Tarsacci.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 9:19 PM, Carolina said:

Hi Tall Tom. I hear you. It is square inches of coverage I am looking at since we swing in a arch, not horizontally like rail road tracks if I can explain myself. There is 70 sq. In. In the stock coil 11x 8 being gracious. There is 113 sq in. in a 12” coil. That is 43 sq. Inches more coverage plus some added depth due to the width adding 4 inches. I am a salt water hunter and a 12” coil is about the max I care to swing in knee deep wash especially with the Tarsacci shaft. But hey, we all have our thoughts and needs and I too would like a 7” or 8” AFTER I got a 12”. 😁 Wish you luck with all your spins, and as I said before, $1500 + for a detector that only offers one coil is strange to me. But again that’s just me. Tom has tried to explain that there is more to it than meets the eye but surely there is a way.  

Carolina,

Your math is a little flawed as the coverage of a DD coil is not a function of the total coil footprint area (that metric only determines field strength and density which affects depth and minimum target size sensitivity) but simply length because of the narrow shape of the detection field that is transmitted into the ground down the center spine of a DD coil (think windshield wiper vice mop).  For example,  a 12" round DD coil and 12x8.5" elliptical DD coil have the exact same swing coverage (ignoring spurious coil edge effects) but the 12" round coil will have more depth than the elliptical due to the constant 12" diameter vs. the 8.5" width of the elliptical, but the  elliptical will be lighter due to less coil mass and will have slightly greater sensitivity to smaller targets as the smaller area of the coil concentrates the magnetic field.  HTH

• Like 3

Well, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. The sq. inches may not be exactly the same, ( didn’t think we were going to split hairs here ) but the ratio between the two is still the same. Since they both are DD in design, the 12” inch round offers more square inch coverage than the 11 x 8 stock coil period. A 14 x 10 is much to big for the wash and the 12 would be my limit. So let’s say a 12” is my choice and yours is a 14 x 10. To each his own.