My Tarsacci MDT 8000 Commentary, Pics And Videos

After owning my MDT a year now, the only draw back I have is only the stock  11 x 8” coil is offered. I feel like a second choice of say a 12” round coil would better suit the dry, damp and wash, as well as the relic and coin hunters. The stock coil works well in the water with the exception of the location of the coil wire entering the coil in the rear. I bump my scoop right up against the coil in deep water and the coil wire location makes it a little bit tougher as I worry about nicking the wire. I have learned overtime how to reduce this chance happening though. All I want is a slightly larger 12” round  coil. I can’t think of any other VLF machine that does not give optional coils. For $1500+ I think this should be a option.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder if anything will come of all this? A new detector, basically marketed via one thread on one metal detector forum. Not much interest here obviously despite David trying hard to keep people inf

Frequency domain transmission with time domain processing. VLF/PI hybrid is and always will be a contradiction of terms. VLF = continuous simultaneous transmission and receiving i.e. inducti

Steve i just happened onto this thread while i was looking for the website for someone.   The machine actually does pretty well at TID to depth..... once you LEARN how to digits jump for various targe

Posted Images

If I wanted a bigger coil, it would be to achieve more coverage on each swing.  So I'd want something more like 14" by 10" or so.

Adding just one inch to coverage with a 12" coil wouldn't be enough of a difference to help me much with coverage.

I'm happy with the 11 by 8.5, especially if that's the size that optimizes depth. Bigger coils strain my arm and shoulder.  I would probably want a smaller coil (8 or 9 inch, perhaps) for hunts to relieve the strain sometimes.

Hi Tall Tom. I hear you. It is square inches of coverage I am looking at since we swing in a arch, not horizontally like rail road tracks if I can explain myself. There is 70 sq. In. In the stock coil 11x 8 being gracious. There is 113 sq in. in a 12” coil. That is 43 sq. Inches more coverage plus some added depth due to the width adding 4 inches. I am a salt water hunter and a 12” coil is about the max I care to swing in knee deep wash especially with the Tarsacci shaft. But hey, we all have our thoughts and needs and I too would like a 7” or 8” AFTER I got a 12”. 😁 Wish you luck with all your spins, and as I said before, $1500 + for a detector that only offers one coil is strange to me. But again that’s just me. Tom has tried to explain that there is more to it than meets the eye but surely there is a way.  

At least the Equinox has optional coils ( plural ) available and it cost half as much as the Tarsacci.

• Like 2
On 2/10/2020 at 9:19 PM, Carolina said:

Hi Tall Tom. I hear you. It is square inches of coverage I am looking at since we swing in a arch, not horizontally like rail road tracks if I can explain myself. There is 70 sq. In. In the stock coil 11x 8 being gracious. There is 113 sq in. in a 12” coil. That is 43 sq. Inches more coverage plus some added depth due to the width adding 4 inches. I am a salt water hunter and a 12” coil is about the max I care to swing in knee deep wash especially with the Tarsacci shaft. But hey, we all have our thoughts and needs and I too would like a 7” or 8” AFTER I got a 12”. 😁 Wish you luck with all your spins, and as I said before, $1500 + for a detector that only offers one coil is strange to me. But again that’s just me. Tom has tried to explain that there is more to it than meets the eye but surely there is a way.  

Carolina,

Your math is a little flawed as the coverage of a DD coil is not a function of the total coil footprint area (that metric only determines field strength and density which affects depth and minimum target size sensitivity) but simply length because of the narrow shape of the detection field that is transmitted into the ground down the center spine of a DD coil (think windshield wiper vice mop).  For example,  a 12" round DD coil and 12x8.5" elliptical DD coil have the exact same swing coverage (ignoring spurious coil edge effects) but the 12" round coil will have more depth than the elliptical due to the constant 12" diameter vs. the 8.5" width of the elliptical, but the  elliptical will be lighter due to less coil mass and will have slightly greater sensitivity to smaller targets as the smaller area of the coil concentrates the magnetic field.  HTH

• Like 3

Well, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. The sq. inches may not be exactly the same, ( didn’t think we were going to split hairs here ) but the ratio between the two is still the same. Since they both are DD in design, the 12” inch round offers more square inch coverage than the 11 x 8 stock coil period. A 14 x 10 is much to big for the wash and the 12 would be my limit. So let’s say a 12” is my choice and yours is a 14 x 10. To each his own.

Sorry if I confused you, but I am not splitting hairs at all, the sensitive AREA of a DD coil (vice a concentric) lies directly underneath the narrow center vertical (front to back) strip of the coil where the backs of the two “D” coils (transmit and receive) intersect.  It is like you are sweeping a 12” long by ~1” wide  (12 sq. in. total) sguegee across the ground whether you are swinging a 12” round coil or 12” long elliptical coil of any width, the rest of the coil footprint area does nothing for ground coverage it only affects depth, primarily (the round coil being deeper than the elliptical of identical length).  

For comparison to the MDT stock 11 x 8.5” coil, then you are indeed getting 1 additional inch of swing coverage with a 12” round coil and perhaps an inch or 2 of additional depth.  Swing coverage basically determines your forward stride length and the width of your grids and therefore your ability to cover more ground over the same period of time with overlapping swings.  So with the 12” coil, your forward stride after every overlapping swing cycle can increase by 1 inch max and the overall swing arc area increases by that amount and grid width increases by 2” max. So the primary advantage of the coil you desire is really depth vs. a marginal improvement in coverage vs. the stock coil.  In contrast, a 6” round coil or 6” elliptical coil forces you to tip toe across the site for overlapping coverage as the length in either case is much shorter than your natural stride.  The 14x10 coil Tom mentions would give 3 additional inches of swing coverage forward and 6 additional inches of grid width and might actually be about the same weight as the 12” round coil (but not as deep).  Bottom line, for a DD the front-to-back Length (or diameter for round coils) dimension alone (not footprint area) determines relative swing coverage.

None of this math and nerd gack changes the fact that there are not optional accessory coils for the MDT in the size you desire and I get that.

I don’t have this detector nor a dog in the hunt regarding the MDT manufacturer’s decision on providing coil options. I wouldn’t have gone here but you were the one doing the math in the first place and I just noticed it was inconsistent with how DD coils work and not supporting the point you were trying to make FWIW.

• Haha 1

I like the windshield wiper analogy, but I don't think it's necessary to use the sweetspot (sweetline) of the DD coil in the analogy.  Suppose you replace your vehicle's windshield wiper blade with a circular sponge of the same size (length for standard wiper, diameter for the sponge).  Do you increase the coverage for a swing?  Yes, but only at the ends of the swipe so not a significant effect.

But I do agree that the coil area isn't relevent for coverage.   The area of the coil would be directly applicable if you were only using non-motion (all metal) mode = pinpoint mode, and only then if you kept the coil stationary.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Suppose you replace your vehicle's windshield wiper blade with a circular sponge of the same size (length for standard wiper, diameter for the sponge).  Do you increase the coverage for a swing?  Yes, but only at the ends of the swipe so not a significant effect.

Having trouble visualizing this alternate analogy.  The sweet spot of the DD is the only part of the coil that detects targets other than edge effects for large or shallow targets (which really just causes noise).  Whereas a sponge actually removes water across its entire surface area analagous to a concentric being able to detect targets anywhere within the inner loop.  I know I'm probably just missing something obvious so I need a picture I guess.  Lol.  Nevertheless same conclusion, length vs. area determines swing coverage in either case.  Thanks.

• Haha 1