steveg

Input Needed -- Regarding Counter-weight System For Equinox Shafts...

9 minutes ago, steveg said:

Alluminati, 

No, I am trying to offer a way to counter-balance the machine for LAND hunters, since many have reported the nose-heaviness of the machine as being a problem -- even to the point of causing arm/elbow pain.  I'm trying to offer a solution to that issue, for those who are struggling with the imbalance/ergonomics issues with the EQX.

Steve

I have heard that the 15" coil is nice for it's size.

Basically you should counter balance if you can move existing weight around, obviously adding more weight will only exacerbate pained joints despite some anecdotal reports.

You don't see any nugget hunters with counter balance do you? I don't pay that much attention, but it seems they use harnesses even though their machines are fairly well balanced compared to a VLF coin machine.

I'm not saying adding a few ounce might feel a little better, just that it will take a substantial amount of weight to put the CoG where you want it to be balanced.

Still don't believe me? Take a look at the balanced Excalibur straight shaft, it has all of the electronics and a heavy cadmium battery way back behind the elbow to balance the coil, there isn't even a screen up front.

Alluminati --

Thanks for your thoughts.  Yes, the 15" coil is not bad at all, weight-wise, as compared to other large coils I've used.

I am not sure I would agree, though, that a well-balanced 3.5 pound machine (which is what the EQX and 11" coil would roughly weigh, with a carbon-fiber shaft reducing the weight, and 12 ounces of counterweight added), would "exacerbate pained joints" as compared to an imbalanced, nose-heavy 3 pound machine.

Yes, a harness is another option, for making the machine more comfortable, for those who feel it is not comfortable enough.

Still, 

• Like 1

I was thinking about a simple counter weight for a detector that was easy to attach or remove and thought that a Ram mount might work, they come in different lengths, the one pictured is 31/2 in and I have 4oz fishing weight in it, it is very secure, takes seconds to attach, a 6in might be better but I’m sure that with a bit of thought a system could be put together that works well.

84D10A09-4637-4A61-8A10-622CA9DD19B3.jpeg

96DC0327-BA3D-45CF-A30C-75B9B2F3665C.jpeg

Voyager -- 

Very cool, and inventive!  I never heard of a "Ram mount," but it's an interesting mount.  And it looks like it does the trick for you!  Thanks for sharing yet another idea!

Steve

16 minutes ago, steveg said:

Voyager -- 

Very cool, and inventive!  I never heard of a "Ram mount," but it's an interesting mount.  And it looks like it does the trick for you!  Thanks for sharing yet another idea!

Steve

Thanks

Ram mounts are used for mounting cameras and fish finders on Kayaks or gps on motorcycles etc, lots of uses, lots of selection.

AHH.  Gotcha!  Thanks for that info, Voyager!

I learned something new!  That always makes it a successful day!  😉

Steve

Everyone --

A couple of announcements.

FIRST -- 

After working for awhile to hammer out the details, I'm happy to announce that I've reached an agreement with my friend Jeff Herke, regarding custom arm cuffs for the EQX shafts.  Jeff has agreed to provide an initially limited run of "Herke arm cuffs," that will be sold as a custom accessory for my complete shaft system.  The cuffs will be nearly identical to Herke cuffs you may own/have owned for other machines, and will also include optional padded neoprene cuff covers.  Depending upon demand for this initial production run of cuffs, Jeff will decide whether or not to continue to produce additional cuffs, as needed.  I'll have these Herke cuffs uploaded to my website, at the same time the complete shafts first become available (estimated mid-January).

SECOND --

After a couple of days of thinking, partially shaped by feedback from many folks (thanks to all) -- I believe I am very close to finalizing the design for the counterweigh system, enough to order parts for prototype testing. My plan is to produce the counterweights from 35mm O.D. x 33mm I.D. carbon-fiber tubes. They will screw into the butt-end of the shaft via threaded connectors, and will be capped by a threaded end cap. The threaded end cap will allow for easy addition/removal of weight, as the customer desires. I will also be purchasing a supply of heavy-duty ziplock bags, which will be of roughly the same diameter as the inside of the carbon-fiber tube. The bags will be of various heights -- to accommodate several different amounts of weight (lead pellets). I will ship either WITH lead included, or without, depending upon customer desire. I plan to supply 2" tall bags (to accommodate roughly 8 - 10 oz. of weight), 3" tall bags (to accommodate roughly 12 to 15 oz. of weight), and 6" tall bags (to accommodate roughly 24-30 oz. weight).

Using 35mm O.D. tubes, the top of the counterweight tube will be on the same plane as/flush with the bottom of the arm cuff. I expect to be able to keep the weights to a maximum of 6" length or less, per customer specification (6" being long enough to accommodate the weight needed to fully balance the 15" coil). Purchase of a roughly 6" counterweight would therefore allow any combination of weight (via pellets in the plastic bags) to be added or removed, simply by removing the end cap. Shorter counterweights will be constructed in the same way (likely in roughly 2" and 4" lengths), and -- while still including the threaded end cap and plastic bags, so as to be "customizable" in terms of the amount of weight, the shorter-length tubes would of course not accommodate quite as much weight.

At this point, calculations show that 2 1/2" or so of tube length will hold roughly 12 oz. weight, 4.75" or so will hold roughly 25 oz. of weight, and 5 1/2" or so will hold 28 oz. weight.

I chose to specifically mention 12 oz., 25 oz., and 28 oz. as the weights to use as example tube lengths, for this reason:

Assuming "average" lower shaft adjustment length, and a "reasonable" shaft angle, relative to the ground (i.e. swinging the coil a moderate/reasonable distance out from your feet)…

12 oz. is roughly the amount of weight needed to COMPLETELY BALANCE the machine with 6" coil.

12 oz. is ALSO roughly the amount of weight needed to offset the weight difference between the 6" coil and the 12" x 15" coil; said another way, 12 oz. counterweight will make the machine feel the same when swinging the 12" x 15" coil, as it would when swinging the 6" coil with NO counterweight.

25 oz. is roughly the amount of weight needed to COMPLETELY BALANCE the machine for the 11" coil.

28 oz. is roughly the amount of weight needed to COMPLETELY BALANCE the machine for the 12" x 15" coil.

I would like to stress again, that it's completely up to the user as to the amount of counterweight which is "right" for their needs/desires/preferences. Some may wish for COMPLETE balance, for the larger coils; others may wish to only offset the additional weight added when using one of the larger coils. Still others may wish only for a few ounces of counterweight, just to "help a little." And of course, MANY folks will prefer no counterweights at all -- preferring instead the benefits of a lighter machine, as afforded by the carbon-fiber shaft without counterweights.

The bottom line is this -- this design of the counterweight system will allow complete customer flexibility in terms of exactly what length of counterweight they wish for me to produce for them, and exactly what amount of weight they wish to include in that tube.

Thanks all, for all your input. These interactions have been quite helpful toward finalizing the design. I think that at this point, with the weights as an optional accessory, this design will allow the most flexibility possible in terms of individual customer wishes -- ranging anywhere from NO COUNTERWEIGHT AT ALL (and thus a lighter machine than when using the stock shaft system), all the way up through fully balancing the 12" x 15" coil via roughly 28oz. counterweight -- plus any other combination of desired counterweight/balance in between.

For those wondering, the Equinox using my prototype shaft system weighs in at roughly 2.75 pounds, as compared to the stock unit at right around 3 pounds.

Thanks!

Steve

• Like 2

EVERYONE -- just thought I'd provide an update.  Parts arrived today, for the counterweight tubes.  I'm VERY pleased with how they have turned out!  Here is a 6 15/16" counterweight tube for the Minelab Equinox carbon-fiber shaft, which is capable of holding up to 30 oz. weight. Remember, any weight/length of tube can be produced, up to the full 6 15/16", per customer needs/desires.

THANKS to everyone who provided ideas/suggestions during the thread!

Steve

CWflashcapon(small).JPG

CWflashcapoff(small).JPG

CWcapon(small).JPG

CWinstalled-end1.JPG

Awesome design Steve! If the finished product is anything like your lower rods it will be a great product.

Beach Hunter (Rusty)

THANKS, Rusty!  I appreciate your kind words!

Steve