GPX Power Cord Why Why Why?!!

Daniel Tn

Just my opinion...I feel the power cord that goes from the battery to the detector is the weakest link in the whole detector system.  You can just breath on the thin metal around the plug prongs and bend it.  

The factory Minelab ones are super fragile. If you barely bump them on something, they are going to bend.  Last week I was hooking myself up to go detecting and the cord end hit the ground.  Not pavement mind you...just grass and dirt.  I picked it up and saw it had bent it!  I luckily had a pair of needle nose in the truck and was able to halfway bend it back in shape to where I could hook it up but I was worried about it breaking.  This isn't the first time this has happened with previous GPX models.  Anyway...I decided to go after market on the cord.  I bought a CoilTek and it came this morning.  To my dismay...it too is very thin and came out of the shipping package bent!  Why can't they make those things a little tougher!??  Such a critical part that is made so flimsy and cheap.  I know a lot of guys go to the Gold Screamer pack and eliminate the big cord all together.  I tried one and did not like the sound quality so I went back to the regular setup.  I don't even mind being tethered to the battery...just wish the ends of the power cord were beefier.  I was at a DIV one year where a guy dropped his cord in the hotel parking lot and he bent his so bad that he couldn't straighten it well enough to use. His hunt was shot because of a small incident.

minelab-gpx-series-power-cable.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Just my opinion...I feel the power cord that goes from the battery to the detector is the weakest link in the whole detector system.  You can just breath on the thin metal around the plug prongs and bend it.  

The factory Minelab ones are super fragile. If you barely bump them on something, they are going to bend.  Last week I was hooking myself up to go detecting and the cord end hit the ground.  Not pavement mind you...just grass and dirt.  I picked it up and saw it had bent it!  I luckily had a pair of needle nose in the truck and was able to halfway bend it back in shape to where I could hook it up but I was worried about it breaking.  This isn't the first time this has happened with previous GPX models.  Anyway...I decided to go after market on the cord.  I bought a CoilTek and it came this morning.  To my dismay...it too is very thin and came out of the shipping package bent!  Why can't they make those things a little tougher!??  Such a critical part that is made so flimsy and cheap.  I know a lot of guys go to the Gold Screamer pack and eliminate the big cord all together.  I tried one and did not like the sound quality so I went back to the regular setup.  I don't even mind being tethered to the battery...just wish the ends of the power cord were beefier.  I was at a DIV one year where a guy dropped his cord in the hotel parking lot and he bent his so bad that he couldn't straighten it well enough to use. His hunt was shot because of a small incident.

LOL. That happens to me every time I go out. It hits the ground and bends or hits anything while in the trunk and bends. Needle nose pliers are your best friend. The easiest fix would be some kind of plastic protector cap that attaches on both ends of the cable and covers the ends pieces while in transit. They can just dangle, attached to the cable, when you are using the cable. Then put the caps back on and it should be good enough. No one is going to change the design unfortunately.

• Like 1

I have had the same problem with the factory cord, only mine the wire breaks just behind the connector. I've ended up soldering new connectors on the end of the cord only to have the other end breaking. I bought a new Coiltek late last year and it has been very good so far. I did end up bending the end a little but not to the extent it can't be used. I just ended up wrapping it up and putting it in my backpack being careful when I am hooking it up to the machine. I do think the Coiltek coil is a much superior cord than the Minelab one

• Like 2