Lunk's Zed Settings

Lunk

I thought I was just deaf re. volume but is good to see your settings Lunk, I also found target response a little weak at the default of 8. Your threshold seems high but that is something I`ll definitely have a shot at, plus it probably varies from machine to machine. All in the learning process and no doubt we`ll all develop favourite settings. Food for thought, good stuff.

• Like 2

Hey Lunk, great post! I appreciate your honest settings and tips after many, many hours in the NV gold fields with the ZED. I'll try to use them during the RP training session with Gerry and his team later this month. Hope to see you there,

Bill 

• Like 1

Hey Lunk, great post! I appreciate your honest settings and tips after many, many hours in the NV gold fields with the ZED. I'll try to use them during the RP training session with Gerry and his team later this month. Hope to see you there,

Bill

Thanks Bill, and yes I will be training at the 3-day detector training at Rye Patch...see you there!

• 4 years later...

Hi from OZ, have used Lunk's settings found gold, did a lesson with JP, used JP's conservative settings found gold. Last season run almost silent threshold max sense finding gold. Next up coming season going to switch from semi auto ground balance and try manual ground balance. Amazing machine, also going to try the SP01.

Cheers

• Like 3

Thanks Lunk, the desert areas have been kicking my butt, but thanks to Lucky Lundy & Mitchell and now your setting's I'm hoping to turn the corner, from being a good desert environmentalist by digging and removing Trash ( Haha ) to actually digging Gold target's. It's been a season of learning dwn here in Nevada ( Rye Patch area ) & Arizona ( Morristown & now Quartzite ) and will be trying out your number's in Quartzite today. Would like the ride back home to Alaska to include some desert Gold...….

• Like 1

It's such a sensitive machine it will pick up itty bitty pieces of frayed wire etc...the real challenge with it is recognizing deep targets from ground noise....good luck with your 7000 Simon it is a real metal detector...

strick

My preferred settings for the Zed are different. Whenever possible, I run my machine with High Yield/Normal/Smoothing off. I rather cut back on sensitivity than switching to difficult or to audio smoothing. I use difficult and smoothing only when there is absolutely no other choice. Both act like filters and you will miss small targets. I have tested this myself many times, including ye Patch, El Pasos, Quartzite, etc.. The only thing I sometimes do is switching to general/normal. In some cases, targets are better heard in general. The GPZ settings were discussed at length also at another thread a while back. Now, everybody has their own settings that work the best for them, and that's a good thing. I just found that for me audio smoothing and running the machine in difficult will diminish the GPZ performance very significantly.

The SP01 I only use on my SDC which is a great addition for this detector. Not only is the audio on the SDC very low which can be boasted with the SP01, but also the filter works such that small targets are being amplified. A little bit like the Volume setting on the Zed (not the Treshold level though). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 1:52 AM, phrunt said:

After all this time Lunk, are you still using these settings and finding them the best?

Is anyone else following Lunks lead?

I'm hooking up the Steelphase SP01 Audio Enhancer to my GPZ and am currently working through my audio settings.  I figured I'd best to have the GPZ's audio low and let the SP01 do the work but other parts of your settings seem interesting and worth trying.

Still using those general settings, but running the threshold at 27 or 28. Change the Gold Mode and or Ground Type according to ground conditions and type/depth of gold. How are the settings working out with the SteelPhase?