Seeing other people making great finds really motivates me to get out there and do more detecting. Thank's for posting your story on a truly amazing hunt !

• Like 1

Strick congratulation. I have some advice that's a very nice coin and you will never forget that feeling when you found it. I told the story here of finding two $5 gold some time back also I found a 2 1/2  1836 on the Santa Fe trail in 1988 that is the one I wear.

I used to look at my finds once a year at our metal detecting open house and realized that I would never get rid of my gold coins  so I had a friend make me a bezel and bought a nice gold chain, I wear it at least once a week and the feeling of when I found it comes back every time.   You will never forget the feeling.

Enjoy Stick.  

• Like 2

Congrats Strick, incredible finds!

BTW That 1856-S seated dime is likely, from a numismatic perspective, more valuable then the $2-1/2 gold coin, in the condition it appears to be, it may well be a $1000+ coin :blink:  Just an XF30 is $600 according to PCGS, but yours looks to be more around an AU50 IMO.  You example is nicer than this one that sold at HA for over $2000 in 2012:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-dimes/1856-s-10c-au50-pcgs/a/1172-3395.s?hdnJumpToLot=1&x=0&y=0#

Congrats again, what a great hunt!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

BTW That 1856-S seated dime is likely, from a numismatic perspective, more valuable then the $2-1/2 gold coin, in the condition it appears to be, it may well be a $1000+ coin :blink:  Just an XF30 is $600 according to PCGS, but yours looks to be more around an AU50 IMO.  You example is nicer than this one that sold at HA for over $2000 in 2012:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-dimes/1856-s-10c-au50-pcgs/a/1172-3395.s?hdnJumpToLot=1&x=0&y=0#

Congrats again, what a great hunt!

Thanks Cal...it's in a safe spot. 

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I thought this spot had been hunted out long before I got there. Mostly what we find there is lead. The pictures that show all the trash were from a different spot closer to home. Never give up on a spot and don't be afraid to wander away from where all the main activity was. 

strick

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Good one, I found a gold coin with my T2 once, turned out to be a fake ?  But yes, that's a very nice looking coin and sounds like it's worth a packet.

Bro, not familiar with "packet"? From the context I gather that it means quite a bit or alot; I couldn't find it on a web search of NZ slang.