Celebrating A Nice Gold Find? You Might Consider...

.... what an old Fortyniner did when he struck it rich panning for gold near Placerville (aka "Hangtown") California circa 1849 or 1850. Tired of eating grizzly bear, deer, and biscuits, he went to the Cary House Hotel Restaurant in Placerville, and asked what were the most expensive food items available. "Eggs, oysters, and bacon" was the answer. The Argonaut ordered up an omelet made of those items, which became known as "The Hangtown Fry." It has become the most "iconic" food item from California Gold Rush. HH Jim

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Jimmy M said:

.... what an old Fortyniner did when he struck it rich panning for gold near Placerville (aka "Hangtown") California circa 1849 or 1850. Tired of eating grizzly bear, deer, and biscuits, he went to the Cary House Hotel Restaurant in Placerville, and asked what were the most expensive food items available. "Eggs, oysters, and bacon" was the answer. The Argonaut ordered up an omelet made of those items, which became known as "The Hangtown Fry." It has become the most "iconic" food item from California Gold Rush. HH Jim

Here ya go! Merry Christmas! ? Ig

https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HangtownFryHistory.htm

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the kitchen were ingredients ready to be cook'n.  I read this story and thought with glee, I've got oysters and bacon let's go see.

This was the night to have oyster stew so I re-read the recipe to know what to do.  For Hangtown Fry, I fried the oysters with care and simmered the bacon until it was fair. 

The remaining oysters were placed in a pan, the half and half added and the stew was on its way to be ready again.  I looked away to cut some bread and then, OH NO ... a sight to dread!  Cream and oysters had erupted from the pot ... this was not supposed to happen I thought.  I was alone in the kitchen and I wasn't quit'n because I still had my mission. 

Milk and spice were added to make everything nice but I know I was not thru.

When dinner was done the top had to come off, the burners removed and then put it all back together again.  

How was your Christmas Eve?

• Like 1